WAMC for MD Schools/School List Help. 513 MCAT 3.88 cGPA 3.91 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinjames0

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have already submitted my application a few hours ago, but I still need to figure out what schools I should apply to this cycle. Please help me devise an appropriate school list! Thank you for all your help in advance.
  1. cGPA of 3.88 and sGPA of 3.91
  2. MCAT score of 513 (131 CHEM, 125 CARS, 127 BIO, 130 PSYCH)
    1. taking PREview in June but don't plan on taking CASPER.
  3. My state of residence is California. I and currently a permanent resident will most likely become a US citizen at the end of June 2022.
  4. I am Korean
  5. I went to a T10 undergraduate institution and graduated in December 2020 with B.S. in psychology and neuroscience.
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 1600 hours of ophthalmic MA (primarily back office) + 1800 more hours projected
    2. 30 hours of hospice volunteering + 200 more hours projected
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 300 hours of clinical research (dry lab) undergrad research
      1. one publication on sleep medicine/first author
    2. 640 hours of physiology research (wet lab) internship during the 2017 and 2018 summers.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 40 hours of psychiatry shadowing
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 50 hours of homeless kitchen volunteer + 520 more hours projected
    2. 300 hours of school volunteer club 1 slightly longer than 2 years
    3. 120 hours of school volunteer club 2 slightly longer than 1 year
    4. 120 hours of school volunteer club 3 slightly longer than 1 year
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 200 hours of FWS student employment as a lifeguard + front desk & equipment room staff at college rec center
    2. 150 hours of paid tutoring at Mathnasium
    3. 150 hours of FWS paid tutoring via school club
    4. 30 hours of SAT Subject Test Chemistry tutoring
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. None other than Dean's List and General Honors
  12. Hobbies
    1. 13600 hours of reading Korean novels since 2009 + 800 more hours projected. I attribute my proficiency in Korean and English to this hobby.
My School List
In-state

California Northstate (I've heard some concerning rumors about this school, so I might change this with Loma Linda)
California University
All UCs (I live like 30-40 min away from Riverside, but I don't really know how exclusive UC Riverside is)
Kaiser
Keck USC
Stanford (yes... I know)

Out-of-state
Albany
Central Michigan
Duke
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Geisel School at Dartmouth
Georgetown
Hackensack
NSU Dr. Kiran Patel College
Oakland University
Sidney Kimmel
Tulane
Wright

Again, thank you for your help.
Oakland University is the only AMCAS school on your current list that requires the PREview. If you leave that one off, you won't have to take it.
Tulane is the only school on your current list that requires CASPer.

Depending on which schools you add later, you might or might not need to take the CASPer exam.

Remove California Northstate due to accreditation issues. Stanford is unrealistic. Wright and Central Michigan admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oakland University is the only AMCAS school on your current list that requires the PREview. If you leave that one off, you won't have to take it.
Tulane is the only school on your current list that requires CASPer.

Depending on which schools you add later, you might or might not need to take the CASPer exam.
Thank you for your reply. I don't see Tulane requiring CASPER on MSAR. Where can I find that Tulane requires CASPER?

Remove California Northstate due to accreditation issues. Stanford is unrealistic. Wright and Central Michigan admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Creighton
Thank you for your reply! What's your opinion about me adding these OOS schools to my list?

Geisinger Commonwealth
University of Minnesota
Jacobs School Buffalo
West Virginia
Florida International University
Marnix E. Heersink
University of Missouri-Columbia
Michigan State
Tufts

Would you be able to tell me what are some OOS schools that admit a decent number of non-residents?

Thank you for your reply. I don't see Tulane requiring CASPER on MSAR. Where can I find that Tulane requires CASPER?
I saw it here: CASPer Test

It also appears on Altus website under Allopathic Medicine schools.
But you're right, it doesn't appear on Tulane's MSAR information page. Maybe an error of omission on their part.

Thank you for your reply! What's your opinion about me adding these OOS schools to my list?

Geisinger Commonwealth
University of Minnesota
Jacobs School Buffalo
West Virginia
Florida International University
Marnix E. Heersink
University of Missouri-Columbia
Michigan State
Tufts

Would you be able to tell me what are some OOS schools that admit a decent number of non-residents?
I listed the OOS friendly schools above (including Tufts). the schools you listed admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could try Florida International.

