WAMC: GPA 3.4 and MCAT 518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocopuffs

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could give me school recommendations to apply to? I had an undergrad in Bio and Spanish, and had two bad years (2nd/not so much third) because of medical reasons. However, the past three years (my last year of biochem, my nursing degree currently) I have been maintaining 90% averages (which at my school, UBC, is considered the highest scale on its GPA scale) or at least at other Canadian schools at least a 3.8.

I am currently in Nursing in a Canadian university. I am Canadian and study in Canada, but I am also American (born in California) but haven't lived there since I moved to Canada as a child. My father graduated from USC so I might hold alumni status there. However, I am not a Californian resident having lived in Canada since I moved.

I have done multiple research conferences, many lab experiences, work, speak Spanish, I am Asian-American, and am studying Cantonese at the moment. I have Spanish professors that will vouch for my ability to speak Spanish and time studying Spanish. I have lots of hospital volunteer (>400 hours) and years of fulltime lab work. I do not have shadowing because it is looked down upon in Canada to do without being a medical professional. Of course, I hold many club leadership postions, nursing research experience... biochem research ... etc... I just received a nursing research scholarship but I'm unsure if it'd count for my cycle in Canada at least because while I was awarded it now, it's only in effect in August (with the intent that I research full-time in August).

I just feel so lost because I was rejected without interview from my Canadian preferred in-province medical school, even though my medical friends said my ECs were more advanced/rich. I feel like I"m constantly dragging up my GPA and constantly paying for the fact that I did poorly those two years because I was undergoing hospitalization and pain medications.

Thank you so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please provide information in the format provided by the below template:

So you still have American citizenship? One challenge would be convincing schools you want to be a physician since you majored in nursing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please provide information in the format provided by the below template:

So you still have American citizenship? One challenge would be convincing schools you want to be a physician since you majored in nursing.
Sorry if i formatted it wrong! I will try to figure that out. I held my american citizenship still. Sorry for the late response.

Did you apply to any other Canadian MD schools ?
No, only the one from my province! My province only has 1 in-province school, which is the school I study at right now. My fear with other provinces is they prefer their in-province students, and I have a very low GPA.

Can you complete a WAMC? Is your father a graduate of the medical school at USC? How did you perform on Casper?
I have edited my post to be a better formatted WAMC! I apologize for not doing that originally. I really should have checked that before making the post so hastily. My Casper (last time I took it was a year ago in order to apply for accelerated BSN Nursing) was in the top quartile.

No, only the one from my province! My province only has 1 in-province school, which is the school I study at right now. My fear with other provinces is they prefer their in-province students, and I have a very low GPA.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
TCU
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson