WAMC? cGPA 3.55/sGPA 3.33/MCAT 504/NJ resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smcdn0420

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's early September and I've sent in secondaries to my initial school list. After self-reflection and thorough evaluation of the MSAR, I realized that I need to cast a wider net. Which DO schools should I add to my list? And which MD schools should I pray for a response?

- cGPA 3.55, sGPA 3.33, strong upward trend (4.0 senior year)
- MCAT 504; chem/phys: 125 cars: 124 bio:127 psych/soc:128
- NJ Resident
- white, female
- B.S. Biology with Healthcare Management Minor from Temple University
- ED scribe 2 yrs (2,400 hours)
- APO service fraternity President and Service VP (>600 hrs)
- Executive VP of Health Guardians of America (150 hrs)
- no research
- shadowing/waitress/foster home volunteer during gap year
- Of note: My mother passed away during my sophomore year which led to some poor grades and W's, but I ultimately ended with a 4.0 senior year. I directed most of my secondaries toward my interest in pursuing leadership/administrative positions such as hospital director or private practice.

Initial School List:
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
Florida SU
Cooper
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Tulane
Arizona-Tuscon
AZCOM
AT Still
PCOM
RowanSOM
UIWSOM

DO schools to add?...it's Sept 7th...

Members don't see this ad.

I know many people from NJ, being an ORM first is going to be a major hit sorry......as for NJMS and RWJ, VERY heavy love on stats and with the 504 MCAT it will be too low....being from NJ though its every person's duty to apply to them though right?

As for additional schools....if you have a DO LOR then I would recommend applying broadly...the sGPA is a little low but definitely doable and the MCAT is good for any DO school with the exception of a few. I may not be an expert like @Goro or @gyngyn but I think I can safely say you should add more DO schools like NYIT, UNECOM, etc

If you're not picky in regards to MD and DO then I think you can see good results this cycle.

Good Luck, Jersey is a tough nut to crack as an ORM and less than 510 MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
I know many people from NJ, being an ORM first is going to be a major hit sorry......as for NJMS and RWJ, VERY heavy love on stats and with the 504 MCAT it will be too low....being from NJ though its every person's duty to apply to them though right?

As for additional schools....if you have a DO LOR then I would recommend applying broadly...the sGPA is a little low but definitely doable and the MCAT is good for any DO school with the exception of a few. I may not be an expert like @Goro or @gyngyn but I think I can safely say you should add more DO schools like NYIT, UNECOM, etc

If you're not picky in regards to MD and DO then I think you can see good results this cycle.

Good Luck, Jersey is a tough nut to crack as an ORM and less than 510 MCAT

Thanks @PossibleDOC? ! I was not expecting much from these MD schools but some reassurance on my DO schools does make me feel better about my options. I'll let you know how this cycle works out for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @PossibleDOC? ! I was not expecting much from these MD schools but some reassurance on my DO schools does make me feel better about my options. I'll let you know how this cycle works out for me.

Good Luck to you and if you add a few more DO schools your money will be better spent there than MD schools honestly

You are competitive for all DO schools so add a few more that appeal to you. You could add ATSU-SOMA in Arizona, NYIT in NY and LECOM in PA.

Reactions: 1 user