I listed the OOS friendly schools above (including Tufts). the schools you listed admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could try Florida International.
Thank you for your reply! Lastly, what are my chances at Rosalind Franklin and Einstein?

TCU-UNT
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Creighton

Not OP, but why are they uncompetitive for Stanford? Because of their MCAT? Or is there some massive hole in their application that I am not seeing?

Not OP, but why are they uncompetitive for Stanford? Because of their MCAT? Or is there some massive hole in their application that I am not seeing?
MCAT of 513 is not competitive for Stanford. MSAR shows a 10th percentile of 514, which is only 9 students less than 514.

Members don't see this ad :)
13600 hours of reading Korean novels since 2009 + 800 more hours projected. I attribute my proficiency in Korean and English to this hobby.
You can add this or talk about it in interviews because it seems interesting, but I would avoid reporting hours for a hobby. Seems a bit off tbh

Reactions: 1 users
You can add this or talk about it in interviews because it seems interesting, but I would avoid reporting hours for a hobby. Seems a bit off tbh
Thank you for your advice ! Regrettably, I already submitted mine and it is verified so I won’t be able to change anything, but I hope that Adcoms won’t pay too much attention to hobby hours if it is conventional to leave it out for hobbies. But there is no exaggeration in the hours if it’s a question of honesty.

MCAT of 513 is not competitive for Stanford. MSAR shows a 10th percentile of 514, which is only 9 students less than 514.

Ah ok, that’s what I was thinking. And not to be disrespectful to the OP, but if they had the required MCAT score would they then be competitive?

I know you have submitted but there are a few concerning things in your application. I am mentioning this so in case you have to reapply you will have fixed these issues.

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer
1.1600 hours of ophthalmic MA (primarily back office) + 1800 more hours projected. .

1600 hours of mainly back office work in an ophthalmic office isn’t impressive. 1800 more isn’t either

Hospice volunteering is a good focus but 30 hours isn’t impressive. Hopefully you will continue to build these hours and get many more hours

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
This is fine but find a primary care doc to shadow.

1. Non-clinical volunteering
Non clinical volunteering is to be focused on the unserved/underserved in your community. You have to get off campus and out of your comfort zone. The work in the homeless shelter is good but you have to increase it by 200 hours. Your on campus clubs I have no idea about because you give us NO idea of what kind of clubs you belonged to or what the focus was or what you did .

I will also,say, projected hours mean almost nothing, Projected hours are exactly that PROJECTED. They might get done but they might not. You have 1000s of projected hours and very few actual completed hours. We all have great intentions but life frequently intervenes and plans change.

Again, these are just thoughts on what you can be working on over this cycle to tweak your application in case you have to reapply.
It is well known around SDN that you need to keep working on your application because until you have an official A, you are rejected.
Good luck

I know you have submitted but there are a few concerning things in your application. I am mentioning this so in case you have to reapply you will have fixed these issues.

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer
1.1600 hours of ophthalmic MA (primarily back office) + 1800 more hours projected. .

1600 hours of mainly back office work in an ophthalmic office isn’t impressive. 1800 more isn’t either

Hospice volunteering is a good focus but 30 hours isn’t impressive. Hopefully you will continue to build these hours and get many more hours

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
This is fine but find a primary care doc to shadow.

1. Non-clinical volunteering
Non clinical volunteering is to be focused on the unserved/underserved in your community. You have to get off campus and out of your comfort zone. The work in the homeless shelter is good but you have to increase it by 200 hours. Your on campus clubs I have no idea about because you give us NO idea of what kind of clubs you belonged to or what the focus was or what you did .

I will also,say, projected hours mean almost nothing, Projected hours are exactly that PROJECTED. They might get done but they might not. You have 1000s of projected hours and very few actual completed hours. We all have great intentions but life frequently intervenes and plans change.

Again, these are just thoughts on what you can be working on over this cycle to tweak your application in case you have to reapply.
It is well known around SDN that you need to keep working on your application because until you have an official A, you are rejected.
Good luck
Thank you for taking your time to give me your feedbacks. I will keep your them in mind should I reapply.

That being said, I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on one of your feedbacks: what exactly is not impressive about working as an ophthalmic medical assistant?

