WAMC c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ch3yruh

Tuskegee c/o 2027 🐾
Reaction score
Hello! Posting again to see what you all think! This is my 3rd cycle applying. I graduated undergrad with a Bachelors in Animal Biology (UC Davis 2019) and graduated from a Masters of Laboratory Animal Science program this past may! (EVMS 2022) Also, California resident.

Stats:
GPA/GRE:

• VMCAS
    • Graduate GPA: 3.87
    • Overall Cumulative GPA: 2.92
    • Overall Science GPA: 2.83
    • Last 45 GPA: 3.64
    • Previous stats 2021 cycle:
      • Overall Cumulative GPA: 2.81
      • Overall Science GPA: 2.68
      • Last 45 GPA: 3.56
  • GRE scores:
    • Best scores are 153 V/152 Q/ 4.0 W
  • Casper score:
    • 4th Quartile
Experiences:
  • 2400+ hours in Animal Experience – internship with goats, internship at wildlife center (mainly birds), animal shelter volunteering(dogs/cats), and a veterinary medicine immersion camp in HS (dogs, cats, cattle), and have been volunteering at a non-profit (donkeys, horses, bunnies, birds, pigs, goats, sheep, guinea pigs, etc)
  • 3638 hours in Extracurriculars – various HS sports and clubs, ROTC events in college, ROTC leadership positions, anime club officer in college
  • 2000+ hours in Employment (non animal related) - US Army Reserves (part time), dishwasher during college, retail store
  • 360 hours Research – class research, undergraduate research in lab with bees/flowers/pollination, and then conducted my own research for senior practicum with cows
  • 5800+ hours in Veterinary experience – most of that comes from working in a small animal vet clinic (dog, cats, rabbits), but I have also some from working with laboratory animals in my masters program (rabbits, mice/rats, NHPs), shadowing at a clinic on a military base and various other clinics before getting an actual job(dogs/cats), and volunteering with cow research and helping veterinarian insert urinary catheters there. JUST recently got some volunteer experience at an equine clinic (horses!!) and then I have been working for about a year at a vet clinic that specializes in animal dentistry (cats/dogs) since my last application.
Achievements:
  • Various Army awards and achievements
  • Army reserve officers training corps 3 year scholarship
  • Undergraduate research award
  • Then various other HS sports related awards
LORs
  • 1 dentistry vet (current employment)
  • 2 from vets at previous GP vet
  • 1 from academic director of masters program
  • 1 from professor of masters program
Personal statement
  • I talked about my journey to wanting to become a veterinarian, through my experiences, in which I wanted to go into research but now I am interested in animal dentistry (mainly because of my new job and the dr i work for is a great mentor and has taught me so much about the specialty). I went into how dentistry is most often passed over compared to other subjects in vet school but it is just as important to learn about... and how its becoming more popular and being taught more in depth, etc...
For this cycle, I applied to Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, Tuskegee, Arizona, Minnesota, UPenn, Wisconsin, VM, Western, LMU, UC Davis (IS).

I've retaken gen chem, ochem, biology, and biochem to bring up my GPA. There's obvi still room for improvement for which I can retake calc and physics, but it's hard with a full time job (possible to do online maybe). I did a master's to show that I could do upper div rigorous coursework (and to raise GPAs) and I think I have proved that with my graduate GPA. But my GPA overall is still low, and there's only so much I can do at this point to raise it since I have a lot of units now. I know some schools calculate their GPAs differently and/or take the highest grade for retaken classes.. so that's sort of a plus. Im assuming this will most likely put my GPAs over 3.0 barely. But compared to most of the applicants, my GPA is v low. I believe that everything else like experience, leadership, LORs, essays, etc is solid tho! I did application reviews multiple times and they all said that everything looks good except my GPA is on the low side.

Just wanted to see what you all thought on the schools I applied to and my chances with them!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: