WAMC for real. Brutal honest (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ki-100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian MI resident Yet I am economic disadvantage (granted fee assistance from AACOMAS) and first generation immigrant (hope this offset the affirmative action for me).
cGPA 3.46
sGPA 3.64
MCAT 495, 503.
2yrs hospital volunteer
1yrs research
50hrs shadow
Did a presentation at my school department
Has a certificate for stop blood bleeding

WAMC with two MCAT? Will this hurt my chances a lot. Should I consider other careers or Caribbean. I really hope to get into MSU-COM.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be able to receive interviews at DO schools if you apply broadly. I suggest all these schools:
MSU-COM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
LECOM (all schools)
ICOM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

You should be able to receive interviews at DO schools if you apply broadly. I suggest all these schools:
MSU-COM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
LECOM (all schools)
ICOM
I submitted all the applications already this cycle during Oct. I only got one interview so. I just want to know that my chance for MUS-COM because it is closer to my house so I can save money.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive an interview at MSUCOM but do not depend on one school. Where else did you apply ?
I apply to like 20 schools most schools you mention I have already applied

I apply to like 20 schools most schools you mention I have already applied
One cannot simply demand instant gratification to know whether or not they will get an interview invite or not. Schools will read secondaries and often select students who fit their mission or what they are looking for in a physician. I've known plenty of DO applicants who did not receive an interview until January of their respective cycle - you may have the average stats needed for acceptance into a DO school, but how you sell yourself is up to you. Perhaps your secondary applications may be preventing you from getting any interview invites at this point in the cycle. No one can answer that besides the admissions committee of the respective schools reviewing your application. It is a very long application cycle - stay positive.

Then again, I'm just another applicant like you, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

One cannot simply demand instant gratification to know whether or not they will get an interview invite or not. Schools will read secondaries and often select students who fit their mission or what they are looking for in a physician. I've known plenty of DO applicants who did not receive an interview until January of their respective cycle - you may have the average stats needed for acceptance into a DO school, but how you sell yourself is up to you. Perhaps your secondary applications may be preventing you from getting any interview invites at this point in the cycle. No one can answer that besides the admissions committee of the respective schools reviewing your application. It is a very long application cycle - stay positive.

Then again, I'm just another applicant like you, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I don't know I feel like my race hurting my chance.

I don't know I feel like my race hurting my chance.
I'm over representative in America, I too am Asian. My parents immigrated from the Philippines so technically I am a first generation American. Race does play a factor in admissions, but you just have to play your cards right!

I submitted all the applications already this cycle during Oct. I only got one interview so. I just want to know that my chance for MUS-COM because it is closer to my house so I can save money.

It was still October was yesterday. They’ll get to you when they get to you. Why did you apply so late? If you come across in your secondaries as you are coming across here(at least to me) you might be waiting awhile. You aren’t the only applicant so sit back and relax.

Reactions: 1 user
It was still October was yesterday. They’ll get to you when they get to you. Why did you apply so late? If you come across in your secondaries as you are coming across here(at least to me) you might be waiting awhile. You aren’t the only applicant so sit back and relax.
Because I just took the MCAT around sept.

You retook the MCAT. Why did you wait so long? I just briefly read your post history. It seems you were still doing secondaries last week and hoping to be finished by Thanksgiving?
Are you a reapplicant?

You retook the MCAT. Why did you wait so long? I just briefly read your post history. It seems you were still doing secondaries last week and hoping to be finished by Thanksgiving?
Are you a reapplicant?
No first time and I finished all my secondary now.

Well then just be patient. There is nothing you can do to hurry the process along so find something to do to keep busy.
Ok. Thank you for your advice. I just really want to be a doctor. This is my childhood dream.

MSU-COM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
LECOM (all schools)
ICOM
Add UIW to the wise Faha's list

Asian MI resident Yet I am economic disadvantage (granted fee assistance from AACOMAS) and first generation immigrant (hope this offset the affirmative action for me).
cGPA 3.46
sGPA 3.64
MCAT 495, 503.
2yrs hospital volunteer
1yrs research
50hrs shadow
Did a presentation at my school department
Has a certificate for stop blood bleeding

WAMC with two MCAT? Will this hurt my chances a lot. Should I consider other careers or Caribbean. I really hope to get into MSU-COM.
Your biggest issue is how late your application was. Give them time to see your application. If you do need to reapply, I would boost your non-clinical volunteering. If your shadowing does not include primary care, then get some more shadowing. Did you have to work during college? Maybe highlight this in your application. Apply earlier and strengthen your essays.

Your biggest issue is how late your application was. Give them time to see your application. If you do need to reapply, I would boost your non-clinical volunteering. If your shadowing does not include primary care, then get some more shadowing. Did you have to work during college? Maybe highlight this in your application. Apply earlier and strengthen your essays.
I mean my top goal is MSUCOM. it seems like that the MCAT average is 505-507 and GPA is 3.5-3.6. Well my cGPA and MCAT is below the average so I think I may not competitive enough.

I mean my top goal is MSUCOM. it seems like that the MCAT average is 505-507 and GPA is 3.5-3.6. Well my cGPA and MCAT is below the average so I think I may not competitive enough.

Average means they take people below and above that MCAT. However I did find this:

"The average MCAT score for the incoming class of 2017 was just over 28/505-507. Here the range is somewhat narrower than the GPA review. If you are disappointed with your scores, don’t be afraid to retake the MCAT. Success in medical school requires discipline and perseverance, so they look for individuals who keep trying to improve their performance."

They compare the MCAT range to the GPA range and say the GPA range is a little more flexible than their MCAT. Sure you want to go to MSUCOM, however beggars can't be choosers.

Average means they take people below and above that MCAT. However I did find this:

"The average MCAT score for the incoming class of 2017 was just over 28/505-507. Here the range is somewhat narrower than the GPA review. If you are disappointed with your scores, don’t be afraid to retake the MCAT. Success in medical school requires discipline and perseverance, so they look for individuals who keep trying to improve their performance."

They compare the MCAT range to the GPA range and say the GPA range is a little more flexible than their MCAT. Sure you want to go to MSUCOM, however beggars can't be choosers.
Ok. Thanks for your advice.