WAMC? cGPA: 3.32, sGPA: 3.20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entropically-driven

Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AACOMAS:
cGPA: 3.32
sGPA: 3.17

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS:
cGPA: 3.32
sGPA: 3.20

MCAT score(s) and breakdown:
I have not taken the MCAT yet.

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US):
California, US Citizenship

Ethnicity and/or race:
ORM

Undergraduate institution or category:
UCLA

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
volunteer: 1 year at hospitals
non-volunteer: 3 years working as a medical laboratory technician

Research experience and productivity:
No research experience.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
Shadowed various physicians that worked in the GI Lab, intensive care units

Non-clinical volunteering:
working/engaging in activities with the elderly

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
veteran, participated in ruck march and hiking competitions

I did bad my first 2 years in school, thinking I was not good enough to graduate, then enlisted in the military for 4 years, decided that the ruggedness and hardships of being an enlisted solider was not a good fit for me, went back to school for the last 2 years to complete my degree in biochemistry from UCLA.

Despite my bad grades for the first 2 years in college, I do not have a upperward trend, it is more like a constant(?) trend, receiving B+'s/B's/B-'s and hardly any A's, especially in the sciences. In 2 of my science classes I have a C+ and a C.

Retakes (before enlistment):
organic chemistry I: F -> C-
physics II: C- -> D (This one is a slap to the face)

I was wondering if I shouldn't waste my time taking the MCAT, or if I still have a decent chance of attending a medical school. I am very familiar with the concepts presented in the MCAT and have no problems studying for it to obtain a decent score. I posted this and would like feedback as to see that I should not waste any more time pursuing medical school based on my stats and extracurriculars.

If I do have a shot at getting into medical schools, can you please tell me what MCAT score is decent enough to compliment my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to need to get your academic house in order, and that probably means doing an SMP. If you can't pull a 3.8+ in master's level coursework in such programs, your chances of getting in are slim regardless of what your MCAT score is going to be (mismatch is GPA vs MCAT highlights the mismatch). You should reach out to admissions recruiters, especially DO schools (as @Faha stated) about your situation (having been in the military for 4 years). But for me, your academic performance has to be much better for a career in medicine. You should also look into other health careers that may resonate with what you would like to do in health care as well (physician assistant, for example).

You need to take more classes to show an upward trend, like 3.8+, combined with a decent mcat of 505+ and you should get in somewhere.

Biggest thing is starting to get an upward trend though before wasting your time for the mcat.

Having served in the military is a huge plus to your app.