WAMC? c/o 2027 first time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flotus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit **** Please, help! I don't have access to a pre-vet advisor and I feel like I've been doing this on my own for 4 years (ha.)

GPA: 3.63

Science GPA: 3.30

*Both will hopefully improve as I have yet to receive term grades this semester. I’m a traditional senior but taking a fifth year. Planning to graduate May 2023

Major: Double major in B.S. in Biology w/ cellular physiology track and B.A. in Philosophy with a track in bioethics
and a certificate in Ethics

Concerns:
  • 3 W’s on my transcript. None were WF’s. All were withdrawn due to scheduling conflicts and have been retaken for a A’s/B’s.
  • I took p/f classes in Spring 2020. Only one pre-req/bio course was taken that semester and it was genetics
Vet experience:
  • ~ 4,000 hours at mixed animal, single vet practice over 4 years
  • ~ 400 hours at a small animal clinic, two vet practice
  • ~ 200 hours at a mobile vet clinic
Animal experience:
  • 1 year western equine team
  • ~ 50 hours volunteering at a no-kill cat shelter
  • ~ 100 hours volunteering at a therapeutic horseback riding center for foster children/children with disabilities
  • 2 years pet-sitting experience
Research Experience:
  • ~ 50 hours conducting longitudinal research on a graduate project with the school of public health at my university. Project focused on HIV stigma among African American youth in my city and how that relates to incarceration rates.
Internship Experience:
  • (If admitted to internship program) ~ 50 hours (very rough estimate, because I am unsure of my schedule if I am admitted to this program. Hopefully more hours.) as a diversity, equity, and inclusion intern at my university. I would be conducting seminars and hosting events with professors/departments/clubs/etc. about how to become more inclusive and fostering an equitable environment for staff and students.
Extracurriculars/Achievements/Volunteer:
  • 1 year, Vice President TRIO SSS program (federally funded program for disadvantaged college students)
  • 1 year, social media coordinator for TRIO SSS program
  • ~ 20 hours Lead365 Leadership conference
  • ~ 15 hours National Conference on Student Leadership
  • 1 year, TRIO SSS buddy (mentorship program)
  • 4 years, Pre-vet society member
  • Trustee’s Scholar (academic admissions scholarship)
  • KEES Scholar (academic admissions scholarship)
  • Volunteer of the year award, TRIO SSS
  • 1 year, riding and racing club member
Exams:

Not taking

Special Circumstances: low-income, first-generation, Mckinney-Vento (homeless unaccompanied youth)

Questions:

Where should I apply? What are my chances?
(My in-state school is Auburn. I am not applying there this cycle due to some courses not being offered at my institution). I do have ten schools I am interested in. My top school is Purdue.

I am using the explanation statement to explain why I have W’s on my transcript, chose to take p/f, including homelessness/chronic illness/family issues etc. Is this okay or frowned upon?

I took 3 AP courses in HS. The test credits appear on my college transcripts. Is this sufficient or do I need to order my high school transcript? I saw where someone said they forgot to enter their college classes from high school, and they were immediately rejected.

Should I include my high school achievements and club participation? What if I cannot remember a direct contact?

I participated in rodeo for 7 years but all before high school, should I include this? Where?

Should I include working somewhere like Mcdonald's or serving jobs? Do I have to?

How can I improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly I think you have some great experiences and your GPA is fine!

The explanation statement is a great place to explain that stuff and if you have valid reasons, it is not frowned upon

Also school list wise: I’d highly try and be able to apply to your IS. Tuition for out of state continues to get more and more expensive; it’s unreal. Also schools are getting really competitive for OOS spots,
so just chose wisely since applying can be pricey!

Reactions: 1 user
I think your application looks good, only weak point is maybe your science GPA, I'd try to get that up as much as you can, and make sure your last 45 credits are also as high as you can get them. I would agree that if you qualify for your IS you should apply there as that should be less competitive to get into, however if you aren't applying there then it is probably good that you are applying to a large number of schools to increase your odds.

You don't need to order high school transcripts if the AP credits are listed on your college transcript. I believe there's only issues if you don't list any college credits you get.

I would definitely include high school achievements/activities as well, some schools do specifically look for these. You don't need to list contact information for each experience. I would also recommend listing all of your serving jobs, as customer service experience always looks good and is definitely applicable to vet med.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am using the explanation statement to explain why I have W’s on my transcript, chose to take p/f, including homelessness/chronic illness/family issues etc. Is this okay or frowned upon?
I had 4 Ws -- maybe a fifth in there somewhere, can't remember. The schools I applied to were absolutely fine about this - no one gave me a hard time. But, full disclosure, my IS (neither of the schools you mentioned) did give me a hard enough time about the withdrawals that I didn't apply there -- they told me more or less they wouldn't take me - though I suspect this isn't terribly common. So I definitely recommend reaching out to each of your ten schools and speaking with an admissions counselor. All of the people I've spoken

