WAMC (DO schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username77777

Reaction score
Canadian Applicant

AACOMAS
cGPA:3.40, sGPA: 3.17, nsGPA: 3.75
Graduate GPA: 4.0
Retook 3 courses (orgo (C to B), anatomy (D+ to A) and immunology(C- to A-)). The retakes really affected my sGPA
first year - ~3.85
Second year - 3ish? Bad second semester (winter 2017)
Third year - 3 ish? Bad first semester (fall 2017)
Fourth year ~ 3.85

I’m definitely going to explain my hardships in 2017, lots of personal struggles and got really sick.

MCAT (3 attempts, first attempt (sub-500) has expired)

512 (129/124/131/128)
511 (127/126/131/127) - thought I did well on all of the science sections....score told me otherwise 😭
Planning a retake in Jan-April, 2022 if I don’t get in this cycle.

ECs:
Lots of teaching and tutoring (2 TAships, 1.5 years ~800-900 hours of online teaching, 100 hours of private tutoring)
Some customer service experience (fast food chain in high school and server for 2.5 years during undergrad; total hours in the 1000s)

Major leadership experience: co-founder of a nonprofit (various global issues) and still active in the org ~1800 hours over 7.5 years

School Clubs totaling over 100 hours

Shadowing in China (endoscopic surgeon) and an US MD (dermatologist) 110 hours - will get a strong MD recommendation letter

Completing a thesis-based Masters - 1 pub (a second with a PhD student but he’s taking forever to finish his degree...), 1 published abstract and presentation at a major conference, 1 focus group presentation. Studying a signalling pathway and research involves the use and obtainment of primary cell culture and various molecular biology techniques. 1500-2000 hours of basic lab research over the two years.

Over 100 hours volunteering in different units of local hospitals (should be clinical, have direct contact with patients)

100 hours helping in an acupuncturist clinic (direct contact with patients, general admin help around the clinic).

120 hours volunteering at a local senior home for over 2 years

1000 hours for obtaining RCM grade 8 piano and 1500 for obtaining RCM grade 10 flute, going to festivals (won an array of gold, silver and copper) and recitals.

Advice for how I can strengthen my GPA and application would also be greatly appreciated! I’m starting to write my personal statement now, and I’m going to submit as early as possible.

Awards
One local impact award with my nonprofit
Several small college entrance scholarships (totally around $5000).
Dean’s List for the first year of undergrad (last year didn’t count because I retook 2 courses during the fall semester)

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at DO schools that accept applications from Canadians and I suggest these:
AZCOM
KCU-COM
MSUCOM
LUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
Touro-NY
WCU-COM
UNECOM
LMU-DCOM

Reactions: 1 users