WAMC Canadian/US PR GPA 3.7, MCAT 514 unbalanced

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreatAli

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Clinical experience at a hotel?
This year's app cycle is pretty much over, but for next year you can try to apply through AMCAS or AACOMAS (MD or DO) or both. You basically just put in your ECs, LORs, and write secondaries (IIs), and pick schools [to apply to] after which you can get invited for an interview or not.

Literally, I just Googled "apply to med school" and much of what I said came up (admittedly in a much more verbose fashion, but still)...try it. Not trying to be mean, but why haven't you done so?

Clinical experience at a hotel?
This year's app cycle is pretty much over, but for next year you can try to apply through AMCAS or AACOMAS (MD or DO) or both. You basically just put in your ECs, LORs, and write secondaries (IIs), and pick schools [to apply to] after which you can get invited for an interview or not.

Literally, I just Googled "apply to med school" and much of what I said came up (admittedly in a much more verbose fashion, but still)...try it. Not trying to be mean, but why haven't you done so?

1) I wrote front desk at a hospital, not hotel.

2) Sorry I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm asking if there are any schools that'd people suggest, because I assume American pre-meds know more about med schools than I do. I do know how the process of applying works. Anyway, I've done some research in the past two days, and I've come up with 4 schools:

UCLA
UC Irvine
UW
UC Davis

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a US Citizen? Permanent resident of what state?

Invest in the MSAR and do your school research using that.

If your front desk position at the hospital came with minimal patient interaction, it is not clinical experience.

I'd get at least some shadowing done asap if you want to have a semi successful cycle. Shadowing is much more valuable than clinical volunteering when it comes to learning about many aspects of being a doctor and what it takes.

Also, applying this late into the cycle will put you at a huge disadvantage. I'd wait until next year. Spend this year getting everything you're missing. Unless of course you want to apply DO in which case the application cycle is a bit longer. I'd personally still wait a year if you don't want to waste a ton of money and not be as competitive as you possibly can.

Where is your state of residence? When are you planning to apply? It is late in the cycle to be applying for 2018 unless you plan to apply to DO schools.

Where is your state of residence? When are you planning to apply? It is late in the cycle to be applying for 2018 unless you plan to apply to DO schools.

California. Next summer.

Are you a US Citizen? Permanent resident of what state?

Invest in the MSAR and do your school research using that.

If your front desk position at the hospital came with minimal patient interaction, it is not clinical experience.

I'd get at least some shadowing done asap if you want to have a semi successful cycle. Shadowing is much more valuable than clinical volunteering when it comes to learning about many aspects of being a doctor and what it takes.

Also, applying this late into the cycle will put you at a huge disadvantage. I'd wait until next year. Spend this year getting everything you're missing. Unless of course you want to apply DO in which case the application cycle is a bit longer. I'd personally still wait a year if you don't want to waste a ton of money and not be as competitive as you possibly can.

Sorry, Canada doesn't allow shadowing. & in Canadian context, it is clinical because the majority of the work is done within the hospital (I'm not at the front desk a majority of the time, I wheel/talk to inpatients)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
USC
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2018 (Kaiser, Roseman, NOVA MD, Seton Hall)

Sorry, Canada doesn't allow shadowing. & in Canadian context, it is clinical because the majority of the work is done within the hospital (I'm not at the front desk a majority of the time, I wheel/talk to inpatients)
Don't say sorry to me. This is your chance of getting into an American school on the line.

And since these are American schools you're applying to, "Canadian context" is irrelevant.

If the majority of your time IS spent interacting with patients, then you can label it as clinical experience. Cleaning toilets in the ICU and conversing with patients who walk in wouldn't count as clinical.

1) I wrote front desk at a hospital, not hotel.

2) Sorry I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm asking if there are any schools that'd people suggest, because I assume American pre-meds know more about med schools than I do. I do know how the process of applying works. Anyway, I've done some research in the past two days, and I've come up with 4 schools:

UCLA
UC Irvine
UW
UC Davis
Please ignore the High School sophomore trying to give you advise; he's been warned several times to stop misrepresenting himself.