WAMC c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmedhopeful416

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

25F, 3rd time applicant… I applied previously in 2019 and 2020, applied to 3-4 schools each time and was rejected. I had a very low undergraduate GPA, got a degree in Biology 2015-2019. My undergraduate GPA was 2.65.. I know, very low. I took 3 semesters post bacc to retake some courses and then Fall 2021 I started my masters degree. I am in my last semester of my masters in cell and molecular biology, of which I have maintained a 4.0 GPA. My cumulative GPA is still relatively low, around 2.9, but I have an amazing academic record the last two-three years. My overall science GPA is about 3.2. I gained some research experience in a lab during my masters degree, something I lacked before. I have about 12,000 vet hours, with 7600 of these hours as a tech (about 4000 of them as a credentialed technician). Most of my experience is in small animal medicine, but this summer I did about 40 hours of shadowing a large animal veterinarian. I have four letters of rec - 2 academic (my masters advisor and a professor from my masters program) and 2 DVM (one ER DVM, one DACVECC). My undergrad GPA was partly due to my mental health - i was struggling with undiagnosed ADHD and anxiety/depression at the time, my academic performance vastly improved once i got a handle on this and I did include that in my explanation statement. I scored into the third quartile on the casper.

Overall VMCAS GPA: 2.91
VMCAS Science GPA: 3.18
graduate science GPA: 4.0
Overall graduate GPA: 4.0
Undergrad GPA: 2.64
Last 45 credits GPA: 3.97

GRE: verbal 157 (76%) quantitative 154 (53%) writing 3.5 (39%)

Casper: 3rd quartile

Vet hours: over 12,000, 4,000 as a CVT in emergency and critical care, previous primary care experience (small animal)
40 hours of job shadowing equine vet

research experience: worked in a lab in my masters degree

School list: University of Arizona, Colorado, Cornell, Davis, Illinois, Iowa, LMU, LIU, MSU, Twin cities, Ross (idk if I can pull Ross off but I applied), virginia-maryland, Western health, and Wisconsin.

To summarize from my last application:
- started and am finishing a masters degree and cell and molecular biology, maintained 4.0 GPA thus far
- retook about 30 credits of undergraduate coursework
- raised GPA from 2.65 to currently 2.91 (it’s so hard to fix even despite quality academic performance)
- have switched from primary care to emergency medicine, have worked an additional 4500 hours as technician
- obtained credentials as a technician (CVT)
- obtained some research experience
- joined my employers diversity and inclusion committee
- was asked to join my hospitals operations committee (to provide suggestions on how to improve patient care)
- volunteered for schools conservation club (estimated 50 hours)
- done some large animal job shadowing as my experience is all in small animal/exotic medicine

I guess i’m just feeling increasingly nervous. I feel like i’ve done so much to improve my application and demonstrate my devotion and abilities, but that doesn’t change numbers. I applied to 14 schools.. kind of a last hoorah if you will. I did admissions counseling with every school that offered it, so that is documented for those schools. I feel so crowded by my own negative thoughts that I guess I thought I might benefit from some outside perspective. Thanks for reading my novel! I would appreciate some honest feedback.

much love,
- girl who’s trying her best

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here’s your breakdown in my eyes:
Your gpa is going to kill your chances when if the schools you applied to are willing to look at your application. You have a lot of experience and even research experience which is great!

However you’ve essentially wasted money on the following schools: Arizona, Davis, Illinois, Cornell. You might have a shot at the others but it’s likely you’ll be passed over for higher gpas when they make decisions.

On the plus side the 4.0 in a masters and your last 45 gpa are great which will likely influence the decision making for you getting selected for interviews. I know this sucks to hear!

Reactions: 1 user
I could see you getting an interview to Ross with your experience and masters as they are holistic and those will be very attractive to them. If I was in your position I would accept the seat if offered. As mentioned your GPA is going to knock you out of consideration for some of the schools you applied to. My uncle is the most successful (in financial aspects and life satisfaction) veterinarian I know and he is a Ross grad (and loved it). It takes real devotion to the field to make that decision, and I think you have displayed that with your persistence. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you write a very well-composed explanation statement, you’ve got more of a chance. I applied with a 2.9 cumulative and got exactly one interview invite, but it turned into an acceptance and now I’m a vet :shrug: It will absolutely be an uphill battle BUT you have great work to point to to show you can handle the tougher courses. Pair that with other struggles that you have (presumably? Hopefully?) now addressed and I think you can get in.