Should I include my high school achievements and club participation? What if I cannot remember a direct contact?
yep. include everything you can think of. I graduated high school ten years prior to my application. I'd lost contact with my directors and coach from theatre and hockey, but I just put friends down that could serve as references that I was there. I don't think anyone phoned up my buddies and was like, 'So how did Max play in the 2009-2010 hockey season? Did she spend a lot of time in the penalty box?'. Occasionally, for a few things like photography, I didn't put anyone down at all and nobody ever asked.
Should I include working somewhere like Mcdonald's or serving jobs? Do I have to?
I would; I put all of my food service experience. I think I even put my cashier job from like, 2008. It shows that you're willing to work hard outside the field, and if you worked while you were in school, it shows that you can balance your life a bit. I can't see how it would hurt.
How can I improve my application?
What are the other schools you're applying to? Each are a little different and it might be helpful to know.
If it helps, I got into Tufts and Ohio with a 3.4 cumulative GPA. no clue what my science GPA was anymore, but I had a good number of Cs.

I had 4 Ws -- maybe a fifth in there somewhere, can't remember. The schools I applied to were absolutely fine about this - no one gave me a hard time. But, full disclosure, my IS (neither of the schools you mentioned) did give me a hard enough time about the withdrawals that I didn't apply there -- they told me more or less they wouldn't take me - though I suspect this isn't terribly common. So I definitely recommend reaching out to each of your ten schools and speaking with an admissions counselor. All of the people I've spoken

yep. include everything you can think of. I graduated high school ten years prior to my application. I'd lost contact with my directors and coach from theatre and hockey, but I just put friends down that could serve as references that I was there. I don't think anyone phoned up my buddies and was like, 'So how did Max play in the 2009-2010 hockey season? Did she spend a lot of time in the penalty box?'. Occasionally, for a few things like photography, I didn't put anyone down at all and nobody ever asked.

I would; I put all of my food service experience. I think I even put my cashier job from like, 2008. It shows that you're willing to work hard outside the field, and if you worked while you were in school, it shows that you can balance your life a bit. I can't see how it would hurt.

What are the other schools you're applying to? Each are a little different and it might be helpful to know.
If it helps, I got into Tufts and Ohio with a 3.4 cumulative GPA. no clue what my science GPA was anymore, but I had a good number of Cs.
Thank your for this information! All of it is helpful.

I am thinking of applying to: Purdue, Ohio State, Lincoln-Memorial, Illinois, Colorado State, U Penn, Cornell, LSU, Tufts, Mississippi, Mizzou, and maybe UF

I will apply to my in state next cycle if I don't get in. The only reason I can't now is due to a class that would need to be taken outside of my institution and I don't want to delay my application any longer!

I am thinking of applying to: Purdue, Ohio State, Lincoln-Memorial, Illinois, Colorado State, U Penn, Cornell, LSU, Tufts, Mississippi, Mizzou, and maybe UF

I will apply to my in state next cycle if I don't get in. The only reason I can't now is due to a class that would need to be taken outside of my institution and I don't want to delay my application any longer!

I will say UF, Mizzou and Cornell are pretty GPA focused, not to say you can’t/won’t get in but just a general trend.

Are you able to take that course online through another school? You’d be looking at saving probably 100-200k by going to your in state, so I really think it’s worth it to do everything you can to apply there.

Reactions: 2 users

yeah I recommend asking cornell about the Ws and the statement.

Ohio & Tufts should be okay. both of the admissions counselors are the nicest people so I also recommend reaching out.

Reactions: 1 user
I will say UF, Mizzou and Cornell are pretty GPA focused, not to say you can’t/won’t get in but just a general trend.

Are you able to take that course online through another school? You’d be looking at saving probably 100-200k by going to your in state, so I really think it’s worth it to do everything you can to apply there.
Yes, I can take the course online and if I am not accepted this cycle then I definitely will. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to do it this semester/before this application deadline.

Yes, I can take the course online and if I am not accepted this cycle then I definitely will. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to do it this semester/before this application deadline.
Even if you can't take it before the deadline, would you be able to list the course as "planned" for the future on VMCAS and take it before you would theoretically matriculate into a school next year? I believe most schools allow you to apply with a few pre-reqs still pending.

Reactions: 3 users
Even if you can't take it before the deadline, would you be able to list the course as "planned" for the future on VMCAS and take it before you would theoretically matriculate into a school next year? I believe most schools allow you to apply with a few pre-reqs still pending.
Yes! I could list it as planned. I will still have biochem and orgo chem 2 that will be listed as planned and will need to be completed by May of 2023. If I chose to take it now and listed it as planned, I would still not have it completed by the deadline. It would need to be completed by the end of May 2023. I don’t have time to dedicate to it, and I’ve already told myself that’s not in my plans for this cycle. I still have 2 more semesters of coursework to complete and I just don’t have the time to dedicate to it right now.