T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskymom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
T

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Morning!
I recovered from covid-19 recently and finally took the DAT yesterday. I'd like to hear advice on my chances in this cycle.

I'm a

Texas resident
Univ of Texas, Bio major
3.95 Science GPA (Texas school)
3.97 Total GPA (Texas Scool)
100 hrs Shadowing
200 hrs Voluntering
2 Lor from professors and 1 from a dentist
Dat score : PAT 23, QR 17, RC 19, BIO 19, GC 19, OC 21. (Total Science 20, Academic Average 19)
Non-traditional applicant
(Have a foriegn BS degree, age over 30)

I was too nervous the night before the exam and ended up staying up all night. I was half asleep when taking the DAT. I plan on retaking DAT late February next year, but it may be too late for this cycle.

My questions are

1. I have already applied to 4 Texas dental schools in October. Now I bombed the DAT, would I still have a chance to make it to any of the 4 Texas dental schools with my stats?

2. What other private dental schools I would likely make it this cycle with my stats? Currently thinking Tufts, Boston univ, LECOM, NOVA.

3. Retake the DAT and apply next cycle is my best shot for now?

Thank you guys in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't say you bombed the DAT, but your score and your GPA don't really match one another. ADCOMs tend to scratch their head when they see a fantastic GPA mixed with a lower DAT and they begin to wonder if your courses were too easy and/or there was a lot of grade inflation at your school.

That said, I think a 3.97 GPA with a 19 AA is better than say a 3.25 and 23. The GPA is more representative of a long term commitment vs a one-day test that probably took 2-3 months to prepare for. I'm certainly not trying to minimize the weight of the DAT because it does carry a lot and a bad score can sink you with some schools.....the same way a good score can forgive a lot of academic "sins". I'm simply saying that there are many more dire situations than yours. I think you'll be fine next cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. I have already applied to 4 Texas dental schools in October. Now I bombed the DAT, would I still have a chance to make it to any of the 4 Texas dental schools with my stats?

2. What other private dental schools I would likely make it this cycle with my stats? Currently thinking Tufts, Boston univ, LECOM, NOVA.

Agree with above, the high GPA but average DAT usually is a sign of grade-inflation at your school (it was really easy for people to get As and thus a high GPA, but that didn't carry over in your scores for a standardized test like the DAT). To answer your questions though -

1. Hard to say, I think TX schools are wildly competitive even for IS applicants. I know IS people with high GPAs and 21s that couldn't get into one of the TX schools. You also applied really late (considering TMDSAS opened in May) and your DAT needs to be verified before it'll be sent out, so it may be another 2-3 weeks before your app is even reviewed by anyone at the school.

2. Would not apply to any other schools this cycle. It's far too late and your DAT wouldn't be helping.

3. Yup. Retake the DAT early and apply as soon as the cycle opens for both TMDSAS and AADSAS, in case you don't hear anything from the TX schools this cycle.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Morning!
I recovered from covid-19 recently and finally took the DAT yesterday. I'd like to hear advice on my chances in this cycle.

I'm a

Texas resident
Univ of Texas, Bio major
3.95 Science GPA (Texas school)
3.97 Total GPA (Texas Scool)
100 hrs Shadowing
200 hrs Voluntering
2 Lor from professors and 1 from a dentist
Dat score : PAT 23, QR 17, RC 19, BIO 19, GC 19, OC 21. (Total Science 20, Academic Average 19)
Non-traditional applicant
(Have a foriegn BS degree, age over 30)

I was too nervous the night before the exam and ended up staying up all night. I was half asleep when taking the DAT. I plan on retaking DAT late February next year, but it may be too late for this cycle.

My questions are

Thank you guys in advance!

You already applied to Texas? I think you have a strong shot with at least one Texas school. Don’t worry.
-Texas dental student

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.