WAMC - CC student and weak extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilil

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I hope everyone’s staying safe and healthy as this chaotic year is coming to an end. I’d like some guidance on what OOS/CC friendly schools to add or which to remove from my list. I’m also open to advice re: improving leadership and extracurricular experiences before applying this upcoming cycle.

Date of submission: Plan on applying next cycle
Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.84
BCP GPA: 3.84
DAT Score: 22AA, 22TS, 24Bio, 21GC, 21OC, 22RC, 21QR, 19PAT
State: California

Undergrad attended: a CSU
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing experience: general + ortho (100+hrs, mostly general)
Volunteering: hospital, dental clinic, food bank (~150 hrs total, will be with the food bank until I begin dental school)
Employment: front desk(2yrs) and assisting at dental offices (less than a year). I'll be working at these places until I begin dental school.
Research: 1 yr for credit, no publications
Other extracurriculars: embroidery, cooking
Relevant honors or awards: dean’s list, magna cum laude
LOR type and strength: PI (moderate to strong), dentist (strong), 2 bio prof (moderate)
Misc info: I have a total of 70 community college credits (46 of them are BCP prereqs) and graduated from undergrad earlier this year.

School list:
All state schools besides Loma Linda
AT Still of Arizona
Midwestern U (Arizona)
UNLV
University of Washington
University of Michigan
UPenn
Ohio State
Touro

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I hope everyone’s staying safe and healthy as this chaotic year is coming to an end. I’d like some guidance on what OOS/CC friendly schools to add or which to remove from my list. I’m also open to advice re: improving leadership and extracurricular experiences before applying this upcoming cycle.

Date of submission: Plan on applying next cycle
Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.84
BCP GPA: 3.84
DAT Score: 22AA, 22TS, 24Bio, 21GC, 21OC, 22RC, 21QR, 19PAT
State: California

Undergrad attended: a CSU
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing experience: general + ortho (100+hrs, mostly general)
Volunteering: hospital, dental clinic, food bank (~150 hrs total, will be with the food bank until I begin dental school)
Employment: front desk(2yrs) and assisting at dental offices (less than a year). I'll be working at these places until I begin dental school.
Research: 1 yr for credit, no publications
Other extracurriculars: embroidery, cooking
Relevant honors or awards: dean’s list, magna cum laude
LOR type and strength: PI (moderate to strong), dentist (strong), 2 bio prof (moderate)
Misc info: I have a total of 70 community college credits (46 of them are BCP prereqs) and graduated from undergrad earlier this year.

School list:
All state schools besides Loma Linda
AT Still of Arizona
Midwestern U (Arizona)
UNLV
University of Washington
University of Michigan
UPenn
Ohio State
Touro

Thanks for your time!
solid gpa, dat, and ecs
your school list is kinda top heavy, but not ridiculous considering your stats
i'd make sure that taking that many prereqs at CC will not be an issue with all your schools

Reactions: 1 user
solid gpa, dat, and ecs
your school list is kinda top heavy, but not ridiculous considering your stats
i'd make sure that taking that many prereqs at CC will not be an issue with all your schools
Will do. Appreciate the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will do. Appreciate the feedback!
if i were you, i would consider adding mid range OOS public schools
colorado, ohsu, utah come to mind, there are more in the central/midwest too
it's better to go to those than to the expensive OOS privates on your list, especially if you are applying to western and usc already

Reactions: 1 user
Where can I find more information about midrange public schools? Is there a compiled list somewhere?