WAMC DO schools cGPA 3.5 & 497 (poor mcat received yesterday)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podsaveamerica

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.2
  2. 497 (122/126/124/125)
  3. IN
  4. Caucasian
  5. Small Private Midwestern University
  6. ~300 hours clinical volunteer experience
  7. 3 credit hours research, no publications
  8. ~100 hours shadowing with derm, anesthesia, primary care, radiology, DO primary care specifically
  9. many EC leadership positions, two nominated exec positions within sorority, active in global health club, dance marathon exec, (aamc approved) abroad sustainable health volunteering
  10. I have DO LOR.
  11. Really looking to get into any DO school (specifically Marian or Liberty University). I am very passionate about primary care and decided to post here after posting in mcat retake forum asking more so WHEN not IF I should retake mcat and was advised to post here. Do I really have a chance with this MCAT score,? If I were to retake MCAT in august is this cycle out of the question? Any advice is very appreciated as I feel pretty lost after receiving such a low score (lower than practice exams). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at these DO schools with your current stats:
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
Sam Houston State (new school accepting applications later in the year)
WCU-COM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews if you apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much this is so helpful! I called LUCOM and they have a minimum score of 501 so that would have to be met. Also, I thought VCOM had a minimum of 500 as well. My application is ready to go, I was just waiting on the score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much this is so helpful! I called LUCOM and they have a minimum score of 501 so that would have to be met. Also, I thought VCOM had a minimum of 500 as well. My application is ready to go, I was just waiting on the score.
VCOM's median is 500 so they are accepting half their class with 500 or lower. The same with LUCOM.

KCU-COM screens for 3.25, 501

This shows all of the DO schools and their average MCAT/GPA

Reactions: 5 users
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
LECOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
WCU-COM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews if you apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July.
I must disagree with my learned colleague on the choices of LUCOM, CHSUCOM, and WCU.

May I ask what makes you say this? Just stats or something specific?
CHSUCOM: too new and too small a rotations pool,.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.
From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
LECOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
WCU-COM
I think CUSOM screens any subsection lower than 124 or 125 though. Also, I recently learned that ARCOM incoming class MCAT average increased significantly this year, and it is around 504 or so if everyone that holds a seat right now matriculates.

LUCOM will look at you with a below 500 score, but it won’t be until much later in the cycle (talking late February). You have plenty of time to raise your score if you’re particularly interested in them before that point.

I think CUSOM screens any subsection lower than 124 or 125 though. Also, I recently learned that ARCOM incoming class MCAT average increased significantly this year, and it is around 504 or so if everyone that holds a seat right now matriculates.
Oh really? I hadn't found that anywhere yet, so just curious where this came from? Thanks!

CHSUCOM: too new and too small a rotations pool,.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.
From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.
I see! Thank you so much. Other than these do you feel that school list is feasible/realistic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh really? I hadn't found that anywhere yet, so just curious where this came from? Thanks!
CUSOM screening MCAT subsections I read about on the 2018-2019 CUSOM application cycle thread. It should be close to the beginning of the thread. The ARCOM MCAT average I know because I attend school here and heard it from some people, but I think you still have a chance here though.

Looking for some new advice! So, I retook the mcat and only did slightly better (497-->499(124/125/126/124). I'm sooooo mad about that one point that I feel like would have sent me over the edge for at least a couple II. With the secondaries I have submitted do I have a shot at this cycle at all? I was waitlisted pre-interview at ACOM and KYCOM does this new mcat score do anything for me or just hurt me? I am trying hard (and failing) to not freak out about not having a plan for what to do if I don't get in (I graduate in May). Thank you in advance! Love this community!

Which schools did you end up applying to ?

ACOM - preinterview hold
KYCOM - preinterview hold
WVCOM - secondary
CCOM - secondary
MUCOM - secondary
BURRELL - secondary
LECOM-FL - secondary
LECOM-PA - secondary
PCOM- georgia - secondary
PCOM-S georgia - secondary
VCOM-VA - under review for secondary
VCOM-Carolinas
VCOM-Auburn
CAMPBELL - under review for secondary
LUCOM - heard nothing
PNWCOM - heard nothing

Add some more schools this week and I suggest:
LECOM- Elmira
VCOM-Monroe
ICOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
LMU-DCOM
Sam Houston State
Your 499 MCAT is an improvement over your previous 497 and you should receive interviews. The DO interview season extends until next May.

If you're not from the northwest, you probably will never hear back from PNWU. They only accept very few from out of that area.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

If you're not from the northwest, you probably will never hear back from PNWU. They only accept very few from out of that area.

~30% OOS matriculants, which means much more than 30% OOS were accepted. Emphasize quality rather than quantity with your posts IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
~30% OOS matriculants, which means much more than 30% OOS were accepted. Emphasize quality rather than quantity with your posts IMO.
Well, that was the point. 71.6% of the recent class is from Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana. Which mean only 28.4% of a class of 75 was from out of the region. Which means your stats would probably have to be above their median (3.4 and 503) to be consider, and even then they probably will go for people in region close by (like California, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah) before they go for let's say someone from North Carolina because their mission is "to educate physicians to serve rural and medically underserved areas in the Pacific Northwest."

Last edited: