WAMC for my own state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPenguinsGo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ohio (Cincinnati) resident, 3.4 GPA (cumulative and science are both 3.4). Took the MCAT two years ago on Aug 31 2018 and got a 503 (128/123/125/127) but retook it for the only time this past July 7 for a 516 (128/128/132/128). I am hoping medical schools will look kindly on the dramatic score increase.

Physician shadowing: 50 hours (Pediatrics, Internal Medicine [Hospitalist], Neonatology, Cardiology, and Orthopedic Surgery)

Clinical Volunteering: 35 hours (Emergency room, nuclear medicine), trying to get this one up by volunteering in Northern Kentucky

Research: 1 year, will be doing my pharmacology master's thesis this year in the same lab so if I were to matriculate it'd be two years + thesis at time of matriculation. If it matters, my research is done in a lab at University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and I know a few of the people on the admission committee here pretty well and they know me just as well.

Community volunteer: Working on it, will most likely be at a homeless shelter but 0 hours as of right now

Leadership: Supplemental Instruction Leader for General Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry II for 1 year (200 hours). I was also the head SI Leader for the Chemistry department for my university during this time, which meant I was responsible for mentoring new SI Leaders my second semester in.

My schools I'm interested in are:

-Ohio State (I'm thinking reach but hopefully not impossible with my new MCAT)
-Cincinnati (also probably reach but hopefully not impossible with my new MCAT)
-Toledo
-Wright State
-Ohio University (DO)

I was also hoping someone could tell me if these nearby but out-of-state schools are within reach:

-Louisville (I'm directing my volunteering to Northern Kentucky so I can say I have some ties to the state)
-Kentucky (same story as above)
- Indiana University (entire father's side is born and raised in Indiana and I spent lots of my childhood at my grandparents house which was in southern Indiana)

Members don't see this ad.

When are you applying? Your ECs are really weak! Your shadowing is fine but your clinical experiences and non clinical volunteering are either low or nonexistent. You need at least 200 hours with each of those areas! I’m not sure that volunteering in Northern Kentucky will allow you to be considered as having ties to Kentucky. But who knows. You need more than five schools on your list. I think there is a DO school in Indiana and Kentucky so look at those schools. Nice job on your MCAT retake. Congratulations!

When are you applying? Your ECs are really weak! Your shadowing is fine but your clinical experiences and non clinical volunteering are either low or nonexistent. You need at least 200 hours with each of those areas! I’m not sure that volunteering in Northern Kentucky will allow you to be considered as having ties to Kentucky. But who knows. You need more than five schools on your list. I think there is a DO school in Indiana and Kentucky so look at those schools. Nice job on your MCAT retake. Congratulations!
I can get my clinical exposure to 250 hours by late August! This morning I found out a local hospital can have me as a volunteer for roughly 20 hrs per week starting Friday. I have 25 other schools, but my post is only asking about my state schools. I think the DO school in Indy you are referring to is Marion.

Reactions: 1 user