WAMC c/o 2028- non trad, low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CC613

Reaction score
Hello all I’m 26F will be 27 by next cycle, graduated undergrad in 2020

I’ve applied to 10 schools for class of 2027, so far I’ve received 3 rejections, vet prep at Ross (don’t think I’ll accept after learning more about it), and waiting on 6 more- though I’m anticipating rejections due to my gpa. I’ve already started retaking some pre-reqs as I know that’s the downfall of my application.

Extracurriculars:
Student Athlete
Sorority Involvement
Multiple Clubs

Experience:
Animal (1000+ hours, more if you include personal experience)
Veterinary (2500+ in different types of practices)
Research (2000 hours, three publications, two are first authorships)
Animals worked with: mice, rats, rabbits, sheep, swine, primates, horses, dogs, cats, fish
Server (1000)

CASPR: Fourth Quartile

LORs:
This past cycle they were written by three veterinarians and my PI.

Explanation Statement:
Didn’t want to make excuses but I felt it would be unusual to write nothing given my low gpa. Wrote about having an undiagnosed medical condition and how my circumstances have changed and the things I’ve achieved since receiving treatment.

Essays:
I’ve been told I have a very strong personal statement/essays

Now the tough part, GPA:
cGPA- 2.96
science- 2.84

I’ve been out of school for two years and determined I can get both my science and cGPA to about a 3.05-3.09 by next cycle if I make A’s.

Anyone have success getting in a US school with a low gpa???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was a low GPA applicant (my stats are in the successful applicants c/o 2024 thread), but I think I was an abnormal case. My original degree was in engineering and I had a number of years between finishing the engineering degree and applying to vet school. I also had to take pretty much all of my prereqs, so didn't have the grade averaging problem. With my post-bacc studies I was able to bring my prereq and last 45 GPAs up substantially (my last 45 was a 4.0 at time of application), which was viewed favorably because my cumulative was still crap according to vet school admissions standards. I had some health issues in my undergrad days so I used the explanation statement to talk about that and what I did about it, and had the grades to support it. I focused on making every part of my application as strong as possible to make up for my sad cumulative GPA (diverse experiences, strong letters of recommendation, great essays, etc.).

Highly recommend setting up file reviews at your top schools after this application cycle finishes (if you're not accepted). They should be able to tell you what they'd like to see from you specifically (continuing with repeating prereqs, taking graduate level courses, etc.). Good luck! :)

Edited to add: also not sure which schools you applied to, but focus on making yourself the strongest applicant for your in-state school and apply to schools that have more holistic review processes (ex. I applied to all the schools that didn't use cumulative GPA or weighed last 45 very heavily)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response! Unfortunately doing a masters program isn’t really doable for me right now financially- and I have a wonderful job with career growth opportunities that allows me to continue to gain veterinary experience. It’s been two years since I last took a class, so now that I’m a little distanced from that my current plan is to continue retaking pre-reqs that I received a C in and then based off of file reviews be a little more selective to where I apply in the future. I’ve definitely learned a lot this cycle and there are several schools I didn’t apply to that I’m wishing I had after learning more about their processes on this thread.

What schools are represented by the vets you worked with? Maybe they can also help connect you to the admissions staff or their favorite faculty member to give you some insight or advice.