WAMC c/o 2027, first time applicant! Lower GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pxton

Reaction score
Ive decided that I wanted to apply this application cycle instead of waiting next year. I want to be realistic and honestly know what are my chances, especially with submitting my vmcas application at the end of august.

I am 23 yr, NJ resident, and just graduated from college in NJ.

Cumulative GPA: 3.33 (graduated with my BS with this)
science GPA: 3.09 ( i put all science and math I have done up to this point, but i didn't average classes I have already taken. I just replaced the bad with the higher grade)
last 45: 3.06 ( if i calculated this right, doing a class right now so will change)

I know my grades aren't the greatest and definitely a weak point. I have some C- which I know automatically dismisses me from some schools that need C or up.

Any degrees achieved
B.S in Biology

GRE results: did not take as these schools dont require at the moment.

Schools applying to:

U Washington, U Minnesota, SGU, RVC, U Wisconsin-madison, Cornell (although i feel like unlikely to get in here???)

Animal Experience:
Most, if not all, my experience with animals have been paid/employed.
Animals I own/have owned in the past: leopard gecko, hedgehog, garter snake, parakeets, dog, and cat.

- Small Animal: Dogs and Cats
- Large Animal: Only at the zoo. There were ponies, a donkey, and a zebu
- Farm animals: At the zoo I was able to work with goats, kune kune pigs, chickens, llamas, the ponies, donkey, and zebu.
- Exotic: At the zoo I was able to work with the stingrays, a few chances with the wallabies and kangaroo, and the emu. Also worked with the parakeets.

I am going to calculate the hours shortly.

Research Experience:
I worked with my professor who does marine biology research. I assisted him with his research on clinging jellyfish and eel grass restoration here in NJ for a year in my last year of college. I was both in the lab setting of looking under a microscope to help identify what was in samples, and also going out on the boat to retrieve samples and also assist with planting eelgrass beds. I was fortunate that this was a paid internship as well.

Awards/scholarships:
-
Dean's/Merit list
- Emergency medical technician certification (from 2015-2018)

Extracurriculars:
High School:
- Camp raspberry (this was a club that helped kids with varying disabilities come out and meet other kids, have fun, and do various activities.) I helped run this my senior year, but I wasn't president of it.
- Theater Club (helped with building the sets)
- Ambulance corp member

College:
- Environmental Club
- Biology Club (I wasn't an active participant, but I was told that just being a biology student and paying the student fees automatically made me a member)
- Ambulance corp member

The issue with my extracurriculars is that I had/have to work, so I feel like I lack in this sense.

LORS (currently asking for these, but planning on:)
1 DVM who i work with
3 professors (one being research professor)
1 employer (I have dog sat for her and her daughter for years now, I feel like she can attest to my passion for animals)
I want to add one more to make the full 6 but im not sure who to ask at this moment.

Employment:
- Pet sitting for various different animals (dogs, cats, birds, frogs, geckos, hermit crabs, etc)
- Swim Club for several summers (Cashier, gate, camp counselor) 2012- 2019
- Kennel Assistant 2015-2020
- Guest Experience Keeper at a zoo (worked with farm animals and assisted with guest related areas) 2020-2021
~~ dismissed from zoo due to staffing related issues due to covid~~
- Vet assistant 2021- Present

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there! I know you said you’re calculating your hours but that would help immensely for those seeing what your chances might be. Also I know you have a catergory “animal experience” but are you able to divide which were veterinary and which were strictly animal? I think that would give a better idea at where you stand. Super cool you got to work with some exotics!!

Hi! :)
So for rough estimates:
- I was a Kennel Assistant from 2015-2020, this is about 2000 hours or so
- I was a Guest Experience Keeper at a zoo from 2020-2021, my paychecks show roughly 1100 hours
- I am a current Vet assistant which started in 2021 until present, this is probably around 1000 hours, but will need to confirm that. This will definitely be higher by the time I submit the application as well.
- For petting sitting i'm still figuring that out, but Im sure that would be a higher number as well.

Everything is pretty much strictly animal, except the hours from being a vet assistant. I think I could potentially swing a few hours from being a kennel assistant, but that would only minimal.

Reactions: 1 user