Nov 18, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

I currently work as a high-school biology teacher at a title 1 school (over 95% of students are considered economically disadvantaged) and plan on applying to medical schools this coming cycle. I know my GPA is fairly low (possibly even for DO schools) but I have good experiences and hope for the best. I had financial problems during my time at college and had to work full time while taking my classes which caused me to have a lot of absences and even made me miss important exams over the years. I have to work full time or else I wouldn't be able to support my family. I know this isn't an excuse but I thought it was worth mentioning.
  1. GPA:
    1. 3.46 cgpa, 3.13 sgpa slight increase in grade trend.
  2. MCAT:
    1. 504 (127/125/126/126)
  3. Michigan resident
  4. Clinical Experience:
    1. Emergency Medical Scribe 1.5 years(~800 hours)
    2. Medical Assistant at PCP office 1.5 years(~1200 hours)
    3. Post-op room volunteer at hospital (50 hours)
    4. COVID vaccination volunteer (30 hours)
    5. Volunteer in Middle Eastern Anti-terrorism camp where we treated wounded soldiers fighting against terrorism (~3 months)
    6. Home-care for paralyzed grandmother (was the only family member available to take care of her, although it was only 6 months before she passed a way (6 months)
  5. Shadowing experiences
    1. 50 hours Shadowing with a DO doctor
  6. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Over 8 years of volunteering at local religious institute
My dream is to become a physician that works in underserved communities that suffer from economic instability. I don't care if I become an MD or a DO, as long as I can become a physician at the end. Please advise if I should proceed with applying this year. I did consider doing a post-bac program, however I will still suffer the same issue which is that I need to work while attending school. Do I even have a chance?

Thank you in advance!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You are competitive for many DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
MSUCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
WVSOM
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
You could receive interviews at a few MD schools and I suggest these:
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Toledo
Rush
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Vermont

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.