WAMC? cGPA 3.55/sGPA 3.33/MCAT 504/NJ resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smcdn0420

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's early September and I've sent in secondaries to my initial school list. After self-reflection and thorough evaluation of the MSAR, I realized that I need to cast a wider net. Which DO schools should I add to my list? And which MD schools should I pray for a response?

- cGPA 3.55, sGPA 3.33, strong upward trend (4.0 senior year)
- MCAT 504; chem/phys: 125 cars: 124 bio:127 psych/soc:128
- NJ Resident
- white, female
- B.S. Biology with Healthcare Management Minor from Temple University
- ED scribe 2 yrs (2,400 hours)
- APO service fraternity President and Service VP (>600 hrs)
- Executive VP of Health Guardians of America (150 hrs)
- no research
- shadowing/waitress/foster home volunteer during gap year
- Of note: My mother passed away during my sophomore year which led to some poor grades and W's, but I ultimately ended with a 4.0 senior year. I directed most of my secondaries toward my interest in pursuing leadership/administrative positions such as hospital director or private practice.

Initial School List:
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
Florida SU
Cooper
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Tulane
Arizona-Tuscon
AZCOM
AT Still
PCOM
RowanSOM
UIWSOM

DO schools to add?...it's Sept 7th...

Members don't see this ad.

124 bio puts you in a tough position for MD schools, especially with your sGPA..

You shouldn't double post. You sGPA is pretty low for MD. You should focus on DO schools.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
It's early September and I've sent in secondaries to my initial school list. After self-reflection and thorough evaluation of the MSAR, I realized that I need to cast a wider net. Which DO schools should I add to my list? And which MD schools should I pray for a response?

- cGPA 3.55, sGPA 3.33, strong upward trend (4.0 senior year)
- MCAT 504; chem/phys: 125 cars: 124 bio:127 psych/soc:128
- NJ Resident
- white, female
- B.S. Biology with Healthcare Management Minor from Temple University
- ED scribe 2 yrs (2,400 hours)
- APO service fraternity President and Service VP (>600 hrs)
- Executive VP of Health Guardians of America (150 hrs)
- no research
- shadowing/waitress/foster home volunteer during gap year
- Of note: My mother passed away during my sophomore year which led to some poor grades and W's, but I ultimately ended with a 4.0 senior year. I directed most of my secondaries toward my interest in pursuing leadership/administrative positions such as hospital director or private practice.

Initial School List:
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
Florida SU
Cooper
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Tulane
Arizona-Tuscon
AZCOM
AT Still
PCOM
RowanSOM
UIWSOM

DO schools to add?...it's Sept 7th...

My GPAs are very similar to yours, but I had a 514 MCAT and was told I maybe had an outside shot at several of the MD schools you've listed. You never know until you apply but your chances at an MD acceptance aren't the best. Focus on DO schools.

Consider adding NYITCOM, KCUCOM, CCOM, NSUCOM.

Of the MD you've applied to, I think you have a shot IS.

Reactions: 1 user
MD isn't happening with numbers like that - one year of 4.0 isn't enough for MD, and unless you're URM, that MCAT alone will keep you from getting any interviews, including NJ state MDs.

I'd bet good money on a RowanSOM interview (and even acceptance) though.

I would say you should pray for a response from pretty much every MD school you applied to. Low GPA, low MCAT, none of your ECs sound particularly breathtaking (imo). I would definitely cast a wide application net to DO schools because you're fine for more or less all of them.

124 bio puts you in a tough position for MD schools, especially with your sGPA..

her bio is 127. cars is 124. though even w the correction, i do agree with what everyone has said. i am an NJ resident too with a >510 mcat and 3.7 smp gpa and im still really hoping for some love and that i wont need to reapply( similar undergrad science gpa as you). i would go DO unless you retake mcat and do an smp