WAMC/Finalize List ( 4.0 cGPA, 510 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockettt

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA/sGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 510 (127/127/130/126)

State of residence: California

Race/ethnicity: White, Hispanic

Undergrad: public university in the midwest

Clinical Experience: Not sure if this counts, but I was a Health Advocate in my college dorm for 1 year (paid job); Handed out OTC medicine, referred to students to professionals, answered basic health questions, CPR/First Aid certified, lots of health promotion stuff. Also, I volunteered in a hospital for 1 year.

Research Experience: Volunteer research assistant (1 semester, 100+ hours). Paid research assistant (same lab, 2 semesters so far, 300+ hours), first author on paper that will soon be submitted for publication, 1 abstract (middle author) accepted. SURP this summer (~400 hours at conclusion of program)

Shadowing Experience: 100+ hours total. Spine surgeon, radiation oncologist, hand surgeon, orthopedic surgeon

Non-clinical Volunteering: ~100 hours total. Community misc., family science events, tutoring, shelter

Other: intramural soccer, 3 summers working at a kids camp, floor senator for my freshman dorm, dean's list, honor's student, many scholarships, selected to be a biochem TA this fall

Like I said, I'm a CA resident. Ideally, I would like to attend a UC, but I am open to anywhere and I really like my midwest undergrad. My top two schools are UCLA and UC Davis; what are my chances there? Also, below is a tentative list of schools I will apply to. Please help me round it out by suggesting additions/subtractions. I'm planning to send my application to ~20 schools.

UCLA
UC Davis
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
Indiana University
UNMC
St. Louis Univ.
Nevada SOM
Tufts
Univ. of Arizona, Tuscon
Ohio State
Drexel
Wake Forest
USC
OHSU (maybe)
Colorado

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, WAMC at Oregon and Colorado? I have heard they pretty much only take in-staters, but does it help that I'm from the west coast? These are on my list, but I'm not sure if they are realistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hispanic?.. as in Mexican-American?..or? Language skills?

lol @gyngyn...are we twins and even type in sync?

Reactions: 1 user
Which Hispanic community?
Language skills, commitment to service?

My father is Mexican. Language skills: intermediate Spanish (trying to improve to advanced/fluent)
Commitment to service? Like do I want to serve the Hispanic community? Yes, that is my plan and why I am improving my fluency.

My father is Mexican. Language skills: intermediate Spanish (trying to improve to advanced/fluent)
Commitment to service? Like do I want to serve the Hispanic community? Yes, that is my plan and why I am improving my fluency.
Have you validated this commitment? The CA schools, in particular are looking for this.
That said, odds of an interview are fair to good at schools you have listed except for U NM.

Have you validated this commitment?

The shelter that I volunteer at has a large population of Hispanics, but also other races/ethnicities. I have not had the chance yet to volunteer/work anywhere exclusively for Spanish-speakers. I personally know people who have had bad experiences with healthcare professionals due to a language barrier, so that is a huge motivator for me to improve my Spanish skills and help bridge that healthcare gap.

The shelter that I volunteer at has a large population of Hispanics, but also other races/ethnicities. I have not had the chance yet to volunteer/work anywhere exclusively for Spanish-speakers. I personally know people who have had bad experiences with healthcare professionals due to a language barrier, so that is a huge motivator for me to improve my Spanish skills and help bridge that healthcare gap.
You have a better chance at an interview at USC than Tufts (and a greater opportunity to serve the community that is giving you the boost)!

That said, odds of an interview are fair to good at schools you have listed except for U NM.

Thank you. Do you mind explaining why not at U NM?

You have a better chance at an interview at USC than Tufts (and a greater opportunity to serve the community that is giving you the boost)!

What about my MCAT (510) at USC (median: 515)? I was considering it before, but I'm not sure about my chances now that I have my MCAT score.

Thank you. Do you mind explaining why not at U NM?

What about my MCAT (510) at USC (median: 515)? I was considering it before, but I'm not sure about my chances now that I have my MCAT score.
Did you check the OOS matriculation at UNM?
What is the 10th percentile at USC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you check the OOS matriculation at UNM?
What is the 10th percentile at USC?

Ok, I see that now. I should have checked OOS matriculation earlier. Thank you.

10th percentile at USC is 508. So that would make it a realistic school to apply to?

Does anyone know about Oregon (OHSU) or Colorado? Someone told me that they select primarily from in-state students, but I'm not sure if that is true. Since their OOS matriculations are 28% and 27%, respectively, would these be realistic schools?

Does anyone know about Oregon (OHSU) or Colorado? Someone told me that they select primarily from in-state students, but I'm not sure if that is true. Since their OOS matriculations are 28% and 27%, respectively, would these be realistic schools?
They often use OOS acceptance to add diversity to the class.
OHSU has an MCAT minimum, though.

They often use OOS acceptance to add diversity to the class.
OHSU has an MCAT minimum, though.

An OOS minimum, or a general minimum? It looks like their median MCAT is 510 (which is what I scored).

If I were to add ~5 schools to my list, which would you suggest I add?
(aside from USC - I already added that one!)

@gyngyn thank you so much for all your help on this! You've been amazing.

Have you validated this commitment? The CA schools, in particular are looking for this.

Follow up question: would any part of the interview be in Spanish if I mention that I want to serve the Hispanic community? I'll definitely be prepared, but I'm just curious about how often this occurs.

Follow up question: would any part of the interview be in Spanish if I mention that I want to serve the Hispanic community? I'll definitely be prepared, but I'm just curious about how often this occurs.
It does happen spontaneously on some occasions.
A more likely situation would be an interview with a Mexican American student (in English). This is where applicants of mixed heritage need to have come to grips with the ambiguity of ethnic identity. Some are amazing, others are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to chime in as I'm Mexican, fluent Spanish speaker. I definitely mentioned it on my app and in two different instances I spoke Spanish with my interviewers. Just be prepared!

EDIT: 1 of those schools was UCLA!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to chime in as I'm Mexican, fluent Spanish speaker. I definitely mentioned it on my app and in two different instances I spoke Spanish with my interviewers. Just be prepared!

EDIT: 1 of those schools was UCLA!

Thank you for that insight! If you don't mind me asking, was it for the whole interview or for part of it?

Thank you for that insight! If you don't mind me asking, was it for the whole interview or for part of it?
Basically do not put down you are 100% fluent unless you are...you just might get called on it. You can claim a slightly lower level of fluency and you will be fine.

@Toutie is absolutely correct. the conversation was a couple minutes at most but he was definitely feeling me out, asking where my parents were from, if I grew up speaking Spanish, questions about my experience as a Hispanic growing up in the Midwest, etc.

Reactions: 1 users