WAMC DO poor mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studenthopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker but first time posting as i just got my MCAT

What are my chances for DO school only.
cgpa 3.4
sgpa 3.2
MCAT: 495

White male from NY but strong ties with Alabama (family lives there and did undergrad there) ACOM?
Typical volunteer and shadow experiences. 1 publication

I understand the MCAT is bad. My question is will it get screened at the newer schools and is there any shot at applying. I looked at some of the newer DO schools and their average MCAT is around 501 so half must be around or under 500, No? again i know 495 is a few points under. Also if the new idaho school were to open for this cycle as expected would i have a chance there?

That being said where do i go from here if not applying, SMP Post bacc, what?

@Goro @gyngyn @Faha much appreciate thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can't recommend applying with that MCAT score. It puts you in the risk zone of failing out of med school, and/or failing Boards.

Chances best with the newest DO schools. You're be autorejected at mine and many others. Even LUCOM has standards!

Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend applying with that MCAT score. It puts you in the risk zone of failing out of med school, and/or failing Boards.

Chances best with the newest DO schools. You're be autorejected at mine and many others. Even LUCOM has standards!
so should i apply only to new school and SMP. not sure where to go from here

Members don't see this ad :)
I also recommend retaking the MCAT but only when your practice scores are consistently above 500. With a MCAT over 500 you would have a chance for interviews at some of the newer DO schools.

I also recommend retaking the MCAT but only when your practice scores are consistently above 500. With a MCAT over 500 you would have a chance for interviews at some of the newer DO schools.
i had already submitted apps to the new schools so how low of a chance are we talking

These are the newer schools where you could receive an interview with your stats so apply to all of them. Most have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you are below the median everywhere. You could receive 2 or 3 interviews though.

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

Idaho (new school)

LUCOM

These are the newer schools where you could receive an interview with your stats so apply to all of them. Most have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you are below the median everywhere. You could receive 2 or 3 interviews though.

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

Idaho (new school)