WAMC cGPA 3.67 sGPA 3.62 MCAT 502 (Reposting in Pre-Med DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedpl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! It feels surreal, but first time posting a WAMC thread & school list suggestion as an upcoming applicant for 2021’s application. I want to start by saying that I have been considering applying to DO Programs throughout the university; thank you in advance for all your support!

Academic Status: Junior at New Jersey University
Major: Public Health Minor: Biological Sciences
cGPA (at time of application): 3.67
sGPA (at the time of application | AACOMAS accepts public health as sGPA so recalculated to include): 3.62
MCAT: taken 1-25-2021 at 502 (124|126|125|127)

Additional Info: Immigrated to the US from Eastern Europe, English as a Second Language, I do not know if that matters but willingly listing.

Clinical Experience
  • Pediatric Urgent Care Medical Scribe (1.5 years) 1200 hours
  • Family Medicine (under DO physician) Medical Scribe (9 Months at the time of application) roughly 800-1000 hours depending on scheduling this semester
Volunteer Experience
  • Crisis Counselor (1 year) aiming for 200 hours at the time of application
Leadership
  • President and Founder of Pre-SOMA chapter at University (1.5 years at the time of application) largely one of my proudest accomplishments at University. Have been working tirelessly to promote Osteopathic Medicine and help prepare underclassmen for Pre-Med coursework while guiding Upperclassmen towards Applications
  • Honors Program Peer Mentor (2 years)
  • Honors Program Advisory Board Member (1.5 years)
Misc. / Volunteer
  • Board Member: Youth Programming at LGBTQ+ Non-Profit Organization
    • During the pandemic, I have worked with a Non Profit to help transition a youth program to fully virtual instruction. After 9 months, the team asked me to join as a board member in youth programming. It has been a fantastic experience working with and helping this youth population best adjust to the growing challenges of the pandemic
Prospective
  • First-Year Interest Group Instructor in Public Health (will begin training in March to write my own 1 credit course covering public health, a portion of which will be devoted towards exploring careers in healthcare)
  • Public Health Honors Research Program (I will be completing honors research my last year of undergrad to complete my Public Health Degree)

Currently looking for suggestions in making a school list, I know my MCAT score is on the low side for DO schools, so I am more than willing to apply very broadly to as many programs as recommended.

Thank you for your time and help. It means a lot! (reposted in the Pre-Med DO forum)
@Goro Any input would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any DO program, except the Touros, AZCOM and CCOM, for whom your MCAT is too low.

Include UNECOM on your list, but not PacNW or OK-COM.

I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Avoid if at all possible new schools that haven't graduated a class yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Any DO program, except the Touros, AZCOM and CCOM, for whom your MCAT is too low.

Include UNECOM on your list, but not PacNW or OK-COM.

I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Avoid if at all possible new schools that haven't graduated a class yet.

Thank you so much for a speedy response! Would you advise I focus on preparing myself for an early and swift application as soon as AACOMAS opens in May, or should I focus all my energy on a potential retake?

Lastly, does this include the NY Touros as well or just the Nevada / California.

Instate for RowanSOM, hopefully an early application works out with these stats.

Thank you again, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for a speedy response! Would you advise I focus on preparing myself for an early and swift application as soon as AACOMAS opens in May, or should I focus all my energy on a potential retake?

Lastly, does this include the NY Touros as well or just the Nevada / California.

Instate for RowanSOM, hopefully an early application works out with these stats.

Thank you again, I appreciate it.
I can't recommend any of the Touros with your MCAT score.

I forgot to mention to try all your NJ MD schools!!! Also consider:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
TCU/UNT
Rosy Franklin
Loyola (maybe)

I can't recommend any of the Touros with your MCAT score.

I forgot to mention to try all your NJ MD schools!!! Also consider:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
TCU/UNT
Rosy Franklin
Loyola (maybe)

Oh wow, didn’t even think there was means to apply MD but I’ll look into all these suggestions!

Appreciate the help tremendously.