Ptsivik

Apr 24, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey there! NY resident applying in the class of 2026. Male 23 and first time applying

Schools: Tufts, Midwestern, FSU, KSU, CSU, MSU, Purdue, Mississippi state, OSU, oklahoma state, Minnesota state

Cumulative GPA:
-
between 3.54-3.62 depending on how the fall of 2021 goes

Science GPA:
- If I had to guess between 3.53-3.65 after this semester

Last 45 GPA:
- Goal is a 3.91 but realistically I see it being a 3.75-3.81

Degrees:
-Bachelors in Biology Winter 2021

GRE: No lol

Veterinary experience:
-
1100 Hours (and counting) in low stress certified small animal practice (most likely to hit 1500 hours or more by the time my application is submitted).

Animal experience:
-
Nature preserve around 150 hours.

Research: sadly none

Scholarships/awards:
-Transfer scholarship
-Dean's list for 2 years

Extracurriculars:
-Rotaract Club since Junior year (regular member)
-Vet tech club since Freshman year (regular member)

Work experience (non animal related):
-Best Buy over 5000 hours working security and inventory
-7/11 320 hours working as an associate
-Starbucks barista (over the summer) probably around 200 hours when I apply
- Orientation Leader about 150 hours
- Best Market around 630 hours as a grocery associate

My GPA is pretty average as far as competitiveness goes. I have spoken with a few veterinary schools and all three have said my grades are pretty good and my diverse work experience is something they seem to really like. If anyone has any tips for me or comments on my qualifications please let me know.

supershorty

still not a wolf
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Hey there! NY resident applying in the class of 2026. Male 23 and first time applying

Schools: Tufts, Midwestern, FSU, KSU, CSU, MSU, Purdue, Mississippi state, OSU, oklahoma state, Minnesota state
Just to clarify, which schools do you mean with the bolded - Michigan State or Mississippi State, and UMN? They weigh aspects of your application differently, so it helps us to help you better if we know which ones you mean.

Also, if you're a NY resident, you might want to put Cornell on your list. In-state tuition is going to be less expensive there than OOS at some of the programs on your list.

Your GPAs look good. I think it would help your application if you're able to diversify your veterinary hours - you have an okay number of hours, but if they're all in small animal GP, that doesn't really give you a great window into all of the opportunities available to you in the field. Are you able to shadow some large animal (including equine), research, or public health vets where you live?

Ptsivik

Apr 24, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Just to clarify, which schools do you mean with the bolded - Michigan State or Mississippi State, and UMN? They weigh aspects of your application differently, so it helps us to help you better if we know which ones you mean.

Also, if you're a NY resident, you might want to put Cornell on your list. In-state tuition is going to be less expensive there than OOS at some of the programs on your list.

Your GPAs look good. I think it would help your application if you're able to diversify your veterinary hours - you have an okay number of hours, but if they're all in small animal GP, that doesn't really give you a great window into all of the opportunities available to you in the field. Are you able to shadow some large animal (including equine), research, or public health vets where you live?
Hey there! So MSU was Michigan state and the last being Minnesota state and the other being Mississippi State. Sadly due to Covid-19 and everything going on the places I've contacted are unable to take people on for shadowing due to health concerns. The only reason Cornell is not on my list is because of how secluded it is up there and it would not help my mental health and I also have a sponsor for my vet school costs thankfully.

About the Ads

supershorty

still not a wolf
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Hey there! So MSU was Michigan state and the last being Minnesota state University of Minnesota
There is no Minnesota state (or FSU, for that matter - it's University of Florida). Fixed that for you.

I think your GPAs will be competitive at a lot of those programs. Because of COVID, I'm not sure how the lack of breadth of experiences will be weighed, tbh. Obviously ideally you'd have more variety there, so I'd be prepared to address that in interviews.

Last edited:

Ptsivik

Apr 24, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
There is no Minnesota state (or FSU, for that matter - it's University of Florida). Fixed that for you.

I think your GPAs will be competitive at a lot of those programs. Because of COVID, I'm not sure how the lack of breadth of experiences will be weighed, tbh. Obviously ideally you'd have more variety there, so I'd be prepared to address that in interviews.
Fair enough honestly and i'll most likely try and get at the very least 20-35 hours under my belt for some large animal since my time at the nature preserve covers a wide range of exotic experiences. I appreciate your time and feedback my friend.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.