MD & DO WAMC CA ORM 3.48 cGPA | 3.42 sGPA | 513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellicose

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been really stressing out about my application and as a first time applicant in this cycle I have no idea what to expect. My application is as follows, hope I'm not breaking any rules.

Demographics

Asian male, ORM, California (RIP)

First gen, disadvantaged

Acamdemics

Submitted primaries 7/10 to AMCAS, submitted 7/20 to AACOMAS

Personal statement is good I guess, much of my applications focus on serving underrepresented.

Graduated from UCLA this year with Biology degree

cGPA: 3.48

sGPA: 3.42

MCAT: 513 (127 / 129 / 128/ 129) , retake from a 501 in September 2019

Upward trend, have diagnosis of ADHD that coincides with the trend. Did not mention in primaries but did talk about it in secondaries.

Extracirriculars

**Clinical and shadowing**

500+ hours volunteering at Veterans Affairs program with geriatric patients. Program is a physical + social enrichment program, but must be referred by a physician. Kind of a weird one, I put it down as clinical hours because it is direct interaction with patients with a physician present to oversee, but could also spin it to be non-clincal.

30 hours shadowing orthopedic surgeon

30+ hours shadowing local family doctor

40+ hours shadowing geriatricians at Veterans Affairs hospital

**Nonclincal**

80 hours volunteering with dementia patients, providing socialization

100 hours for two school terms as a staff member of Model United Nations

Leadership in one pre-med club as Research Coordinator

**Research**

400ish hours in animal behavior lab for 3 years, leadership role, no publication or poster

150 hours in physics lab for 2 years, one poster presented for my school's undergraduate research day, leadership role as 3D printing technician

300+ hours (still ongoing) for meta-analysis on virtual patient simulation, writing manuscript, will be second or third author. Likely publish before end of year.

**Hobbies etc.**

3D printing, mentioned how I donated to hospitals during pandemic

Co-founder of business, where I design, manufacture, sell bespoke keyboards that are ergonomic and health oriented. Handle thousands of dollars at one time, original designs done all by me.

**Work**

300+ hours working one summer full-time at Humane Society (was pre-vet before switching to pre-med), one of the first employees in new department of the shelter

180 hours working 5 months as assistant to veterinary clinic over 5 months

1100+ hours working 3 years as work study in Asian American studies department at my university.

LORs:
2 science (1 likely strong, 1 unsure but decent)
3 MD (2 strong, 1 good)

Schools

All CA schools, no top 20 schools in my list, looking at OOS friendly schools where my GPA and MCAT are at least within 10% range of acceptances using MSAR.

Currently have 30 MD schools 11 DO schools on my list, received secondaries for half of DO schools so far, for MD secondaries from GWU and Tufts since they send to unverified.

Willing to take any suggestions for school lists

Summary

I am applying to both MD/DO, and don't mind going to DO at all. I am concerned about my non-clinical hours, and no real experience volunteering within a hospital. Had plans lined up for it but everything had to stop due to COVID. My GPA also concerns me, despite having a "reason" (undiagnosed ADHD, upward trend after diagnosis, mentioned earlier in post). Any help would be amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which MD and DO schools have you applied to ?

AMCAS app is being not yet verified (submitted 7/10)
AACOMAS verified

MD:
Kaiser
USC
UCI
UCD
UCR
Loma Linda
UCLA (lol)
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson - Philadalphia
Penn State
Virginia Tech Carilion
EVMS
VCW
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland B.
GWU - secondary submitted
Georgetown (have a very strong LOR from faculty here)
Chicago - Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest
NYMC - secondary submitted
Robert Larner Vermot
Tulane
Tufts -secondary received

DO:
A.T. Stills - secondary received
WesternU (both, have ties to Pomona) - secondary received for both
Touro CA
ICOM
William Carey
Philadelphia College of Medicine
LECOM - Erie - secondary submitted
Pacific Northwest
Rocky Vista (both)

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for all the DO schools you applied to. You could add these MD schools:
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all the DO schools you applied to. You could add these MD schools:
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac

Thank you! Do you think I am competitive enough for interviews at lower tier MD as well?