WAMC c/o2028 not much experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucynkasmom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm 21, female, from NY but moved to the US from Poland 3 years ago, it's my first time applying, first generation. I'm going to apply this upcoming cycle but I want to hear some opinions on what to improve. I would really appreciate your help.
I want to apply to tOSU, Cornell, University of Illinois, Michigan State, UPenn, maybe Missouri, but open to more.

Cumulative GPA: 3.61 (will improve)
science GPA: 3.4 (but after this semester should go up a bit)
last 45: 3.8

Any degrees achieved: B.S. in Biological Sciences graduating in May 2024

GRE results: Q/V/W: not taking

Veterinary Experience:
-kennel assistant then vet assistant at SA practice 260hrs
-large animal shadowing at tOSU vet hospital 50 hours or more
-surgery, rehab shadowing at tOSU 15hrs
-bird rescue 50hrs
-internship at tOSU in medical records but worked with vets daily - 270hrs
=645hrs

Animal Experience:
-shelter 100hrs
-dog sitting/walking job 400hours
-lab animal care 20hours
-had pets since I was little

Research Experience:
- research on animal behavior - communication with humans- my school conducted this research with UPenn Vet

Awards/scholarships:
-dean's list

Extracurriculars:
-prevet club
-president and founder of Polish Club
-marathon runner

Employment:
-amazon warehouse job for a year
-waitress for 3 years

I feel like I don't have enough experience even though I have a variety. The only thing is that I've worked at tOSU hospital and I will have two people from there to write me LORs. I moved here from Poland without my parents, so I want to write my personal statement about overcoming difficulties and being determined, since English is also my second language and I wasn't previously exposed to it.
Would really appreciate opinions :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say your grades are looking good, especially the last 45. Try to increase those vet and animal hours. You definitely have the time until applications are due.
Most vet schools do not count having pets as part of animal experience since many have pets. I’d suggest leaving that out. Unless you were on a farm with lots of animals or something unique then you should.
Any other extracurriculars or clubs or volunteering? Schools like to see well rounded applicants.
I go to tOSU, I wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 user