WAMC- c/o 2028 advice on gpa/experience so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzene_gurl14

Reaction score
Hi! I'm applying this upcoming cycle and just want some realistic input. I graduated undergrad in 2021 and was working as a chemist before switching to pre-vet. The last 2 years I've been gaining experience. I don't want to belabor too much of an intro so here we go:
First time applicant, interested in equine surgery and ER.
I'm going to omit my LORs and PS on here bc I haven't concretely decided on those yet and ultimately judgement of those are in the hands of admissions.
Schools to which I'm applying: Tufts (top choice), Penn, Cornell, MSU, Wisconsin, VAMD (IS)
I still have to take med term for VAMD but it's not gonna affect my GPA very much:
cum: 3.57
science: 3.45
last 45: 3.66
non science: 3.72
B.Sc. in Chemistry. Only matters for Cornell but I went to a top 20 school for undergrad.
Vet experience (hours):
-SA/exotics GP paid assistant (1200)
-ER SA/exotics paid assistant (300)
-equine shadowing at one clinic (100)
-LA (ruminants) shadowing (100)
-equine surgery shadowing:
  • splint bone (4)
  • cryptorchid (4)
  • tenoscopy surgery of tendon sheath (4)
-equine shadowing at VAMD equine hospital (16)
-pre vet internship working with wildlife/exotics and conservation medicine in Costa Rica (220)
Animal experience (hours)
-16 years worth of riding, competitively showing, and caring for my own/other people's horses (10,000+)
-animal care technician at my community shelter (321), cared for animals and helped in the medical department
-dog sitting (60)
-paid stable hand at multiple barns (550)
-horse show groom (50)
-volunteered at therapeutic riding center (16)
Research
-organic chemistry synthesis lab studying the efficacy of organocatalytically-driven nitrene precursors on C-H amination of organic substrates (840). I wrote several papers but none were published since Covid halted my research and I was never able to return to lab by the time I graduated lol.
-environmental/analytical chemistry lab studying the effects of polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) on water quality. Specifically, I looked at the concentrations of a specific PAH in several VA waterways/oyster samples, and helped start the development of an antigen for said PAH so it could later be used to generate monoclonal antibodies.
Awards/Extracurrics/leadership
-AP scholar with honors
-undergraduate teaching award
-American chemical society certification
-Hugh O'Brien leadership award
-organizer of Colton Strong 5k (5k to raise money for/awareness of acute myeloid leukemia)
-social chair of Virginia riding team (1 year), member for 4 years
-American chemical society (member for 4 years)
-outstanding performance in chemistry award
-Intercollegiate Horse Show Association All Academic Second Team USEF Award
Intercollegiate Horse Show Association Senior Achievement USEF Award
-NHS president (high school)
-SCA president (high school)
-Elizabeth river project, member for 1 year
Employment
-gen chem TA and tutor (1 year)
-orgo TA and tutor (1 year)
-chemistry stockroom assistant (1 year)
-ben and jerry's shiftlead (2 years)

Mostly concerned about my GPA since most of the schools I'm applying to are GPA heavy from what I've heard :/. My science is low bc I got a C in orgo lab I (didn't know my grade on the final was our grade in the class...). Studied my ass off and got an A in orgo lab II and faired well in 2 graduate-level chemistry classes to prove myself. I want to include that in the explanatory section but idk if I should reserve that for a more personal struggle I went through? Maybe I could combine the two?

I'm going to apply in Aug so my vet and animal experience will grow some but this is at least a good baseline. I appreciate anyone's .02 on where I can improve! Thanks so much:)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a good shot at all of the schools you plan to apply to. Yes they are GPA heavy so be prepared for their initial gpa cut off to be high which might cut you from consideration. GPA cut offs this year have been towards 3.75 and higher for a lot of school. I think the chemistry research and experience is definitely a standout on your application. Plus having the next 6+ months to get more experience is helpful.