What I would do aside from work hard on your explanation statement would be more large animal work to balance out all the small animal you have.

I think if you write a very well-composed explanation statement, you’ve got more of a chance. I applied with a 2.9 cumulative and got exactly one interview invite, but it turned into an acceptance and now I’m a vet :shrug: It will absolutely be an uphill battle BUT you have great work to point to to show you can handle the tougher courses. Pair that with other struggles that you have (presumably? Hopefully?) now addressed and I think you can get in.

What I would do aside from work hard on your explanation statement would be more large animal work to balance out all the small animal you have.
Hey I have a low gpa as well what vet school did you graduate from?

Hey I have a low gpa as well what vet school did you graduate from?
Atlantic Veterinary College. It worked out because they considered specific courses when compiling a GPA, which made my GPA actually excellent for them because I could select my good grades for the vast majority of them. Your mileage may vary of course.

So far I have interviewed with LMU and have an interview with Ross in December. I would really like to potentially gain an interview with Long Island University who potentially is more holistic? i’m not sure since they’re so new

Hello, I applied to 17 schools this cycle (2nd time) and I’m wondering what my chances of being accepted into a vet school are. I applied with an overall GPA of 3.53, and had a 3.8 GPA in regards to the last 48 credits. I have experience with small animals, exotics such as wolfhybrids, and large animals. I have over 200 hours of volunteering at an animal shelter, 2000+ In regards to shadowing and working in a vets office, and 2 years of experience of working outside the veterinary community. I also completed an internship at a wildlife sanctuary, and started up a Soriorty at A&M Commerce, currently raising a wolfdog, and volunteer with McKinney lions organization weekly. My LORS were from veterinarians that I have worked with for several years, professors, and my previous boss.

I applied to A&M, Texas Tech, Iowa, Kansas, Lincoln (interviewed), Long Island, Purdue, Michigan, Midwestern (interviewed), UPenn, Ohio, Arizona (MMI waitlisted), WesternU, Virginia/Maryland, Tennessee, Minnesota, and Illinois’s (rejected).

If anyone could give me any insight I would really appreciate it.

L
Hello, I applied to 17 schools this cycle (2nd time) and I’m wondering what my chances of being accepted into a vet school are. I applied with an overall GPA of 3.53, and had a 3.8 GPA in regards to the last 48 credits. I have experience with small animals, exotics such as wolfhybrids, and large animals. I have over 200 hours of volunteering at an animal shelter, 2000+ In regards to shadowing and working in a vets office, and 2 years of experience of working outside the veterinary community. I also completed an internship at a wildlife sanctuary, and started up a Soriorty at A&M Commerce, currently raising a wolfdog, and volunteer with McKinney lions organization weekly. My LORS were from veterinarians that I have worked with for several years, professors, and my previous boss.

I applied to A&M, Texas Tech, Iowa, Kansas, Lincoln (interviewed), Long Island, Purdue, Michigan, Midwestern (interviewed), UPenn, Ohio, Arizona (MMI waitlisted), WesternU, Virginia/Maryland, Tennessee, Minnesota, and Illinois’s (rejected).

If anyone could give me any insight I would really appreciate it.
Please make your own post on WAMC

Reactions: 1 users
As an update to help anyone this next round, so far i have interviewed at Ross, LMU, Western, and michigan. i was accepted at ross, accepted for spring start at LMU but had to decline unfortunately and am still being considered for fall start. OOS wait list at Iowa, waitlist at Western, and still waiting to hear back from Michigan (OOS) as well.

waitlisted OOS Iowa ranking was 95! so probably would have been pulled (historically Iowa pulls 125-170 off of the OOS wait list) but I did get a direct OOS acceptance to Michigan Pending the submission of my deposit to Michigan, i will remove myself from the waitlist at Iowa and western, give up my spot at ross, and withdraw my application (previously accepted for spring, still being considered for fall) from Lincoln memorial. All you need it one yes! I hope anyone that sees this takes this as a sign to keep pursuing their dreams

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
waitlisted OOS Iowa ranking was 95! so probably would have been pulled (historically Iowa pulls 125-170 off of the OOS wait list) but I did get a direct OOS acceptance to Michigan Pending the submission of my deposit to Michigan, i will remove myself from the waitlist at Iowa and western, give up my spot at ross, and withdraw my application (previously accepted for spring, still being considered for fall) from Lincoln memorial. All you need it one yes! I hope anyone that sees this takes this as a sign to keep pursuing their dreams
Wow congrats!