WAMC? cGPA: 3.25, sGPA: 2.99, 510 MCAT, SMP: 3.28, excellent extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almanack22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
South Asian Female
First-gen
NY Resident
Applied last year to only a couple DO schools and got 1 II and 1 WL

Undergrad:
cGPA: 3.24
sGPA: 2.9
Brief background: Started undergrad 2 years early (skipped grades). Went to a competitive premed undergrad. Was pressured into medicine and sucked my first 2 yrs during which I half-heartedly took premed courses but ran my own startup and acquired tons of invaluable experiences and opportunities. Later found my way to medicine myself, retook most of my science courses immediately after. Not all perfect As. Overall increasing trend. Also stayed back an extra year perfect As that last year.

Graduate (SMP at DO school):
cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.21
Background: First semester mostly Bs. Had to take care of my mom during a very complicated and risky pregnancy while doing the SMP online during COVID. Also had to help take care of the baby. Things calmed down during winter break and I picked myself up and worked really hard second semester and made mostly As.

Overall:
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 2.99

MCAT:
498 —> 503 —> 510
Considering retaking for 515+ before reapplying

Extracurriculars:
Overall niche within diverse clinical and nonclinical environments indicating a consistent passion to help underserved communities. I have 1000s of hours in all of this.
Clinical: scribing, shadowing, front desk at various clinics and specialties
Nonclinical: My startup. I also worked with multiple NGOs at a local and national level
3 different research experiences. No presentations or publications.
Since I graduated my SMP I’ve been working at a doctor's office as a medical scribe then transitioned into helping develop very successful cardio mobile clinics targeted towards essential workers that have saved tons of people's lives. I’m currently helping grow and develop that into a health-tech startup and plan on doing that during my gap year.

I’m here to ask what are my chances. Where should I apply? And also what do I need to do to get in at this point for MD or DO. My biggest weakness is my GPA and at this point, I have so many credits increasing even a little is hard. What can I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That SMP gpa is going to hurt for MD. I think your best shot is DO

Reactions: 1 user
It is usually expected that you achieve a 3.7+ GPA in a SMP program. It might have been better if you took a DIY Post Bacc instead. At least those grades would have gone towards increasing your uGPAs. Be aware that some schools average multiple MCAT scores. AMCAS rec this and some schools do. But all schools see all of your MCAT scores and there is no way to account for reviewers who have preconceived ideas of a 4 time test taker.
I agree with @MawbleIM . Your chance are not good for MD. Focus on DO and hope for the best. Does your posted cGPA and sGPA for undergrad include every college class you have ever taken , including all retakes?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is usually expected that you achieve a 3.7+ GPA in a SMP program. It might have been better if you took a DIY Post Bacc instead. At least those grades would have gone towards increasing your uGPAs. Be aware that some schools average multiple MCAT scores. AMCAS rec this and some schools do. But all schools see all of your MCAT scores and there is no way to account for reviewers who have preconceived ideas of a 4 time test taker.
I agree with @MawbleIM . Your chance are not good for MD. Focus on DO and hope for the best. Does your posted cGPA and sGPA for undergrad include every college class you have ever taken , including all retakes?

yes, my gpa includes all retakes. all gpas I shared were calculated by aacomas

I felt like i had basically done a DIY post-bacc by staying that extra year in undergrad

also, i was not aware of the MCAT averaging at all! thank you for letting me know

do you have suggestions for anything else I can do GPA-wise to increase my chances?

yes, my gpa includes all retakes. all gpas I shared were calculated by aacomas

I felt like i had basically done a DIY post-bacc by staying that extra year in undergrad

also, i was not aware of the MCAT averaging at all! thank you for letting me know

do you have suggestions for anything else I can do GPA-wise to increase my chances?
I think you have probably done what you can grade wise. Your ECs are interesting and I hope your LORs are excellent. Other than all of that always have a plan B.

Take another one or two science courses at a local college this semester to increase your sGPA to 3.0.
You do not need to retake the MCAT.
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYITCOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
Noorda-COM
ICOM

Reactions: 1 user
You do have some extenuating circumstances with your recent coursework. I'd also reach out to schools to get a sense of how your story would be received; find someone at the schools who have gone through a journey most similar to yours.