WAMC c/o 2027, Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetschoolhopeful21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy! I am planning to apply for the first time this upcoming cycle and have estimated the number of hours I will have by the time I submit my application. I have fallen in love with poultry pathology and population medicine and hope pursue a career in that field.

I need advice on what OOS schools I should apply to!

Schools I’m applying to: TAMU (IS), TTU (IS)

Cumulative GPA: 3.68
Science GPA:
Last 45:

Degrees: B.S.Animal Science, graduated May 2021

GRE results: N/A

Veterinary Experience:
-2,300 as a technician at a poultry diagnostic lab (bacteriology/necropsy)
-97 shadowing at a mixed animal practice
-42 assisting in canine necropsies, biopsies, and physical exams through the research project I worked for
-26 large animal
-5 veterinary cytology rounds

Animal Experience:
-1,500 as a research animal caretaker
-100 exotic/zoo at an AZA accredited zoo
-30 from a hands-on canine socialization/training class
-30 sheep and goat from one of my animal science courses

Research Experience:
-300 as a student worker in a lab, canine kidney disease related

Awards/scholarships:
-Departmental scholarship for academic performance for Fall 2020/Spring 2021

Volunteer:
-Raising service dogs for veterans (3 semesters)
-Participated in a service learning program through my university while studying abroad (26 hr.)
-Recently joined a community volunteer organization in my new city

Extracurriculars:
-CrossFit
-Hiking and camping

Non-animal Employment:
-
Lifeguard for 3 summers

Members don't see this ad.

I'm generally a fan of geography, so look at the VMSAR at the nearby schools closest to you, like LSU and the Arizona schools, and see how close you can be to qualifying for them. Ask your references and vets that you work with if you can talk to people in their network. With two Texas programs, you should be able to at least cover the differences in training for them though you should apply to both.

Your just at or above average for your GPAs (though hard to gauge with TTU at this point). Your experience is also on par, with the poultry experience being pretty unique. So all good things! You'd be competitive at *most* schools.

Schools that *may* be difficult to gain acceptance as an OOS student: Oregon, Davis, CSU, LSU, Georgia, NC State, Penn, Cornell, and potentially Perdue. These schools may be difficult because they 1) drop the OOS pool from 2000+ to 200 pretty quick and you have to be a top student academically, 2) accept so few OOS students overall, 3) have a huge number of OOS applicants, or 4) a combination thereof.

For you specifically, you could potentially gain interview/acceptance from these difficult schools based on how relatively unique your personal presentation will be (not a lot of poultry peeps out there). But you'll have to make your application airtight because you'll be competing with so many other unique OOS students too.

I will plug Illinois for you as we have a huge poultry nerd, Dr. Yvette Johnson-Walker, who could hook you up in the future. However, if you're accepted anywhere cheaper, go there instead. You could network with other poultry nerds at conferences and such to get the hook ups you need.