MD & DO WAMC: Enough experience? Pseudo Non-Trad, 515 MCAT, 3.72 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holistic.minded

Reaction score
I'm mostly trying to gather if I'll have enough experience on my app to be competitive - should I pursue more clinical experience or volunteer experience? Italics are what I'm currently doing and will continue through the app cycle.

Academics
Double degree in Biology and Psychology
Graduated 2017
cGPA: 3.72 (3.5 > 3.6 > 3.78 > 3.89)
sGPA: 3.58 (3.2 > 3.3 > 3.66 > 3.88)

MCAT: 515 (CP 126, CP 128, BB 129, PS 132)

Shadowing:
- see scribing below, MD and DO
- 30 hours MD elsewhere
- 15 hours DO elsewhere

Clinical Experience:
- 2017: 80 hours in-patient children's psychiatric unit working directly with patients
- 2017: 6 months part-time as Medical Scribe in ED (~500 hours)
- 2020: Current position, weekly hospice volunteer visits (2-4 hours a week)

Research:
- 2016: Bench research, intern, minimal impact
- 2020: Current volunteer Clinical Research (~ 5 hours a week, 108 hours so far)
- 2021: Current paid part-time Clinical Research Assistant (~12 hours a week, starting in April)
- 2021: Currently helping with my first paper!

Volunteering:
- Various volunteering during college
- 2020: Current volunteer with organization for support elder adults, 2021 joined two committees for specific projects (~1-2 hours a week, 15 hours so far)

Paid Non-Clinical Work:
- 2018-2020: 2 years Full time technical sales and support for industrial microscopes (working with dev labs, medical device R&D, etc.)
- 2020: Current part-time remote sales position

Other:
- 2020: Currently enrolled in a community college Spanish course

College Activities 2013-2017:
- Summer long study abroad focusing on relationships between mediterranean immigration and health/culture/society
- Summer long internship in center for Autism and Neurodevelopment
- Peer facilitator in Immunology class
- Leadership role in Neurobiology club
- Several leadership roles in sorority
- Member in psychology honor society, leadership honor society, pre-med honor society
- Various types of fundraising volunteering

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Clinical experience and research wise you're strong. I would continue to work on the non-clinical volunteering. Otherwise you're pretty good to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Clinical experience and research wise you're strong. I would continue to work on the non-clinical volunteering. Otherwise you're pretty good to apply.
Okay thank you so much. Is hospice volunteering widely accepted as "clinical" experience? And would it be better to take on another volunteering activity or to just get more involved in the one that I'm doing?

EDIT: Also is hospice enough clinical experience considering the several year gap from my last clinical experience?

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thank you so much. Is hospice volunteering widely accepted as "clinical" experience? And would it be better to take on another volunteering activity or to just get more involved in the one that I'm doing?

EDIT: Also is hospice enough clinical experience considering the several year gap from my last clinical experience?

Hospice is definitely clinical and even though there is a gap from your scribing days, that still counts.

Reactions: 1 users