Medical WAMC for URM and what schools should I apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been going back and forth about posting here because I know how blunt you can be but I needed a bit of help forming my school list, due to the fact that I get fee assistance I want to apply wisely. I just want to put out there that I have NOT taken my MCAT yet and I understand that it makes things a bit more difficult but I will estimate. Also I do want to note that when it comes to my academics there is an upward trend and I will explain.

Cumulative GPA Trend
QPSemester HoursGPACum GPA
Freshman30.22.742.74
Sophomore31.43.33.03
Junior24.83.573.18

Science GPA Trend
QPSemester HoursGPACum GPA
Freshman23.52.582.58
Sophomore20.32.962.76
Junior14.83.22.89

I want to note that there are two reasons as to why my freshman sGPA was very low,
1. I took a stats class in high school and averaged out a C, and I had no idea that it would influence my Med school GPA
2. I lost two family members in the span of 6 months and I was going through the grieving process.

By the end of this school year I can see myself having a 3.0 sGPA and a 3.2 cGPA to put things in perspective

MCAT: Haven't taken yet, current FL score: 504 aiming for a 512

State of Residence: CA

Race/Ethnicity: Black Woman ( first gen of immirgrant parents)

Undergrad institution: CA Public School

Clinical Experience
- Clinical Volunteering (In the process) - ~ 300 hours
- Sports Medical Clinic (In the process)- ~ 450 hours

Research Experience and Productivity
- 80 hours of class research (it tooks research for me to understand that I did not LIKE research)

Shadowing
- Currently shadowing a Family medicine doctor- ~ 8 hours

Nonclinical Volunteering
- Food Bank- ~ 15 hours

EC's (I don't know how to measure hours for said EC's but I have been putting well over 3k hours total)
-African Americans United in Science (PRESIDENT) African Americans United in Science is a club that is devoted to the empowerment. I started from a general member --> social media advisor--> president

-African Student Programs- a undergradate resource meant to empower Black scholars through financial, academic and professional
help. I started volunteering as a first year and then moved my way to working for this establishment and they made me who I am today

-African Student Programs Mentorship Program: I gained the ability to not only be mentored but mentored incoming freshman to campus and make their transition to college easier

Black Health Expo: an event aimed toward under developed communties in teaching about healthy lifestyle and workshops all done online, which provided to be a bit of a challenge (currently in the process)

Black Queens Week: Going on for Three years, a week dedicated to the empowerment of Black women through numerous workshops

Black Student Union: general body member all three years

Building Common Ground: Orietation facilitator and leader working to bridge gaps amongst students. Allowing safe spaces

Carribean Student Union Dance Troupe

Fitness Page: In my free time I love to work out so I created a page (and later business) promoting healthy lifestyle and well as motivation

Straight Talk: A podcast I created in the wake of George Floyd to talk about racial injustice and other subjects, currently has over 600 listeners and is international

The Letter Writing Project: An event held in May 2020 to write letters to incarcerated survivors

Relevant Honors/Awards
- Deans List
- Outstanding Student Leader of the Year
- Ambitious Student of the Year
- Community Builder of the Year

I know my stats are not a lot but I'm hoping through holistic review there is something there. I'm pretty self-assured and confident that I can go to Medical School it's just a matter of when. So here's me, more or less. Thank you in advance for any pieces of advice that you have to offer.
Upward trends are always good, but we need to an MCAT to properly advise you.

Members don't see this ad.

As stated above, it's hard to guide without an MCAT score. A few thoughts though on what you DO have:

1. Make sure when you apply you add in the HBCs and DO schools for sure.
2. You will most likely need some sort of GPA repair (post-bac). If you do really well on your MCAT, you MAY still be in range for a DO school without GPA repair (maybe).
3. Only take the MCAT when ready. Do not rush it as this will play a huge role in your chances considering your lower GPA. Make sure you are scoring ABOVE your goal score on practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.