MD & DO WAMC for low-stat CA res

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PancakeBatter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm looking for advice on building my school list. Since my MCAT is low, most of my school research has been around DOs; I'm not sure if I should apply to MDs? I know it'll be tough as an applicant coming from California, and I'm not too sure where to go from here.
  • GPA: cGPA: 3.72, sGPA: 3.53
  • MCAT: 504 (126/126/126/126)
  • State of residence: California
  • Clinical:
    • Volunteer: 450 hrs
    • Non-volunteer: I'll be working full-time as a medical assistant during my gap year so technically 0 at of time of posting
  • Research: Research assistant in molecular biology lab: 280 hrs
  • Shadowing: 240 hrs neurosurgery
  • ECs:
    • Red Cross Volunteer: 480 hrs
    • Tutoring: 120 hrs
    • Leadership: 350 hrs (served as director of an academic-community service org)
    • Gap year: hrs pending as medical assistant
    • Athletics: indoor bouldering 150 hrs

School list:
DO:

• Touro-CA
  • ATSU (both locations)
  • AZCOM
  • CUSOM
  • DMU
  • MUCOM
  • LECOM (both locations)
  • PCOM
  • TUNCOM
  • PNWU
  • UIWSOM
Please let me know if there's anything I should add or clarify, and I appreciate your time and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add these schools:
KCU-COM
Touro-NY
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add these schools:
KCU-COM
Touro-NY
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
Thank you so much for your input @Faha ! Is it worth applying to any MDs like Beaumont? Regardless, I'm looking forward to applying to these schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your input @Faha ! Is it worth applying to any MDs like Beaumont? Regardless, I'm looking forward to applying to these schools
You could try some MD schools such as:
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

You could try some MD schools such as:
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you again @Faha ! I really appreciate your time

Thank you again @Faha ! I really appreciate your time
Just FYI I had near-identical stats as a California resident and got no MD and applied to a lot of the MDs on the list above. Your best bet is DO but shoot your shot if you want to.

Just FYI I had near-identical stats as a California resident and got no MD and applied to a lot of the MDs on the list above. Your best bet is DO but shoot your shot if you want to.
Thank you for sharing your experiences @drstranger ! As much as I want to be optimistic, I think it's more important to be realistic when applying. I'll keep that in mind while applying and will be focusing on primarily a DO-based cycle