WAMC for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted880375

complete

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1586574136891.png
    1586574136891.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my word. Are you aware that public schools receive funding to accept their own IS students? That being said,
Remove:
Cal Northstate
CUSM
CMU
Cooper Rowan
FSU
Eastern Tennessee
Howard - Historically Black College
Loma Linda - unless you are devoutly Christian
Both LSUs
Marshall
Meharry
Mercer
Morehouse - HBC
Michigan State
NE Ohio
S Illinois
UAB
Arizona-Tucson
Arkansas
Kansas
Mississippi
Missouri-Columbia
Nebraska
UNR
UNLV
New Mexico
North Dakota
S Alabama
South Carolina (both)
South Dakota
WVU
Washington State
FAU
FIU
Carle Illinois
Indiana
Buffalo
MUSC
Kaiser
Oregon
Utah
Washington
Tennessee

Jeez, man. Did you research these schools? Some of them haven’t ever accepted an OOS applicant, and most of them have huuge biases against them because of their state funding. It seems like you just pulled the schools with the lowest stats on MSAR and decided to add them to your list.

I see you calculated your WARS score. Did you consider the suggested schools when you made this list?

I suggest:
All Texas schools (although you are not very competitive for UTSW or Baylor with your MCAT history—big red flag).
Vermont
Rush
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Drexel
Temple
Creighton
Geisinger
NYMC
Albany MC
Toledo
MCW
Wayne State
VCU
EVMS
Any DO school that appeals to you.

However, I would focus the majority of your time on your state MD schools and any DO program. Your MCAT history will eliminate you from the vast majority of OOS MD schools. I suggest applying to 15-20 MD programs (including your IS Texas schools) and 10-15 DO schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Oh my word. Are you aware that public schools receive funding to accept their own IS students? That being said,
Remove:
Cal Northstate
CUSM
CMU
Cooper Rowan
FSU
Eastern Tennessee
Howard - Historically Black College
Loma Linda - unless you are devoutly Christian
Both LSUs
Marshall
Meharry
Mercer
Morehouse - HBC
Michigan State
NE Ohio
S Illinois
UAB
Arizona-Tucson
Arkansas
Kansas
Mississippi
Missouri-Columbia
Nebraska
UNR
UNLV
New Mexico
North Dakota
S Alabama
South Carolina (both)
South Dakota
WVU
Washington State
FAU
FIU
Carle Illinois
Indiana
Buffalo
MUSC
Kaiser
Oregon
Utah
Washington
Tennessee

Jeez, man. Did you research these schools? Some of them haven’t ever accepted an OOS applicant, and most of them have huuge biases against them because of their state funding. It seems like you just pulled the schools with the lowest stats on MSAR and decided to add them to your list.

I see you calculated your WARS score. Did you consider the suggested schools when you made this list?

I suggest:
All Texas schools (although you are not very competitive for UTSW or Baylor with your MCAT history—big red flag).
Vermont
Rush
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Drexel
Temple
Creighton
Geisinger
NYMC
Albany MC
Toledo
MCW
Wayne State
VCU
EVMS
Any DO school that appeals to you.

However, I would focus the majority of your time on your state MD schools and any DO program. Your MCAT history will eliminate you from the vast majority of OOS MD schools. I suggest applying to 15-20 MD programs (including your IS Texas schools) and 10-15 DO schools.

Thank you for the response!

The list I posted was actually a little outdated now that I look at it and yes I am aware that state schools receive state funding and accept majority IS kids. I have already removed FSU, Marshall, U of Nevada Schools, and others. I was looking at OOS interview rates for all the state schools and any school above 2% and that aligned with stats I was pretty much including to my list. Is that not the way to go?

Also, do you know how the majority of schools view multiple MCAT scores and how multiple MCAt scores should be factored in when selecting schools on the WARS list?

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Please update your list appropriately, noting which schools interviewed you and gave decisions. It's not clear how many times you have been an applicant, and your activities inventory is absent. You need to follow the template for a comprehensive analysis. I don't think we want to waste time if you already narrowed your list from what you provided.

That said, as a Texas applicant whose three MCAT scores have effectively baked you in as a 508-range applicant, you need to apply to DO schools and not apply to so many OOS schools. You aren't a superstar that many private MD schools could take a flyer on you (though I am sure a few will if you have a lot of volunteer service hours) as a Texas OOS applicant. The activities inventory is needed to tease out which MD schools could take a chance at your application.

Please update your list appropriately, noting which schools interviewed you and gave decisions. It's not clear how many times you have been an applicant, and your activities inventory is absent. You need to follow the template for a comprehensive analysis. I don't think we want to waste time if you already narrowed your list from what you provided.

That said, as a Texas applicant whose three MCAT scores have effectively baked you in as a 508-range applicant, you need to apply to DO schools and not apply to so many OOS schools. You aren't a superstar that many private MD schools could take a flyer on you (though I am sure a few will if you have a lot of volunteer service hours) as a Texas OOS applicant. The activities inventory is needed to tease out which MD schools could take a chance at your application.

