WAMC c/o 2027, reapplication, schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umbrezon

LMU c/o 2026!
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wanted to gain more perspective about my application and see how I can continue to improve it for the upcoming application process. I have been rejected so far from UT Knoxville and Ohio State, and wanted to see if anyone had advice for what schools I should be applying to. I am waiting to hear back from NC State which is my in-state school and Lincoln Memorial University.

I also wanted some perspective on what kind of experience I should look for/what I should do over the coming year for experience as I will likely be taking a gap year. As I have my BS in Biology, I was thinking about looking into some jobs having to do with working near a veterinarian in research. I also received an internship offer for over the summer taking care of horses at a kids/tourist camp. Is this the best path I should take or should I do anything else?

I know my GPA is also maybe not the greatest, I did struggle a lot with the pandemic and some personal issues caused me to struggle. I also have two withdraws on my transcript and one C. The first withdraw was Quantitative Analysis because I realized I did not want to pursue a Chemistry degree anymore, did not enjoy the class at all. The second withdraw was Calculus 1 during the pandemic as I was struggling with the learning format and decided to take it this semester. The C I received was in Precalculus as I am not the best with math and had trouble with the concepts. I am in Calculus 1 right now and doing a lot better this time around, hoping to make an A in the class if not a B.

Cumulative GPA: 3.555 currently
science GPA: unsure, don't know how to find this but likely a little bit lower than my cumulative
last 45: close to cumulative I believe

Any degrees achieved
I'm graduating with my BS in Biology this year. I am graduating with an Honors College degree, have participated in this program since I was a freshman.

GRE results: Did not take but open to taking it this year.

Veterinary Experience:

- Approx 1500 hours at a general practice in my hometown, worked here as a veterinary assistant since my junior year of high school. This place also saw a good variety of patients that I include on my application that I was able to help with, wildlife (deer or owls), exotics, and a lot of birds.
- Approx 40 hours working ER shifts as a veterinary assistant at a place near my college, I started this job within the last few weeks so I'll accumulate more hours as I go.

Animal Experience:
- Approx 400 hours volunteering at a local animal shelter since high school.
- Approx 100 hours doing horseback riding lessons when I was younger in a 4-H program
- Approx 180 hours in horseback camps when I was younger.

Research Experience:
- Approx 96 hours working in an aquatic research lab on campus, sorting small arthropods and fish from a river in the area.
- Approx 40 hours doing a research project on CFTR proteins and mutations caused by the gene to make these proteins (wasn't sure if I should include this last year).
- Approx 50 hours in a lab researching bacteria that came from the mouths of decomposing humans.
- Approx 30 hours bird banding song sparrows on campus to see aggressive territorial patterns (wasn't sure if I should include this one as it is part of a lab in Animal Behavior?)

Letters of Recommendation
- Practice owner and veterinarian at the clinic I have a lot of hours with
- Associate veterinarian at the same clinic
- Professor who is also a veterinarian at my college who taught my Animal Phys class, did an extra project for my honors degree for the class.

Awards/scholarships:
- Deans List every semester except for the semester I took Precalculus
- Chancellors List a couple of semesters.
- Mildred Miller Fort Scholarship
- T. Ray Gibbs Scholarship
- Academic letters throughout high school every year (award in my high school for maintaining above a 3.9 GPA)
- Music Rating award of Excellent in 2018 at a music competition.

Extracurriculars:
- I was in marching band all throughout high school and continued into my junior year of college. I got to be a part of the Macy's Day Parade right before the pandemic.
- Esports club on campus for two years before the club disbanded.
- President of Animal Lover club on campus, volunteers at animal shelters.
- Pre vet club.
- Anime club.

Employment:
-
Approx 300 hours as a Biology Tutor on campus, tutored introductory biology courses and environmental biology
- Worked at Hardees and KFC when I was 16, wasn't sure if I should include this last cycle.

My personal statement focused on my interest in wildlife/exotics. Im not sure if this was the incorrect move since I don’t have as extensive experience with those besides my experience with them in the GP.

Thank you to anyone who provides any insight I appreciate it a lot!!

* edited to add LORs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: