WAMC c/o 2027 first time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hw13

Reaction score
Applying to: LMU, Ross, SGU, UTenn, UofA, UGA (in-state), and Auburn
Cumulative GPA: 3.90
science GPA: Probably around 3.6 or 3.7
last 45: 3.87 (unless I calculated wrong)

Any degrees achieved: B.S. Biology

GRE results:
Q/V/W - have not taken yet! Supposed to in 2 weeks

Veterinary Experience:
- About 1,000 hours in SA clinic as tech assistant
- Around 50 hours in equine/large animal

Animal Experience:
- 300 hrs as a kennel tech at same clinic
- 250 hrs fostering animals
- 100 hrs volunteering at local animal shelter
- 400 hrs interning at wildlife rehabilitation center

Research Experience: none :(

Awards/scholarships:

-Summa Cum Laude - College
-Magna Cum Laude - HS
-President's List or Dean's List all 4 years of college
-A few ASPCA certifications - they were free courses so not sure how much value they hold!
-C.E.T certification for Dental Health in Dogs/Cats

Extracurriculars:
-Multiple positions in my sorority
-Pre-vet club
-Phi Eta Sigma
-NSCS
-Dance Marathon
-2 varsity sports in high school
-FFA officer and member from high school
-Partners' club (school club that builds relationships and interactions with special need students)

Employment:
- Small Animal Clinic I currently work at
-I also have my own small business in which I sell custom made orders like cups, shirts, bags, etc. on the side
-Also did DoorDash and Postmates when I couldn't work in a consistent job during school
-Interned at a commercial real estate agency before deciding to apply to vet school so not sure if that would matter!

I feel like no matter how prepared I am, I will always feel like I can be better so I've been really hard on myself the last few months after I decided to officially apply! I haven't been able to find anything on my IS school (UGA) so I'm unsure of how likely it is I get in with the experience hours/gpa I have. It's been difficult finding wildlife/exotic/aquatic vets in the area I'm in.
Also, it was extremely difficult for me to fit in rigorous upper level courses because of scheduling conflicts with required courses for me so I'm worried that some of my upper levels that don't relate to vet med that much (like Field Biology, Wildlife Management, Invertebrate classes, and a few others) will hurt me when being compared to people who were able to take more medical related classes!
Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I think you have a pretty well-rounded application. Ross and SGU will probably be no-brainers considering they are pretty "easy" to get into when talking vet schools. UGA, I'd say will consider you as well especially since you are IS. Honestly, I think each of these schools will give you good consideration. Don't sweat the no research portion, not everyone has done it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! About to start year 1 at Auburn. You have better stats than me and I was accepted. Write strong essays and have strong letters of recommendation and I believe you will be fine! I did not have any research experience and got into 5 schools this past cycle!

IMO you’re a solid applicant and have a shot at all of these schools. Best of luck!