WAMC: cGPA: 3.0 | sGPA: 4.0 | MCAT 524

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rodchris

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. cGPA: 3.0
2. sGPA: 4.0
3. MCAT: 524
4. Ethnicity: Puerto Rican Male
5. State: NY
6. School category: CUNY
7. Clinical: 1200 hours as a scribe in multiple specialties (paid)
8. Shadowing: 150 hours: family medicine, trauma, derm, OBGYN
9. Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours at a senior center
10. Clinical volunteering: 120 hours at a nursing home
11. Research: 9-week summer program, genomics, Broad Institute
12. Non-profit: The Fresh Air Fund: a nonprofit that provides sleep-away summer camp activities for low-income NYC children: I was a paid “assistant leader,” basically a helper to the camp counselors, 1500 hours (first job)

Other:
1. Church: about 100 hours (never counted but we did this frequently) of evangelism
2. Jobs: Retail and fast food: about 10k hours (I’ve been working since I was 16)

My cGPA is due to multiple Fs I received when I started out in CC, wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and I had to work. I have multiple withdrawals. Retook all of the F courses and got As in them. Transferred to a 4-year and reinvented myself with straight As. Both my CC and 4-year are CUNYs. Took all science courses at the 4-year.

My Spanish is conversational, currently trying to improve it. I took two Mandarin courses, improving that as well but not conversational yet.

Please let me know if I should improve/do something more to increase my chances. I am currently looking at SMPs.

Feel free to ask questions

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need an SMP.

How much networking have you done with LMSA chapter officers and admissions staff? Register for the virtual fair this month. Make the schools want you.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
New York Medical College
Rochester
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Northwestern
U Chicago
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Kaiser

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
New York Medical College
Rochester
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Northwestern
U Chicago
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Kaiser
Thank you,

Do you think there’s anything I could improve on? I considered a few of the schools (NYU and ivies), you mentioned to be out of the question for me because of my cGPA

Thank you,

Do you think there’s anything I could improve on? I considered a few of the schools (NYU and ivies), you mentioned to be out of the question for me because of my cGPA
More non clinical volunteering hours would be helpful. Many schools will view you as a reinventor and with a sGPA of 4.0 and a MCAT of 524 some top tier schools may interview you.