• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

MD WAMC ??? EDITED: Anxiety Over School List (3.9 / 513 / CA Resident)

AnythingButCARS

Sep 17, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
I am in a similar boat. CA resident, Berkeley grad, 515 with low CARS (131/124/131/129) and relatively similar experiences. I have been doing a ton of research on school lists and will likely post a WAMC of my own to get an expert opinion. They say to apply to all state schools but we are in that weird in-between where its probably not worth it to apply to UCSD, UCLA, or UCSF (but I'm not sure).

Start with:
CUSM
CNU (questionable school maybe, at least so it seems)
UCI
UCD
USC
Kaiser
UCR If you are from inland empire/ do work with that community
Loma Linda (if you are with the lord and savior lol/ wouldn't mind being surrounded by that type of community)

outside of CA:
UVM
Rosy franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Uniformed services (as adcoms say on here, be aware of service commitment)
Places like U of A don't love OOS but I think they appreciate CA residents bc we are close

Low yield OOS, but a match with stats:
Jefferson
Temple
Tulane
Emory
Drexel
Tufts
Albert Einstein (sounds smart, must be good)
Wake Forest

Thats a start I guess

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Kaiser
California University
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
Faha - thanks. Why not SLU, Rush, Loyola, Creighton, Georgetown, Tufts ? Not enough volunteering ? And would I have a realistic shot at Cincinnati, Dartmouth, Colorado, Emory, Rochester, Brown, Miami, or Va Tech ?
SLU, Rush, Loyola, Creighton, Georgetown are looking for applicants with many more non clinical volunteering hours than you have. You mentioned you want to apply to no more than 25 schools so I gave you the ones where you are most likely to receive an interview. If you want to apply to 35 schools you can add more.

Putkernerinthehall

Jun 5, 2020
  1. Non-Student
I am in a similar boat. CA resident, Berkeley grad, 515 with low CARS (131/124/131/129) and relatively similar experiences. I have been doing a ton of research on school lists and will likely post a WAMC of my own to get an expert opinion. They say to apply to all state schools but we are in that weird in-between where its probably not worth it to apply to UCSD, UCLA, or UCSF (but I'm not sure).

Start with:
CUSM
CNU (questionable school maybe, at least so it seems)
UCI
UCD
USC
Kaiser
UCR If you are from inland empire/ do work with that community
Loma Linda (if you are with the lord and savior lol/ wouldn't mind being surrounded by that type of community)

outside of CA:
UVM
Rosy franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Uniformed services (as adcoms say on here, be aware of service commitment)
Places like U of A don't love OOS but I think they appreciate CA residents bc we are close

Low yield OOS, but a match with stats:
Jefferson
Temple
Tulane
Emory
Drexel
Tufts
Albert Einstein (sounds smart, must be good)
Wake Forest

Thats a start I guess
Thanks ABC. I agree, UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD are probably a waste of hard-earned money. I'm not too knowledgeable about CSUM and CNU. I think the Arizona schools are a long shot for CA residents. What's UVM ? I think Tulane and Tufts are looking for lots of service. Best of luck!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks. I suspected as much with Rush and the Catholic/Jesuit schools. Do you think I'd have a realistic chance at Tufts, Cincinnati, Dartmouth, and Colorado ? How about Emory, Rochester, Brown, Miami, or Va Tech ? I think I could stretch to 30.
You could add Tufts, Cincinnati, Colorado, Rochester and Miami.

AnythingButCARS

Sep 17, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks ABC. I agree, UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD are probably a waste of hard-earned money. I'm not too knowledgeable about CSUM and CNU. I think the Arizona schools are a long shot for CA residents. What's UVM ? I think Tulane and Tufts are looking for lots of service. Best of luck!

UVM is university of Vermont. Pretty OOS friendly and if you ski or snowboard its definitely not in a bad area.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.