WAMC ex-NFL 3.8 GPA/3.7 sGPA 516 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1158685

Hey Everyone, I am an applicant looking to apply this cycle, but I have it's been a while since I have been in school and I just got my MCAT score back a few weeks ago. An advice on a school list would be greatly appreciated, as well as suggestions on how to improve!

Graduated in 2018, 3 years in the NFL as an offensive player, CA Resident. ORM.

cGPA - 3.8
sGPA - 3.7
MCAT - 516
Undergrad - Large state school

I have been working over the past couple years as a nurse assistant with around 500 hours now, as well as ~300 hours as a volunteer at a soup kitchen for my non-clinical volunteering. I have no research hours. I have shadowed a couple PCPs for around 50 hours.

I have 2 science LORs that are probably quite generic, 2 coaches and 1 English teacher (generic).

What schools would you recommend, and how should I improve my application? Will it be a concern that my undergrad was done quite a while ago, and would a post-bacc be recommended in my situation?

Also my name is not George Orwell lol, that's just my favorite author. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wondering, have you always lived in California? What state did you graduate from HS or does your family still live there, In case you might still argue for some connection to a different state from California? This may help me think about your purpose and mission fit.

I wouldn't be as concerned about undergrad being so long ago. You did very well on your MCAT so I think the issue would just be on your interest in Medicine. You could add more community service until you apply.

You do not need a post bacc. I suggest these schools with your stats:
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF
USC Keck
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Cincinnati
Ohio State
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Northwestern
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering, have you always lived in California? What state did you graduate from HS or does your family still live there, In case you might still argue for some connection to a different state from California? This may help me think about your purpose and mission fit.

I wouldn't be as concerned about undergrad being so long ago. You did very well on your MCAT so I think the issue would just be on your interest in Medicine. You could add more community service until you apply.
Thank you for the reply! I have always lived in Cali, graduated from high school as there as well. Definitely will nail some more community service, should I diversify my experience a bit?

Also, what do you think about my LORs, will it hurt? It has been a while since school haha, so I doubt that the professor recommendations will be all that impressive, they'll likely just being middle of the road recommendations.

Are the coaches well known...? Some people are star-struck when they see letters from people whose names they've heard on TV.

Some schools really love jocks. At least one of those schools is on the list provided to you.

I would lean more toward the non-research focused school (those that don't require a thesis for graduation) if you aren't a research-oriented person and if your desire for a career in medicine is to take care of patients rather than teaching/research/clinical care/advocacy that some of the top research schools are geared toward (i.e. producing leaders in academic medicine who will educate the next generation of physicians and be on the cutting edge of medical breakthroughs).

Reactions: 1 users
Are the coaches well known...? Some people are star-struck when they see letters from people whose names they've heard on TV.

Some schools really love jocks. At least one of those schools is on the list provided to you.

I would lean more toward the non-research focused school (those that don't require a thesis for graduation) if you aren't a research-oriented person and if your desire for a career in medicine is to take care of patients rather than teaching/research/clinical care/advocacy that some of the top research schools are geared toward (i.e. producing leaders in academic medicine who will educate the next generation of physicians and be on the cutting edge of medical breakthroughs).
Thank you for the reply! I'm going to guess UMich is into jocks haha!

One of the coaches is not, he was my positions coach, but the other was my head coach and is rather well known, especially if you follow football.

I will definitely take your advice and lean towards the non-research focused schools, thank you very much for the advice!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the reply! I have always lived in Cali, graduated from high school as there as well. Definitely will nail some more community service, should I diversify my experience a bit?

Also, what do you think about my LORs, will it hurt? It has been a while since school haha, so I doubt that the professor recommendations will be all that impressive, they'll likely just being middle of the road recommendations.
Some of the California programs are very focused on serving their local community (within the closest counties surrounding the campus). That's why the UCR note. The other schools like Davis also value people from their region. Take a look at how these schools offer community service opportunities for students.

Obviously your letters may be challenging. Check with the admissions professionals at the schools nearest to you for advice.