WAMC for an SMP, and med school after that?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gunnersfan10

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a senior who's graduating in May and currently applying to SMPs, just wanted some input on what my chances are and future outlook

Asian male
Senior year
University Honors Program
Finance, Pre-med
cGPA: 3.29. I can raise this to a 3.35 by getting a 4.0 in my final semester, which I am confident in doing since they're just some finance electives to finish up my degree. If I retook the two science classes I got Cs in and get As, I can raise my cGPA to a 3.39. The rest of my grades are As and Bs.
sGPA: 2.777, which I can raise to a 2.895 by retaking the two courses mentioned above.
MCAT: took once, scored 500. Planning on retaking after studying better, I didn't have really good study habits while studying for the first one, but I was scoring 509-510 on the practice tests, guess the test day nerves got to me and I screwed up the actual exam.

Medicine related ECs:
-EMT: haven't done a lot of work yet, but maybe ~100 hours of patient exposure in the field
-Shadowing: Over 100 hours in multiple specialities (including ~50 hours in a developing country)
-Research: Worked as an assistant in two different labs. One lab during a summer, and another lab for one semester. No publications.
-Student Health Advisory Board: basically analyzed health data and survey results for the entire student population and put together campaigns to help educate students about health issues.
-Volunteer chair for pre-med society: coordinated community service events for the society by getting in touch with hospitals or other organizations that needed help.
-Community service: Volunteering at the local hospital ~40 hours

Non-medicine related ECs:
-avid soccer player
-volunteered for three years at the school's annual community service event, which goes around town and does things to improve the community such as yard cleanups, painting, etc. will do the 4th year as well. (~20 hours total)
-Resident Assistant in the dorms for two years
-Manager for a competitive team at the school ( 1 year). We travelled across the nation for competitions. In retrospect, may have hurt my grades a little.

LOR:
1 from professor at school
Can get multiple from the physicians I've shadowed
1-2 from supervisors at work

SMPs I'm applying to:
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Vanderbilt
Boston University
Tufts
Georgetown
Loyola MAMS and MSMP
Temple

Future outlook:
-get a 3.8-4.0 in the SMP
-Retake MCAT next year, get above 90th percentile
-Get a solid research experience with publication
-more volunteering experience
-get more work experience as an EMT
-I want to retake those three science courses I got a C in, but I'm just not sure how I will fit that into my schedule if I plan on starting my SMP in the fall.

Any opinions on my chances of getting into one of the SMPs listed above? And more importantly, any advice on additional steps I need to take to get a MD acceptance? I'm not making excuses, but I know the reason why I struggled with grades during undergrad and it has to do with the fact that I've been struggling with depression and possibly ADHD. Unfortunately my family didn't really take it seriously and I can't afford to go out and get help by myself, so I've sorta been stuck with it. Be that as it may, I still take full responsibility for my below average performance, and I've committed to turning it around during my SMP. I've had a general upward trend in my grades since junior year started (3.88 junior year GPA). I'm confident I can do well in an SMP, if I can get into one. Just looking for some honest advice and constructive criticism from people who may have more experience/knowledge.

I've never posted on here, so bear with me if this is in the wrong forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey I'm a senior who's graduating in May and currently applying to SMPs, just wanted some input on what my chances are and future outlook

Asian male
Senior year
University Honors Program
Finance, Pre-med
cGPA: 3.29. I can raise this to a 3.35 by getting a 4.0 in my final semester, which I am confident in doing since they're just some finance electives to finish up my degree. If I retook the two science classes I got Cs in and get As, I can raise my cGPA to a 3.39. The rest of my grades are As and Bs.
sGPA: 2.777, which I can raise to a 2.895 by retaking the two courses mentioned above.
MCAT: took once, scored 500. Planning on retaking after studying better, I didn't have really good study habits while studying for the first one, but I was scoring 509-510 on the practice tests, guess the test day nerves got to me and I screwed up the actual exam.

Medicine related ECs:
-EMT: haven't done a lot of work yet, but maybe ~100 hours of patient exposure in the field
-Shadowing: Over 100 hours in multiple specialities (including ~50 hours in a developing country)
-Research: Worked as an assistant in two different labs. One lab during a summer, and another lab for one semester. No publications.
-Student Health Advisory Board: basically analyzed health data and survey results for the entire student population and put together campaigns to help educate students about health issues.
-Volunteer chair for pre-med society: coordinated community service events for the society by getting in touch with hospitals or other organizations that needed help.
-Community service: Volunteering at the local hospital ~40 hours

Non-medicine related ECs:
-avid soccer player
-volunteered for three years at the school's annual community service event, which goes around town and does things to improve the community such as yard cleanups, painting, etc. will do the 4th year as well. (~20 hours total)
-Resident Assistant in the dorms for two years
-Manager for a competitive team at the school ( 1 year). We travelled across the nation for competitions. In retrospect, may have hurt my grades a little.

LOR:
1 from professor at school
Can get multiple from the physicians I've shadowed
1-2 from supervisors at work

SMPs I'm applying to:
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Vanderbilt
Boston University
Tufts
Georgetown
Loyola MAMS and MSMP
Temple

Future outlook:
-get a 3.8-4.0 in the SMP
-Retake MCAT next year, get above 90th percentile
-Get a solid research experience with publication
-more volunteering experience
-get more work experience as an EMT
-I want to retake those three science courses I got a C in, but I'm just not sure how I will fit that into my schedule if I plan on starting my SMP in the fall.

Any opinions on my chances of getting into one of the SMPs listed above? And more importantly, any advice on additional steps I need to take to get a MD acceptance? I'm not making excuses, but I know the reason why I struggled with grades during undergrad and it has to do with the fact that I've been struggling with depression and possibly ADHD. Unfortunately my family didn't really take it seriously and I can't afford to go out and get help by myself, so I've sorta been stuck with it. Be that as it may, I still take full responsibility for my below average performance, and I've committed to turning it around during my SMP. I've had a general upward trend in my grades since junior year started (3.88 junior year GPA). I'm confident I can do well in an SMP, if I can get into one. Just looking for some honest advice and constructive criticism from people who may have more experience/knowledge.

I've never posted on here, so bear with me if this is in the wrong forum.
Work on fixing your test taking anxiety issues or you'll never make it out of the SMP
Ace the SMP and MCAT
As a reinventor, beggars can't be choosy, so you need to have DO schools on your school list as well.
Get off campus and out of your comfort zone; engage in service to those less fortunate than yourself.

Work on fixing your test taking anxiety issues or you'll never make it out of the SMP
Ace the SMP and MCAT
As a reinventor, beggars can't be choosy, so you need to have DO schools on your school list as well.
Get off campus and out of your comfort zone; engage in service to those less fortunate than yourself.
What would you say about my chances at getting into one of those SMPs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a headsup, I think the UCincinnati SMP is one of the best out there in terms of results, cost (both COL and Tuition).
If you are planning on applying to Temple ACHS, I think you've got a good shot, but make sure to do your research because that program has some conditions for its linkages.
Temple ACMS is likely our of your range with your sGPA and MCAT.
I think taking a year off would be good for you. Doing more volunteer work or focusing on your EMT stuff. You are in a marathon position now for med school so take your time.
I don't know how many schools screen for GPAs below 3.0, but premeddit seems to think a fair amount do, so in order to maximize your chances, you might wanna take some extra science classes to boost up your sGPA.

You're getting way too ahead of yourself. Start targeting the DO route or come back when you get that 510+.