That being said, I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on one of your feedbacks: what exactly is not impressive about working as an ophthalmic medical assistant
It's the 'primarily back office' that makes it less impressive.

It's the 'primarily back office' that makes it less impressive.
That’s undeceiving. I was under the impression that medical schools valued patient interaction. I get more direct patient interactions in the back office since I screen patients, perform diagnostic testings, help explain procedures and assist with in office procedures + scribe for the physician. I did however mention that staff shortage during the pandemic made me become proficient in front office duties including calling patients and insurance companies and scheduling appointments, etc…. Will that help?

Back office generally means clerical or administrative work instead of patient care.

Back office generally means clerical or administrative work instead of patient care.
At an ophthalmologist's office the front desk is receptionists & paperwork, back office and techs do a lot of direct patient contact, history, preliminary refractions, give instructions for visual field exams, etc.
I think this job does have a lot of patient contact.

At an ophthalmologist's office the front desk is receptionists & paperwork, back office and techs do a lot of direct patient contact, history, preliminary refractions, give instructions for visual field exams, etc.
I think this job does have a lot of patient contact.
Thank you so much for clarifying. I was very confused because I didn’t know back office medical assistants at other places generally had administrative duties. I thought it was something inherently less valuable about the specialty.

Thank you for taking your time to give me your feedbacks. I will keep your them in mind should I reapply.

That being said, I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on one of your feedbacks: what exactly is not impressive about working as an ophthalmic medical assistant?
From your own description it was/is “ mainly back office work”. Sounds like you are doing mainly filing, insurance etc. Also clinical experience should be face to face with sick and injured. I visit my ophthalmologist every six months and I’m not sick. That’s why hospice is good on so many levels .

Hopefully you do not have to, but for a reapplication, do change your hours for the hobby as vox mentioned. 13600 hours over 12 years is 1100+ hours a year. That is about 20 hours a week throughout school and college.

Hopefully you do not have to, but for a reapplication, do change your hours for the hobby as vox mentioned. 13600 hours over 12 years is 1100+ hours a year. That is about 20 hours a week throughout school and college.
20 hrs/week sounds very unreal, I can see that. I didn’t read 20hours a week in college (more like 10-15hours a week). But I did read up to 40hours a week when I was younger. I hope adcoms don’t see my hobby as a 20 hrs/week job that I had from grade 5 - first gap year. I guess the best way to put it is this: other kids loved watching Minecraft on Youtube, and my younger self just loved reading Korean novels. But that being said, I understand where you are coming from. I will fix this on reapp.

Lastly, since it is slightly discouraging 🥲 to have to think about reapp when aamc didn’t even send out my primary app to schools, do you have any words of encouragement or wisdom to help me and others in similar situations stay strong throughout the process?

Thank you for your feedback !

20 hrs/week sounds very unreal, I can see that. I didn’t read 20hours a week in college (more like 10-15hours a week). But I did read up to 40hours a week when I was younger. I hope adcoms don’t see my hobby as a 20 hrs/week job that I had from grade 5 - first gap year. I guess the best way to put it is this: other kids loved watching Minecraft on Youtube, and my younger self just loved reading Korean novels. But that being said, I understand where you are coming from. I will fix this on reapp.

Lastly, since it is slightly discouraging 🥲 to have to think about reapp when aamc didn’t even send out my primary app to schools, do you have any words of encouragement or wisdom to help me and others in similar situations stay strong throughout the process?

I also think that it will be totally fine. It won’t cause a reapp or anything, I just wanted to let you know in case you hadn’t submitted. It won’t even be noticed in all honestly

• Love
I also think that it will be totally fine. It won’t cause a reapp or anything, I just wanted to let you know in case you hadn’t submitted. It won’t even be noticed in all honestly
I understand ! Thank you for your feedback and encouragement !

Faha provided a good school list that should lead to some interviews. UCR is really for IE residents, so even if you are in a neighboring county, it likely is not worth the fee. CUSM does not have as specific of a focus on where their students are from.

• Love
Faha provided a good school list that should lead to some interviews. UCR is really for IE residents, so even if you are in a neighboring county, it likely is not worth the fee. CUSM does not have as specific of a focus on where their students are from.
That’s a relief ! Thank you !

Status
Not open for further replies.