WAMC? Canadian, decent stats, weak research/ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IggyShtiggy

Reaction score
Hello and good day to all,

I am currently a gap year student planning to apply in the next cycle and i was hoping to ask for help with creating a school list for schools that i might have a shot of getting into, and whether or not I’m competitive for MD schools in the US in general.
Here’s some info about me, thanks to everyone in advance <3.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 4.00
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 519 (132/126/132/129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Canadian (Ontario)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: white
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: University of Toronto (St George)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): a) 400 hours volunteer assistant to therapists (helped patients with exercises, scheduling, charting, clean up, etc). b) 200 hours volunteer music program coordinator (planned and hosted music performances, transported patients to/from event, invited volunteers, etc). 150 hours volunteer meal assistant (delivering meals, assisting patients with eating/making conversation, etc)
  7. Research experience and productivity: 2 summers as a research assistant in oncology, 1 3rd author publication.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 200 hours in family medicine
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: a)700 hours not-for-profit campaign assistant (fundraising, campaigning, leafleting, hosting rallies/conferences, etc). Should be 1000+ hours by next cycle. b) 150 hours summer camp counsellor/assistant instructor (developed/hosted/provided lectures and workshops, fieldtrips, etc). c)130 hours outreach coordinator at a not-for-profit (helping organize events, recruit talent, invite people, acquire sponsors, etc).
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc). Executive position in 2 academic clubs, senior editor for an undergrad science journal
  11. Relevant honors or awards: a few volunteering awards and gpa-based awards, nothing highly distinctive
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: currently working full time as medical lab assistant for COVID testing (300 hours and counting )

Thanks for any advice in advance

Members don't see this ad.

So why do you think your research and ECs are weak?

So why do you think your research and ECs are weak?
Hi,

for research it’s because of fairly limited hours and no posters/presentations at all, and i have no other research experience anywhere. For ECs because theres only a few and in total no more than 400 hours combined.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

for research it’s because of fairly limited hours and no posters/presentations at all, and i have no other research experience anywhere. For ECs because theres only a few and in total no more than 400 hours combined.
You have a 3rd author pub, so you're research is good. And you said you had "Non-clinical volunteering: a)700 hours not-for-profit campaign assistant." That alone is 700 hrs. Why do you say you have no more than total 400?

You have a 3rd author pub, so you're research is good. And you said you had "Non-clinical volunteering: a)700 hours not-for-profit campaign assistant." That alone is 700 hrs. Why do you say you have no more than total 400?
Oh sorry i wasn’t counting volunteering. Do volunteer activities count as ECs?

Oh sorry i wasn’t counting volunteering. Do volunteer activities count as ECs?
Yes, absolutely. You have a very strong application, so don't worry. I don't know how being Canadian will affect things, but you should still be competitive for US MD schools. Just do some research on which schools take Canadians

Reactions: 1 users
@Faha @Goro Dear Faha and Goro, sorry to bother you with the tag but i was also hoping if i may ask for your advice/suggestions as well at your convenience. Which schools if any would I have a decent shot at? And what should I work on to improve my application? Thank you <3

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Boston University
Case Western
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Harvard
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Medical College Wisconsin
Michigan State
Wayne State
New York Medical College
St. Louis
Stanford
Stony Brook
Tulane
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Washington University
Yale

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Boston University
Case Western
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Harvard
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Medical College Wisconsin
Michigan State
Wayne State
New York Medical College
St. Louis
Stanford
Stony Brook
Tulane
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Washington University
Yale
Thank you Faha! I never thought I’d have a shot at the higher tier programs. May i ask which parts of my app i should work on to better my chances?