• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Mar 18, 2021
Due to personal reason I’m only applying to the Texas schools. I know my stats might look awesome for a lots of schools but I’m only applying to the Texas schools and I know they’re really competitive 🥺 I wonder if my DAT is good enough or should I retake and aim for a higher scores

Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.92
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA 20, TS 20, PA 22, Bio 18, GC 22, OC 20, QR 20, RC 20
State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended: got my associate at a community college and transfered to a university
Major: Biology
Minority? No (wow I didn’t know Asians aren’t minority)
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 130 hrs (mixed between a general dentist, oral surgeon and a pediatric dentist)
Volunteering Experience: 150 hrs (child advocate, nursing home, dog shelter)
Employment: nail tech for 4 years
Research: none
Relevant Honors or Awards: president list
LOR type and strength: 2 letters from science professors at the community college, and one from a dentist (I didn’t shadow this dentist but he has been my dentist/mentor for 4 years and he can speak well on my behalf so I chose him instead of the dentists I shadowed)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list: Texas schools only

Aug 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey there, just wanna say that it’s not that Asians aren’t considered a minority, it’s that they aren’t an underrepresented minority in the field of dentistry (or medicine I believe). Much luck with your apps though, your stats look good and you have a good amount of hours for your ECs! I would look into the average DAT scores and ranges for the Texas schools to get a better idea of whether to retake or not, tbh I don’t think it’s necessary, especially with your GPA.

artist2022

UCLA D3 :)
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Due to personal reason I’m only applying to the Texas schools. I know my stats might look awesome for a lots of schools but I’m only applying to the Texas schools and I know they’re really competitive 🥺 I wonder if my DAT is good enough or should I retake and aim for a higher scores

Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.92
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA 20, TS 20, PA 22, Bio 18, GC 22, OC 20, QR 20, RC 20
State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended: got my associate at a community college and transfered to a university
Major: Biology
Minority? No (wow I didn’t know Asians aren’t minority)
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 130 hrs (mixed between a general dentist, oral surgeon and a pediatric dentist)
Volunteering Experience: 150 hrs (child advocate, nursing home, dog shelter)
Employment: nail tech for 4 years
Research: none
Relevant Honors or Awards: president list
LOR type and strength: 2 letters from science professors at the community college, and one from a dentist (I didn’t shadow this dentist but he has been my dentist/mentor for 4 years and he can speak well on my behalf so I chose him instead of the dentists I shadowed)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list: Texas schools only
Hard to say, the TX schools are known to be pretty competitive even for IS applicants. Your GPAs are good, yes, but your DAT is pretty average. I think in your case it would be best to apply early this cycle and see how it goes. If by August you haven't heard anything back, then I'd schedule a retake for Sept and send your unofficial scores out but prepare to reapply with these new scores early in May 2022.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.