WAMC for Psychiatry? Low USMLE, Avg COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newhope2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Long time lurker here. I've been looking into psychiatry and I am very concerned about matching, as I look deeper into the quality of applicants posting here.
3rd year DO student (NE region, that's all i'll say), very interested in psychiatry.
Do I have a decent chance of matching into an ACGME psychiatry residency?
Any input would be appreciated.

Stats:
Step 1: USMLE 206; COMLEX 518
Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking in June
School: DO school in the NE
Class Rank: Middle
Clerkship Grades (specify if H/P/F system):
Honors for all rotations

Trying to score 240+ and 600+ on Step 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I suspect a high CK would make a *big* difference in your interview invites so it's definitely the right strategy to be taking it early. Are you planning to do any aways? Since you seem strong clinically you seem like the kind of student who would likely benefit by doing an away or two, especially at ACGME university programs with a history of taking some DOs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect a high CK would make a *big* difference in your interview invites so it's definitely the right strategy to be taking it early. Are you planning to do any aways? Since you seem strong clinically you seem like the kind of student who would likely benefit by doing an away or two, especially at ACGME university programs with a history of taking some DOs.
Thank you for the advice Celexa!

I am trying to plan several "away" rotations. Its been super hard, b/c hubby has to watch the kids, while I travel :(
The programs should let me know around April/May.

i had similar step/level 1s but massively improved my Level II, which PDs commented on during interviews. I suggest you crush COMLEX level II. Also, Step2 is unnecessary.

Reactions: 1 users
i had similar step/level 1s but massively improved my Level II, which PDs commented on during interviews. I suggest you crush COMLEX level II. Also, Step2 is unnecessary.
That is encouraging :D
Paid for USMLE already, I keep on hearing a 50/50 split (USMLE step 2 is important vs. meh).

Also, GL! and thank you :D

I recommend picking up the phone and calling the programs you are interested in and asking the coordinator if they require Step2. I did this and not a single program said yes (providing you already have Step1, which is obviously important).

I recommend picking up the phone and calling the programs you are interested in and asking the coordinator if they require Step2. I did this and not a single program said yes (providing you already have Step1, which is obviously important).
There's a big difference between not requiring step 2 and not caring about it. Doing 40 points better on ck can still give a boost to the OP's application even if it's not 'required'.

So here's my experience:
Lower COMLEX I than you, no USMLE.
Same COMLEX II score as my COMLEX I score (2 points higher), no USMLE
Away rotations at my top choices
Good interviewer
Good personal statement

Matched my top choice, a well-regarded program.

You're just better off focusing 100% of your effort into destroying COMLEX Level II and calling it a day.
I had no USMLE Step 2, did the above, interviewed well, applied broadly, and had ample good programs throwing me love.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your insight.
-I am signed up for USMLE step 2
-learned my mistakes from the previous exams
-will be taking USMLE step 2 and intend to place significant effort in both exams.
This is process is far more manageable now, since my inlaws have been super-helpful this year!
I am glad to see that applicants have fared well, with COMLEX alone. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.
Did any of you guys or gals have success applying with a sub-220 USMLE, to programs that listed 220-240 averages on FRIEDA?

I was set to take Step 2 - do you think its unnecessary if one is trying to get into more competitive programs in California (I'm from CA and go to school in CA)?

DO student, low 240s Step 1, 660s Level 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was set to take Step 2 - do you think its unnecessary if one is trying to get into more competitive programs in California (I'm from CA and go to school in CA)?

I would reach out to your programs and ask. They will be honest with you. My experience is that many great programs said no it would not be necessary.

I would reach out to your programs and ask. They will be honest with you. My experience is that many great programs said no it would not be necessary.

Great, thanks, will do. Would you just email a program coordinator for that information...or someone else?

While matching in general might not be an issue with only COMLEX, having USMLE likely reflected extremely well on my application as a DO. If you're good at taking exams, by all means, I wouldn't even hesitate on taking both.

PM me if you have specific questions about this cycle/want more info about my app.

You think Step 2 is unimportant?

We will interview a few people without step II, but no one gets ranked if they don't have it by rank list certification time. I don't think this is a policy that clusters around the more competitive programs. It is probably the other way around. PDs learn to be this way when they match someone who then fails step II and doesn't graduate. More competitive programs may not have had this to worry about. This may be 50/50 on SDN, but it is more 90/10 among PDs so you believe what you wish.

We will interview a few people without step II, but no one gets ranked if they don't have it by rank list certification time. I don't think this is a policy that clusters around the more competitive programs. It is probably the other way around. PDs learn to be this way when they match someone who then fails step II and doesn't graduate. More competitive programs may not have had this to worry about. This may be 50/50 on SDN, but it is more 90/10 among PDs so you believe what you wish.
I think the question here is a DO taking Step 2. At most programs Comlex level 2 suffices. It did at every program I interviewed at.

The 50/50 comment was about whether or not USMLE Step 2 was necessary. I think we ALL agree that Step 2 and/or Level 2 is necessary to be interviewed/ranked. Some of us just don't think the OP needs USMLE Step 2 to be successful.

Right, that was exactly my advice. When I called ~25ish ACGME university programs, the coordinator said "COMLEX Level II alone is fine".

However, you 100% absolutely need your Level/Step IIs submitted to be ranked, and you should 100% take Step 1 in addition to Level I.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to see that applicants have fared well, with COMLEX alone. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.
Did any of you guys or gals have success applying with a sub-220 USMLE, to programs that listed 220-240 averages on FRIEDA?

I know people who did not take USMLE with Level 1 scores below 500 who got interviews at programs that "required" a minimum score of 500 on Level 1. From what I understand, a few places do use those scores as hard cutoffs, but many just post that on FREIDA to discourage weaker applicants from applying. If there's somewhere you want to go but you don't meet their supposed minimums I'd apply anyway. Worst that happens is you don't get an interview and wasted $25.

I won't speak for specific programs, but considering you're over a 240 for Step 1 and your Level 1 is at the 95th percentile, I'd think you'd be fine with just taking Level 2.

Reactions: 3 users
This is nice to hear! I'm not commenting from the perspective of DO, but I really wondered how strict that cutoff was for FREIDA. I'm just assuming some of the FREIDA data is bull**** and applying broadly, including some that may be a "reach" from FREIDA data.
I applied to a program that specifically stated their average matriculant step 1 score (which was significantly higher than mine) on their website. The program wasn't in my geographic region and I had no connections to it either, did not do an away there. Got invited for an interview anyway. My score never came up.

Update: I got my COMLEX and USMLE Step 2/Level 2 scores back!:soexcited:

Step 2: 240
Level 2: 610

Thank you for the encouragement!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know how much weight the MSPE carries? I've got some really strong comments on mine, but unsure how much weight it will pull.

Anyone know how much weight the MSPE carries? I've got some really strong comments on mine, but unsure how much weight it will pull.
My first impulse was to answer "hardly at all", then I thought "well, about 3% do stand out from all of the others that sound exactly the same, and about 5% are really bad." Unless you have something very unique, or don't let at least two other people read and edit it, you are very likely to be in the 92% that it doesn't mean anything. MSPEs are like LORs, most check of the box on the list, but that is about it.