I wouldn’t use the explanation statement to talk about your grades unless you were severely impacted by something outside of Covid. One C isn’t going to make or break you. They have spaces in the school applications to talk about Covid and grades if necessary. But for your explanation statement don’t leave it blank!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @benzene_gurl14 ,
Current Tufts second year and non-trad here. I got into Tufts with a 3.4cgpa and a 3.1 science gpa, so at least for Tufts, considering your experience, your gpa seems fine. Tufts has been trending more holistic lately, and I think they'll like your versatility in experience as well as the fact you've been doing research. They'll like your extracurriculars and leadership stuff, too.
Only thing I can think of from a Tufts perspective is that - and this is from convos with admissions when I was in a temporary leadership position at school - lately they've looking for what makes students unique. If possible, throw on a hobby or two that don't relate to science/medicine/animals. not totally necessary, people get in without that sort of thing, but if it makes you stand out, it's good; I was asked about my time playing hockey and guitar in my interview lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider your GPA about average for at least some of the schools you listed - maybe slightly low with the science GPA. But in general, your application looks good. I always suggest diving into each school’s admissions protocol. Can give you a lot of insight. I’m unsure about specific cutoff numbers for all of these schools that honeypot was referring to so maybe look into if this info is at all posted regarding previous years (I’m assuming referring to cutoffs that some schools make when they get average GPAs of the applicants applying that specific year). Not all schools do this - maybe look through the c/o 2027 specific for that school threads if someone posted about it. I would be surprised if the cut off was in fact 3.75 since that seems fairly high but I have not delved into admissions process in a few years. As max above said, youre app sounds fine for Tufts.

I would suggest getting more hours if you can in equine surgery since you said you were interested in that specialty but it isn’t imperative with the variety of hours you already have.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @benzene_gurl14 ,
Current Tufts second year and non-trad here. I got into Tufts with a 3.4cgpa and a 3.1 science gpa, so at least for Tufts, considering your experience, your gpa seems fine. Tufts has been trending more holistic lately, and I think they'll like your versatility in experience as well as the fact you've been doing research. They'll like your extracurriculars and leadership stuff, too.
Only thing I can think of from a Tufts perspective is that - and this is from convos with admissions when I was in a temporary leadership position at school - lately they've looking for what makes students unique. If possible, throw on a hobby or two that don't relate to science/medicine/animals. not totally necessary, people get in without that sort of thing, but if it makes you stand out, it's good; I was asked about my time playing hockey and guitar in my interview lol.
This was really encouraging thank you :) I do definitely have some hobbies so I'll be sure to include those! thanks so much for commenting! Do you happen to know if Tufts calculates it own GPA or uses VMCAS's?

I would consider your GPA about average for at least some of the schools you listed - maybe slightly low with the science GPA. But in general, your application looks good. I always suggest diving into each school’s admissions protocol. Can give you a lot of insight. I’m unsure about specific cutoff numbers for all of these schools that honeypot was referring to so maybe look into if this info is at all posted regarding previous years (I’m assuming referring to cutoffs that some schools make when they get average GPAs of the applicants applying that specific year). Not all schools do this - maybe look through the c/o 2027 specific for that school threads if someone posted about it. I would be surprised if the cut off was in fact 3.75 since that seems fairly high but I have not delved into admissions process in a few years. As max above said, youre app sounds fine for Tufts.

I would suggest getting more hours if you can in equine surgery since you said you were interested in that specialty but it isn’t imperative with the variety of hours you already have.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out the cutoffs for this most recent cycle... also hoping it's not a 3.75 lol. I feel like every school has a quota they must meet for different GPA ranges to as not to seem unfair but who really knows.
Noted on the equine surgery hours! The one surgeon who let me watch the surgeries I mentioned was lowkey an ass and didn't like unnecessary people in his OR even if I was well out of the way, but I'm with a different Dr. now so hopefully I'll see some more. Thanks for commenting!

I think you have a good shot at all of the schools you plan to apply to. Yes they are GPA heavy so be prepared for their initial gpa cut off to be high which might cut you from consideration. GPA cut offs this year have been towards 3.75 and higher for a lot of school. I think the chemistry research and experience is definitely a standout on your application. Plus having the next 6+ months to get more experience is helpful.

I wouldn’t use the explanation statement to talk about your grades unless you were severely impacted by something outside of Covid. One C isn’t going to make or break you. They have spaces in the school applications to talk about Covid and grades if necessary. But for your explanation statement don’t leave it blank!
Not including math in the science GPA actually hurt me lol. Not sure if the schools I mentioned calculate their own science GPAs, but if they do and it includes math, my science GPA would be 3.52. Still average but better.
Good advice on the explanatory statement- I didn't know there was a separate space to mention grades. Thanks for your advice!

This was really encouraging thank you :) I do definitely have some hobbies so I'll be sure to include those! thanks so much for commenting! Do you happen to know if Tufts calculates it own GPA or uses VMCAS's?
i think they used the vmcas gpa, but i could be wrong, it’s been a while. but anytime - admissions is also super friendly and receptive to questions so if there’s anything specific i’m sure they’d be willing to help too through email