WAMC Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldamnnn

Reaction score
Date of submission: N/A
Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA:27/ BIO:27/ Chem:29/ OC:28/ RC:29/ QR:23
State of Residence: Canada

Major: Biomedical Science undergrad, Health Science Post-Bacc
Minor: None
Minority? Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Kind of? I did one year of post-bacc

Shadowing Experience: 200 OMF surgeon
Volunteering Experience: 1120 hours Disability Coalition supporting equitable access for persons w disabilities
800 hours refugee volunteer
500 hours delivering learning activities to elementary kids
100 hours volunteer at my city's hospital
Employment: 840 hours retail job
1080 hours naturopathic clinic
240 Hours covid research
1260 hours patient caregiver at hospitals around my city
Research: 240 hours COVID research - received a grant
Might get a cardiology research position soon
Other Extracurriculars: Environmental Club executive
Relevant Honors or Awards: Fluency diploma in French (B1) and Spanish (B1), Research Grant
LOR type and strength: 2 Science Profs - strong, oral surgeon - strong, volunteer coordinator - strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
International (Canadian)

School list:

USC - Pretty much my 1st choice
NYU
UCSF
Chicago

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: N/A
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.63
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.41
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA:27/ BIO:27/ Chem:29/ OC:28/ RC:29/ QR:23
State of Residence: Canada

Major: Biomedical Science undergrad, Health Science Post-Bacc
Minor: None
Minority? Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Kind of? I did one year of post-bacc

Shadowing Experience: 200 OMF surgeon
Volunteering Experience: 1120 hours Disability Coalition supporting equitable access for persons w disabilities
800 hours refugee volunteer
500 hours delivering learning activities to elementary kids
100 hours volunteer at my city's hospital
Employment: 840 hours retail job
1080 hours naturopathic clinic
240 Hours covid research
1260 hours patient caregiver at hospitals around my city
Research: 240 hours COVID research - received a grant
Might get a cardiology research position soon
Other Extracurriculars: Environmental Club executive
Relevant Honors or Awards: Fluency diploma in French (B1) and Spanish (B1), Research Grant
LOR type and strength: 2 Science Profs - strong, oral surgeon - strong, volunteer coordinator - strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: International (Canadian)

School list:
USC - Pretty much my 1st choice
NYU
UCSF
Chicago
you need to research what schools are international friendly and increase your school list
also, it would be best if you added a bunch of general dentist shadowing...

Reactions: 1 user
OP: are you still in Canada or are you doing (did you do) your postbac in the US? Are you living in the US?

You are definitely missing your US border schools who tend to interview/accept a lot of Canadian applicants.

Also ditch more research for more general dentistry experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: are you still in Canada or are you doing (did you do) your postbac in the US? Are you living in the US?

You are definitely missing your US border schools who tend to interview/accept a lot of Canadian applicants.

Also ditch more research for more general dentistry experience.
I've been in Canada and am still in Canada. Never studied in the US before. I'm going to apply to at least 20 schools including border schools but I listed my top choices. I think my stats are high enough that I would be able to interview at at least a couple schools if I applied to a million but I want to focus on improving my chances for the ones I listed, mostly, especially USC.

stats are good, I'd increase your general dentistry hours though.

see which schools are best for internationals - I agree on the border schools being your best bet

What is it about USC that you like? Have you talked to students who attend? Are there many Canadians in their class or alumni who graduated and have returned to Canada?
I like their PBL based learning, and I've talked to a couple of students that are D1s and love the school and all the faculty. Additionally, its on DATbooster and DATcrusher's list of Canadian friendly dental schools. My older sister lives in Los Angeles and has a career there, I could stay with her rent-free, and I enjoy the city and the weather. Getting away from -30 degree weather in Toronto would be a dream. Ever since my sister moved to LA 10 years ago, spending summers there made me realize that is where I want to settle, even after graduating.

I know many of us remark on how expensive USC is, and being non-US won't make it a lot easier. That said, it's good you've made connections with students there so have you talked with any Canadian students attending the school?

I would want to know when you would need a car, especially for clinical rotations and such. I don't suppose your sibling will just lend you her car... it is Los Angeles and thus is not a trivial issue (especially for you to get a license... California BMV is a time-killer).

Have you also made similar connections to the other schools you listed above?

I know many of us remark on how expensive USC is, and being non-US won't make it a lot easier. That said, it's good you've made connections with students there so have you talked with any Canadian students attending the school?

I would want to know when you would need a car, especially for clinical rotations and such. I don't suppose your sibling will just lend you her car... it is Los Angeles and thus is not a trivial issue (especially for you to get a license... California BMV is a time-killer).

Have you also made similar connections to the other schools you listed above?
I already have a car, the payments for it have finished thankfully so I only pay a little bit in insurance each month and gas, those expenses are only a drop in the ocean for me at this point. I haven't talked to any Canadian students, unfortunately, neither have I made connections to other schools like I have with USC. At this point I don't want to think too far ahead or tie myself to one school in particular because I'm not guaranteed admission. I just want to make sure I get into my schools of choice and then my plan is when I do actually get my acceptances I plan on staying in those cities for a week in a hotel to experience the commute, the campus, the city, the surroundings, to see what FEELS best to me. So right now just focusing on increasing my chances of admission.

As already mentioned above, try to get more experience with regard to GP. Other than that, your stat looks good.