WAMC- DO school cGPA: 3.50 sGPA: 3.61 help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcc5635

Reaction score
Year in school: graduated, finishing MPH program (2 year)
Country/state of residence: PA resident
Schools to which you are applying: PCOM, LECOM (all), TOURO-NY, TOURO-NV, TOURO-CA, CHSU-COM, WesternU/COMP, NYITCOM: Add more?
Cumulative GPA: 3.50
Graduate GPA (MPH Epi): 4.0
Science GPA: 3.61
MCAT Scores: 508
Extracurricular Activities:
Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):
  • Infectious disease epi research: ~450 hrs (2+ years)
  • Cancer epi research: 200 hrs (~1 year)
  • UG Physiology research lab assistant: 65 hrs (1 year)
  • founded research journal with Library of Congress in UG (2+ years)
Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
  • Volunteer EMT: ~500 hrs (1.5 years)
  • Physical therapist aide: ~300 hrs (2 years)
  • Abroad program in Panama helping underserved (clinic setting): ~60 hrs (a couple weeks)
Non-clinical volunteering:
  • Medical Journal Editor, member: 300hrs (3+ years)
  • UN Volunteer (abroad): 200+ hrs (continuing, 1+ year)
  • Monkey health explorer project: 150+ hrs (continuing, 1+ year)
  • TA as a graduate student: 100+ hrs (1 year)
Employment history:
  • Student tutor (chemistry, physics, bio): 400+ hrs (1.5 years)
  • Epidemiology lab assistant (see above)
Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): N
Specialty of interest: IM, FM, Gastroenterology
Shadowing experience: ~100hrs ranging from IM, FM and EM.
Graduate degrees: MPH in epidemiology (finishing); expected ~4.0
Interest in rural health (y/n): Y

problem: I have 6 PS grades when my mom passed away in my last year of UG, none were science.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everything looks really solid, not gonna lie.

I came here to say this: Your undergraduate GPA and your graduate GPA will be looked at separately. Any science class you took in a masters program is not counted in your science GPA (I could be wrong, but I think this is correct). Anyway, just keep that in mind. Also, you can only be the "resident" of one state - such as the one you have a current, legal drivers license in (granted, you can technically be the resident of two but it is EXTREMELY rare), so also keep that in mind. Lastly, it should not matter which state of residency you hold as most every DO school is private and therefore there is no IS vs OOS debacle, but there are some regional biases pending school .

Your chances are good so long as you do not have any other red flags on your application / have a good personality to go along with everything you have listed. You have your pick of schools, so just make sure the ones you are applying to are the schools you would actually want to attend; personally, I like VCOM, but with your list, I think DMU, KCU, AT Still would be solid adds.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
You could add UNECOM, Campbell, WVSOM, (as well as the schools stated in the previous comment) and others depending on your location preference. Also, as an aside, I had slightly lower stats than you and did pretty well with the DO cycle this year, and I have major regret not applying to a few MD as well. You have a pretty solid application so that's something to think about. (I'm not sure what a PS grade is so I'm not sure how that factors in)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)