WAMC - c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetlinds5

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Starting to get more nervous as I get further with applications, so thought I would come here for some advice haha!

Degree: BS in Biological Sciences (biomedical option) in ‘23
GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.69
Last 45: 3.83

Veterinary Experience
  • About 75 hours of shadowing in high school
  • 30 hour at vet med/volunteer focused study abroad with a broad range of species
  • Summer internship at private practice about 400 hours

Animal Experience
  • 50 hours at animal shelters volunteering
  • 500 hours as an animal care technician at teaching hospital working with teaching and research animals
  • 20 hours pre-vet club volunteer work

No research unfortunately

ECs/other
  • Pre-vet club
  • Bonding with animals through recreation on campus president
  • Previous employment at a marketing assistant
  • PADI open water diver
  • Interact club member and president (volunteer organization affiliated with Rotary)

Letters of recommendations
  • Professor of my parasitology course who is a veterinary parasitologist
  • Veterinarian I interned for over the summer
  • Academic advisor

Not taking the GRE

Comments: I am in state for Virginia-Maryland and will be a second time applicant there as I applied a year early (was offered an interview, waitlisted after). I am also going to apply to: LIU, Oregon, Kansas, Ohio, NCSU, Illinois, and Western university of health sciences. I’m a bit concerned about a lack of hours after seeing how much experience so many other people have on threads here!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Starting to get more nervous as I get further with applications, so thought I would come here for some advice haha!

Degree: BS in Biological Sciences (biomedical option) in ‘23
GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.69
Last 45: 3.83

Veterinary Experience
  • About 75 hours of shadowing in high school
  • 30 hour at vet med/volunteer focused study abroad with a broad range of species
  • Summer internship at private practice about 400 hours

Animal Experience
  • 50 hours at animal shelters volunteering
  • 500 hours as an animal care technician at teaching hospital working with teaching and research animals
  • 20 hours pre-vet club volunteer work

No research unfortunately

ECs/other
  • Pre-vet club
  • Bonding with animals through recreation on campus president
  • Previous employment at a marketing assistant
  • PADI open water diver
  • Interact club member and president (volunteer organization affiliated with Rotary)

Letters of recommendations
  • Professor of my parasitology course who is a veterinary parasitologist
  • Veterinarian I interned for over the summer
  • Academic advisor

Not taking the GRE

Comments: I am in state for Virginia-Maryland and will be a second time applicant there as I applied a year early (was offered an interview, waitlisted after). I am also going to apply to: LIU, Oregon, Kansas, Ohio, NCSU, Illinois, and Western university of health sciences. I’m a bit concerned about a lack of hours after seeing how much experience so many other people have on threads here!
Your GPA is good. Getting more diverse veterinary experiences is always a plus to your applications (ie diving into veterinary specialties, wildlife, exotics, large animal). Additionally, I've been told by admissions at some vet schools that they do get a lot of applications with 1000+ vet hours so wouldn't hurt to get more experience.

If you're able to get an application review that would provide the best advice directly from admissions on what you can improve for the next cycle.

If you want to apply to places that you will have the most likely acceptance, NCSU might not be the best choice. NCSU doesn't have that many OOS seats so just be aware of that. It may not be worth it to spend the money to apply. From a quick google search, for the class of 2021 there were only 20 OOS seats for 739 OOS applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
So keep in mind Virginia-Maryland does not consider your application after you receive an interview invite. Your interview is what determines if you get into school or not! So they obviously liked your application, the only advice i’d have is diversify your vet experience or animal experience!

Reactions: 1 users