WAMC: Early Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist221

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to submit my application as soon as it opens so here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.3

Science GPA: 3.0

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19 AA, 22 Gen chem, 16 Bio, 16 Orgo, 17 TS, 20 RC, 19 QR, 19 PAT

State of Residence: VA

Major: Global Health

Minority? Yes, Middle Eastern

Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 450 hours shadowing and volunteer assisting

Employment: Full time throughout college to support family, extensive work experience

Research: n/a

Other Extracurriculars: Just 36+ hours a week of work, shadowing, and personal hobbies in remaining free time

Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list for the last two years of undergrad

LOR type and strength: Strong letters from 2 Bio instructors and 1 from teacher in major and 1 from general dentist who I shadowed with and is a well known dentist for a major sports organization.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Drastic upward trend for GPA in college, immigrant minority grew up underprivileged.

School list:

Howard

VCU

Meharry

WVU

Touro

UNE

Temple

NYU

Rutgers

open to other schools as well

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if us middle easterns count as minority in the application. In AADSAS where you choose your race, we have to put it as White, so Meharry and Howard are useless to your school list.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I never encourage early decision applications since it could lock you out of applying to other programs, so check the rules to be sure.
that's not what OP meant...

that's not what OP meant...
Ah... sorry. :)

So that said, you have a tough road ahead. GPA and DAT are really lower than desired. Technically you could select Other and list Arabic on the race/ethnicity classification if you don't feel comfortable selecting "white."

How much have you talked with dental school admissions officers about your pending application? To current students? Your best shot is being an in-state student, and I'm not confident VCU will take a flyer at you. The HBCU schools maybe but you need to be fully committed in working with underserved and disadvantaged populations... you should network with them.

Reactions: 2 users
we're in basically the same boat - I am applying to more schools and trying to play the probability game

Ah... sorry. :)

So that said, you have a tough road ahead. GPA and DAT are really lower than desired. Technically you could select Other and list Arabic on the race/ethnicity classification if you don't feel comfortable selecting "white."

How much have you talked with dental school admissions officers about your pending application? To current students? Your best shot is being an in-state student, and I'm not confident VCU will take a flyer at you. The HBCU schools maybe but you need to be fully committed in working with underserved and disadvantaged populations... you should network with them.
Agreed. best shot in state but even that is not so bright. need to work on improving stats

I would shore up my metrics. Plan on postbac work (I don't know what you've taken the last two years since you say you did a lot better) and definitely try for DAT scores of 20+, perhaps 21+ across all sections.

You might can slide by with one section less than a 17 on dat, but not 2. Especially not 2 science sections. If you apply this cycle, still make a plan in case you don't get accepted.

I would agree. Plan to retake the dat at some point. Bootcamp helped me. If you plan to take more science classes(post bacc or masters) then it may be a good idea to take it after you finish the classes. Stay determined and work harder than ever on every aspect you plan to improve on your application. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted thank everyone on this post that offered guidance and let you guys know that I got into Dental school!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users