WAMC for osteopathic medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOaspiringDOC

Reaction score
Lubbock, Texas resident

Male

Asian

20 years old

Just got my MCAT back and the score was 498 (123, 123, 126, 126)

I retook the MCAT from a 490 (124, 123, 121, 122)

(This is my celling unfortunately; I have so much on my plate that I don’t see a retake for now; disappointed with C/P and CARS as I had been scoring higher but can’t do much now)

Current MPH student at Emory University

Undergrad GPA: 3.6

Undergrad SGPA: 3.5

Shadowing Experience: 2 MD and 1 DO

Community Service: I started my own non-profit after my brother was diagnosed with a rare blood cancer. Since inception we have raised thousands of dollars to help individuals with the same type of cancer seek treatment; I also helped build a school for the blind in a third world country one summer.

Research: Clinical Research coordinator for 2.5 years now; dealing with patients as well as behind the scenes of trials

Academic research: Abstract presentation of a patient developing a rare infection while undergoing treatment. Presented findings in Tokyo.

I am mainly interested in DO schools. I fell in love with the philosophy since I was in college and since then haven’t looked back. I am aware my MCAT is holding me back but I have really given my all for the exam and am not dissapointed as I tried my best. I am not the most intelligent person when it comes to exams but I do feel like I work hard. Just want to know where I should apply for DO schools.

Thank you and god bless

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be a good idea to apply to your instate DO schools. I don’t know the name of them off the top of my head right now, but they’re on the DO Explorer on AACOM’s website, that’s a good resource to look at schools. MCAT is not the only metric Adcoms look at, and I’ve known people accepted to DO schools with lower MCAT scores, and someone with your score as well (498)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be a good idea to apply to your instate DO schools. I don’t know the name of them off the top of my head right now, but they’re on the DO Explorer on AACOM’s website, that’s a good resource to look at schools. MCAT is not the only metric Adcoms look at, and I’ve known people accepted to DO schools with lower MCAT scores, and someone with your score as well (498)
So you think I have somewhat of a chance?

So you think I have somewhat of a chance?

I think being an MPH program, decent GPA, and your extracurriculars definitely help your application. I would see if you could find volunteering or clinical experience to do this year while you’re applying. I think that could help add to your application if you find something with patient exposure. Find what makes you stand out amongst other applicants and run with it.

I think being an MPH program, decent GPA, and your extracurriculars definitely help your application. I would see if you could find volunteering or clinical experience to do this year while you’re applying. I think that could help add to your application if you find something with patient exposure. Find what makes you stand out amongst other applicants and run with it.
As a clinical research coordinator, I see patients, draw blood, take vitals, even conduct EKG if needed. Would that be enough for patient exposure?

As a clinical research coordinator, I see patients, draw blood, take vitals, even conduct EKG if needed. Would that be enough for patient exposure?

I'm sorry I missed the part where you said you work with patient's now! I think this is good. I definitley think you should apply and see what happens this cycle. Especially to your instate Texas schools. Also, I know WVSOM has an average MCAT score of ~500, however they do require a DO LOR. Apply broadly.

I'm sorry I missed the part where you said you work with patient's now! I think this is good. I definitley think you should apply and see what happens this cycle. Especially to your instate Texas schools. Also, I know WVSOM has an average MCAT score of ~500, however they do require a DO LOR. Apply broadly.
I have a letter from a DO doc. Seems like all is in place but my score. Regardless, thank you for the advice and I will definitely apply there!

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
UIWSOM
Sam Houston State
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
ATSU-SOMA
WCU-COM