WAMC cgpa 3.46 sgpa 3.13, MCAT 504

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyPerson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently work as a high-school biology teacher at a title 1 school (over 95% of students are considered economically disadvantaged) and plan on applying to medical schools this coming cycle. I know my GPA is fairly low (possibly even for DO schools) but I have good experiences and hope for the best. I had financial problems during my time at college and had to work full time while taking my classes which caused me to have a lot of absences and even made me miss important exams over the years. I have to work full time or else I wouldn't be able to support my family. I know this isn't an excuse but I thought it was worth mentioning.
  1. GPA:
    1. 3.46 cgpa, 3.13 sgpa slight increase in grade trend.
  2. MCAT:
    1. 504 (127/125/126/126)
  3. Michigan resident
  4. Clinical Experience:
    1. Emergency Medical Scribe 1.5 years(~800 hours)
    2. Medical Assistant at PCP office 1.5 years(~1200 hours)
    3. Post-op room volunteer at hospital (50 hours)
    4. COVID vaccination volunteer (30 hours)
    5. Volunteer in Middle Eastern Anti-terrorism camp where we treated wounded soldiers fighting against terrorism (~3 months)
    6. Home-care for paralyzed grandmother (was the only family member available to take care of her, although it was only 6 months before she passed a way (6 months)
  5. Shadowing experiences
    1. 50 hours Shadowing with a DO doctor
  6. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Over 8 years of volunteering at local religious institute
My dream is to become a physician that works in underserved communities that suffer from economic instability. I don't care if I become an MD or a DO, as long as I can become a physician at the end. Please advise if I should proceed with applying this year. I did consider doing a post-bac program, however I will still suffer the same issue which is that I need to work while attending school. Do I even have a chance?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for many DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
MSUCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
WVSOM
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)