This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_violinist

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope y'all are doing well. I am a senior Public Health major applying for med school EY 2024. I wanted see if anyone has some insight to offer regarding my chances for admission into Texas Medical Schools. I am a resident of Texas.

Some background: I entered college as a Biology major and found the major too science heavy and not interesting. I then switched to Public Health the beginning of my sophomore year and decided to take a break in my pre-medical journey to look into other professions such as health policy or healthcare admin so I could truly decipher if med school is what I wanted to do. I found myself not wanting to go into anything but medical school and actually started missing science classes (crazy, I know). I started taking prerequisite classes again the second semester of my junior year and have since been working towards creating a solid admissions application for EY 2024.

cGPA: 3.77
sGPA: 3.54
MCAT: 510
Q dropped: Gen Chem 2 (got an A after retaking) and Biochem (retaking now but on track for an A)
Potential weak spots: There is not really an upward trend in my GPA. I got a C in OChem 2 during Summer 2022. Then, I got a B in Neuroscience and a C in Genetics the next semester. Now, I am hoping for an A in Biochem and another upper-level Bio class.
Clinical Experience: 400 hours
Volunteering: 500 hours
Shadowing: 50 hours
Research: Bascially nothing.. doing a semester of research now
Leadership: Student senator (2 years), Class treasurer (3 years), marketing director of a healthcare marketing organization (1 semester), peer-mentor to first year college students (2 years), student-athlete tutor (~1 year)
Letters of Rec: average but not anything special

My questions are:
1) Is 1 semester of an upward trend enough for admissions to believe I've made a turn for the better in academics? Despite the 2 classes I dropped and the 2 C's I have?
2) Is virtual scribing enough for clinical experience if supplemented with in-person volunteering?
3) Should I enroll in a special masters/post-bacc program during my gap year? There is one program that I am looking into that is designed for pre-med students wanting to increase their GPA and get involved with research. I would graduate the program with a Masters in Medical Sciences. The program typically has a high rate of students getting into a medical school after completion. If I were to take this, it would not be reflected in my application but serves as a backup to put in my EY 2025 application if I do not get in EY 2024.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The more detail we have according to your adherence to the WAMC template, the easier it is for feedback. What are your year-by-year GPA's? Where in Texas are you?
Thanks for your response. I am in Houston, Texas. Below are my year-by-year GPA's.

Fall 2019: 3.714
Spring 2020: 3.600 (dropped Gen Chem 2)
Summer 2020: 4.000 (retook Gen Chem 2)
Fall 2020: 4.000 (took 1 science class)
Spring 2021: 4.000 (took no science classes)
Fall 2021: 4.000 (took no science classes)
Spring 2022: 3.769 (took 2 science classes)
Summer 2022: 2.5 (got a C in OChem 2)
Fall 2022: 3.25 (dropped Biochem)
Spring 2023: 4.000 (fingers crossed)

As you can see, my GPA fell after the re-introduction of science classes into my course load. However, I have found my footing this semester and am hoping it is enough to show admissions that I can handle med school curriculum. What are your thoughts?

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response. I am in Houston, Texas. Below are my year-by-year GPA's.

Fall 2019: 3.714
Spring 2020: 3.600 (dropped Gen Chem 2)
Summer 2020: 4.000 (retook Gen Chem 2)
Fall 2020: 4.000 (took 1 science class)
Spring 2021: 4.000 (took no science classes)
Fall 2021: 4.000 (took no science classes)
Spring 2022: 3.769 (took 2 science classes)
Summer 2022: 2.5 (got a C in OChem 2)
Fall 2022: 3.25 (dropped Biochem)
Spring 2023: 4.000 (fingers crossed)

As you can see, my GPA fell after the re-introduction of science classes into my course load. However, I have found my footing this semester and am hoping it is enough to show admissions that I can handle med school curriculum. What are your thoughts?

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Mr.Smile requested year-by-year. You provided it by semester. One semester of doing better is not likley to stick out. TMDAS schools prefer high GPA applicants.

What's the breakdown between virtual scribing and in-person clinical experience?

You would need to also apply to TCOM, Sam Houston and the new TX MD schools. I would suggest TCU and Tulane as well depending on what your community service is like.

Reactions: 1 user