Hello, I am sorry I am new to this and was not familiar with formatting. I have created a brand new thread (in hopes it will get more exposure) that is properly formatted. Please let me know any additional thoughts. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

Thank you for the response!

The list I posted was actually a little outdated now that I look at it and yes I am aware that state schools receive state funding and accept majority IS kids. I have already removed FSU, Marshall, U of Nevada Schools, and others. I was looking at OOS interview rates for all the state schools and any school above 2% and that aligned with stats I was pretty much including to my list. Is that not the way to go?

Also, do you know how the majority of schools view multiple MCAT scores and how multiple MCAt scores should be factored in when selecting schools on the WARS list?

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!
No it is not the way to make a list. You need to verify that they actually consider OOS applicants who don’t have ties to the state. For example, U New Mexico accepts OOS applicants on a “case-by-case” basis for those who have “strong ties to the state.” They interviewed 31 OOS applicants, and the chances are that each one of them had ties. South Dakota says they consider “Non-residents with strong ties to SD, or those who will have completed 90 credits at a SD college/university...will be considered for interviews.” MUSC says, “Out-of-State applicants must demonstrate strong Close Ties to South Carolina for interview eligibility.” University of Mississippi interviewed ZERO OOS applicants because they explicitly state that they do not accept applications from OOS.

I’ll also add that a 2% chance at an interview is terrible. You’ll notice that many of the schools we suggested say they accept all OOS applications, and their interview rates are well above 2% for them. You also need to consider how many spots you are fighting over. For example, the university of Utah only has 10 spots for true OOS applicants, and they require the rest to have strong ties. California Northstate only matriculated 9 OOS applicants despite receiving ~1500 OOS apps. Same with the LSU’s.

Being a Texas applicant doesn’t make any of this easier. You will be seen as an unlikely candidate because you are much more likely to matriculate at a Texas school since there are so many of them, and they are so cheap. That is why Mr. Smile and I say to focus on your IS MDs and your DOs. You may add a few OOS schools, but make sure that they will actually give you a good chance!

Your MCAT scores demonstrate some poor decision-making. People on here say not to retake the MCAT until you are sure you can score 10+ points higher based on your FLE scores. It shows you studied for it multiple times and really did not improve. It also solidified you as a below-the-median candidate at the majority of your schools. If public schools are going to take an OOS applicant, they are usually much stronger than their median. For example, the accepted OOS applicants to Nebraska had a median MCAT of a 513–despite their overall median being a 511.

Reactions: 1 user
No it is not the way to make a list. You need to verify that they actually consider OOS applicants who don’t have ties to the state. For example, U New Mexico accepts OOS applicants on a “case-by-case” basis for those who have “strong ties to the state.” They interviewed 31 OOS applicants, and the chances are that each one of them had ties. South Dakota says they consider “Non-residents with strong ties to SD, or those who will have completed 90 credits at a SD college/university...will be considered for interviews.” MUSC says, “Out-of-State applicants must demonstrate strong Close Ties to South Carolina for interview eligibility.” University of Mississippi interviewed ZERO OOS applicants because they explicitly state that they do not accept applications from OOS.

I’ll also add that a 2% chance at an interview is terrible. You’ll notice that many of the schools we suggested say they accept all OOS applications, and their interview rates are well above 2% for them. You also need to consider how many spots you are fighting over. For example, the university of Utah only has 10 spots for true OOS applicants, and they require the rest to have strong ties. California Northstate only matriculated 9 OOS applicants despite receiving ~1500 OOS apps. Same with the LSU’s.

Being a Texas applicant doesn’t make any of this easier. You will be seen as an unlikely candidate because you are much more likely to matriculate at a Texas school since there are so many of them, and they are so cheap. That is why Mr. Smile and I say to focus on your IS MDs and your DOs. You may add a few OOS schools, but make sure that they will actually give you a good chance!

Your MCAT scores demonstrate some poor decision-making. People on here say not to retake the MCAT until you are sure you can score 10+ points higher based on your FLE scores. It shows you studied for it multiple times and really did not improve. It also solidified you as a below-the-median candidate at the majority of your schools. If public schools are going to take an OOS applicant, they are usually much stronger than their median. For example, the accepted OOS applicants to Nebraska had a median MCAT of a 513–despite their overall median being a 511.

I have created a new thread (completely reformatted) in hopes my situation will get more helpful responses like yours. Please feel free to check it out.
Thanks for the advice on choosing schools, my strategy was just to throw my application at as many schools as possible even if they had icneidbly low OOS interview rates. I was not too aware of the "close ties" criteria many schools have for OOS applicants.

I honestly do not know what went wrong with my MCATs. I was scoring above 95th percentile on practice exams, but on test day I just could not bring everything together. Some people have said its test anxiety.

Reactions: 1 user