MD WAMC cGPA 3.7 sGPA 3.64 MCAT 515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a bit of a rough semester and got lower grades than anticipated (2 b+). I've had an upward trend except for this semester. I haven't taken the MCAT, but I expect around a 515. I am a junior in Georgia and attend a state university.

ECs:
Research: 1 year of research in infectious disease ~200 hours
Clinical Volunteering: 2 years of clinical volunteering at a local hospital ~100 hours (I also plan to do more volunteering this summer)
Shadowing: 60 hours shadowing family doctor
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200+ hours at a local charity, ~70 hours from a service trip
Extracurricular Activities: Physics TA (4 hrs / week - 1 semester), Math Tutor for local middle school and head tutor for 1 semester (24 hours); vice president of a cultural club
Employment: Receptionist at medical office (1 year) and Math and Biology Tutor

Specialty of Interest: Primary Care

I have decent LORs and am a ORM (Asian).

I plan to apply for state schools and other medical schools in the southeast (primarily mid-tier schools).

I'd appreciate some school suggestions and would like to know if I am a competitive applicant. Should I also apply to DO schools?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming that all goes according to plan with the MCAT, you're in good shape! If your MCAT ends up being 515 there won't be a need to apply DO (unless you want to, that is). My advice is to keep doing what your doing in terms of the extracurricular activities. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice in the future! And best of luck on your MCAT!

Edit- Don't be afraid to throw in 3-5 reach schools!

Georgia's one of those lucky states, eh? with MCG and Mercer for Georgians. Do you plan to apply this year? Your EC looks a bit cookie-cutterish, so be sure to gather more meaningful hours before you apply. What is your actual GPA?

Your MCAT's going to matter a lot, so come back when you have the actual score. Good luck!