WAMC c/o 2028 1st time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casurfgirl

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm applying for the first time this cycle. 22 year old female, traditional applicant. Will be graduating in the spring with a BS in animal science from UCD. California resident.

cumulative GPA: 4.0
science GPA: 4.0
last 45 GPA: 4.0 (currently lol)

schools: Davis, Penn, tOSU, LSU, Georgia, NCSU, RVC, Edinburgh, UWM, Tufts, Arizona, Cornell, Mizzou, maybe Ross

vet experience:
~400-500 small animal, single clinic, experience with a mobile cardiologist and mobile internist that visited our practice roughly once a quarter

animal experience:
~100 hours pet sitting

research experience:
~150 hours as a research assistant on a dairy cattle feed study
~150 hours as a research assistant on a steer feed study
~200 hours as a research assisnant on a bovine reproduction study, will be working with the same lab agains this spring

extracurriculars:
VP of communications for my sorority this year
currently employed as a fitness instructor/personal trainer at a local gym
have worked off and on in the restaurant industry all of college to help support myself (~1100 hours)
will be TAing a biochemistry class (upper div) in the spring

awards:
dean's list (or equivalent) every semester or quarter, multiple academic scholarships, nominated for a few commencement awards (we'll see how that goes)

eLORs from one or two of the vets at the clinic I've interned at, PI for the lab I spent the most time with, professor that I will be TAing for

Really appreciate any insight that you have on my apps/chances of getting in to some of these schools! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Would be good as well to gain large animal vet hours to further diversify your experience

Reactions: 1 user
schools: Davis, Penn, tOSU, LSU, Georgia, NCSU, RVC, Edinburgh, UWM, Tufts, Arizona, Cornell, Mizzou, maybe Ross
Only school I know enough on this list to talk about is Davis. Unless things drastically change for this next cycle as a result of gre removal, you should get an interview without them looking at your holistically.
Would be good as well to gain large animal vet hours to further diversify your experience
I second the thoughts on getting vet experience diversity. Was definitely the weakest part of my own app to only have vet experience in one place.

In terms of Davis opportunities I know of, Center for Equine Health at Davis has hired some undergrads. Vet Aide Club typically has large animal internships, but I think they were cancelled this spring sadly.

Last edited: