WAMC? cGPA: 3.62 sGPA: 3.43 MCAT: 518....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katerinakate

Reaction score
Hey all! This is my first post on here so I'm hoping to get some sort of helpful feedback for strengthening my application. Here are my stats/ECs.

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.43
MCAT: 518

-Clinical experience scribing in an ER. Good LOR from a physician I’ve worked for over the last 2 years (~1500 hrs)
-Working at a preschool as a preschool assistant teacher (there is no possible way for me to gauge the thousands of hours spent here - I’ve worked here part time for 4 years with a few full time summers, and 2 years picking up shifts here and there as needed)
-Volunteering at a hospital as a patient advocate for surgical patients (~200 hours)
-Volunteering by tutoring low-income elementary students (~150 hours)
-Research: 1 year of research in a lab with one of my professors. I have a good LOR from this professor as well, as I’ve also had him as a prof for several classes (~125 hours)
-I was a TA for a semester before the professor switched universities, and have a good LOR from the professor from being in her class, a TA, and assisting with some research as a part of my TA hours as well.
-Shadowing: 16 in cardiac surgery, 20 in neurosurgery, 20 in primary care, 15 in neurology
-Involvement in a large college ministry - leadership one year, worship team 2 years, assisting parents with free childcare weekly for 2 years, attending for 4 years
-Entrepreneurship: my art business. I originally went into college in pursuit of art therapy and switched plans after I became passionate about medicine after dealing with an onset of health issues to the extent of long term temporary paralysis and having to withdraw for a semester and get stuff figured out. Since that semester I started selling custom paintings and have made a pretty good business out of it. I’m still passionate about the arts and humanities and pursue it in this way.
-Bilingual: fluent in German
-ORM

What else can I do to strengthen my application and become a more competitive candidate? Basically, what area(s) am I lacking in and what area(s) am I strong in already? I had a later start on my ECs since I had to get my physical health sorted out for the first 2 years but have been really involved since then. Any advice is helpful, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Stats: Great MCAT, lower than average cGPA/sGPA but I think MCAT will help alleviate academic concerns. Also matters where that GPA is from to some extent.
Clinical exposure - Looks great: a lot of hours in diversified clinical settings; shadowing is sufficient and diverse.
Nonclinical volunteering - looks good: service towards those less fortunate
Research - weak for research-oriented schools, fine for service-oriented.
Randoms - You seem like a cool person. The art/entrepreneurship is dope and could lead to a cool diversity essay if spun correctly, as can your language abilities. The ministry stuff is neutral-good depending on your audience but the leadership and volunteering that you did is good. TAing and preschool teaching are both good.

Overall, you're looking pretty good. If you want to go to top, research-focused schools, I would do more research and try to show something for it (poster, publication, etc.) I would also do a little bit more non-clinical volunteering outside of a ministry/on-campus gig. The tutoring low-income elementary school students is cool - more stuff like that would be useful I think.

A big factor is going to be how you write about yourself and your experiences in your application so make sure to do that well and have multiple eyes on it.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Stats: Great MCAT, lower than average cGPA/sGPA but I think MCAT will help alleviate academic concerns. Also matters where that GPA is from to some extent.
Clinical exposure - Looks great: a lot of hours in diversified clinical settings; shadowing is sufficient and diverse.
Nonclinical volunteering - looks good: service towards those less fortunate
Research - weak for research-oriented schools, fine for service-oriented.
Randoms - You seem like a cool person. The art/entrepreneurship is dope and could lead to a cool diversity essay if spun correctly, as can your language abilities. The ministry stuff is neutral-good depending on your audience but the leadership and volunteering that you did is good. TAing and preschool teaching are both good.

Overall, you're looking pretty good. If you want to go to top, research-focused schools, I would do more research and try to show something for it (poster, publication, etc.) I would also do a little bit more non-clinical volunteering outside of a ministry/on-campus gig. The tutoring low-income elementary school students is cool - more stuff like that would be useful I think.

A big factor is going to be how you write about yourself and your experiences in your application so make sure to do that well and have multiple eyes on it.

Best of luck!

Thank you! Yes, I am unfortunately aware of my GPA being lower than average and not as high as I would like it to be, but I do have an upward trend the last two years going for me, if that makes much of a difference. I've never gotten below a B-, I just unfortunately had some scattered B's across chem and a couple during high school when I took classes through a community college. I'll look into more research and non-clinical volunteering options. I've always been interested in volunteering at a nursing home, but not quite sure if that would be considered clinical or non-clinical?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Iowa
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State