WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackiemoon12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks like strong app for 2021-2022 cycle. I'd say you have a good shot at the three noted in-state VA schools, Maryland, Quinnipiac, and Minnesota. You have a good list, but I'd suggest applying a little more broadly --- maybe 30 schools. It really can come down to a numbers game and you have some low yields on there (G-town, Tufts, Sidney Kimmel, Wake, Drexel, and Tulane). You might try U. of Wisconsin and Wisconsin Medical College given your time in neighboring MN. Same for Iowa though MCAT a little low. I think you'd also be competitive at St. Louis University -- they interview a high percentage of OOS applicants. You might try Pitt though it's a reach much like Michigan. Dartmouth might be worth a try. Miami is another in your range though the secondary is a bear.

Keep up the clinical work and do a great job on those secondaries! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like strong app for 2021-2022 cycle. I'd say you have a good shot at the three noted in-state VA schools, Maryland, Quinnipiac, and Minnesota. You have a good list, but I'd suggest applying a little more broadly --- maybe 30 schools. It really can come down to a numbers game and you have some low yields on there (G-town, Tufts, Sidney Kimmel, Wake, Drexel, and Tulane). You might try U. of Wisconsin and Wisconsin Medical College given your time in neighboring MN. Same for Iowa though MCAT a little low. I think you'd also be competitive at St. Louis University -- they interview a high percentage of OOS applicants. You might try Pitt though it's a reach much like Michigan. Dartmouth might be worth a try. Miami is another in your range though the secondary is a bear.

Keep up the clinical work and do a great job on those secondaries! Good luck!
Thank you very much for the response! Would you suggest I retake the mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd strongly suggest getting more diverse shadowing experience (add primary care) and more clinical/non-clinical volunteering. Your current volunteering is okayyy but on the weak side. I'd feel more comfortable with 150-200 hrs of both, and prioritize volunteering for those who need it the most (hospice, homeless shelters, etc.)

Your MCAT score is good right now, but I'd retake it if it expires for your state school. Were your AAMC practice scores higher or lower than your actual score? About the same?

Reactions: 1 user
I'd strongly suggest getting more diverse shadowing experience (add primary care) and more clinical/non-clinical volunteering. Your current volunteering is okayyy but on the weak side. I'd feel more comfortable with 150-200 hrs of both, and prioritize volunteering for those who need it the most (hospice, homeless shelters, etc.)

Your MCAT score is good right now, but I'd retake it if it expires for your state school. Were your AAMC practice scores higher or lower than your actual score? About the same?
About the same. But, it was two years ago... I was taking 3rd party tests a couple months ago that were aiming above my current score. I would have to restudy tho.

It is unlikely that I could find other volunteering opportunities right now. I will try to shadow, but recent attempts at shadowing have failed.

About the same. But, it was two years ago... I was taking 3rd party tests a couple months ago that were aiming above my current score. I would have to restudy tho.
It's up to you and if you want to restudy. It would be nice to apply to UVA, but UVA is also OOS friendly and your app should be good enough to get into other schools. My state school is OOS friendly and I haven't gotten love from them at all this cycle.

Your biggest weakness is volunteering, and I'd scavenge for more opportunities. There are things you can do that aren't in-person (crisis-hotline).

Thank you very much for the response! Would you suggest I retake the mcat?
I would not retake and just adjust school list a bit. To make much of a difference, you'd probably have to score at least 3 points higher and there is risk you could score same or lower, both of which would be viewed negatively. Right now with your stellar GPA, a single MCAT of 513 would indicate to me you probably are quite capable but maybe didn't have your best test day. Retake and get a 513/514 and you now have made my initial assumption suspect and I might question the rigor of your school (easy school). Leaving the 513 out there is best bet unless you are just so intent on T20 school.